IGNORED

Ebay has over 1500 Apple II items for sale

Keatah

This thread kind of kills my hopes...lol. I recently purchased an Apple IIe, and couldn't find a decent deal to save my life on ebay. I was a little shocked that the prices were so nutty on software with as long a production run as it had.

Check Amazon.com too. Pricing there will vary widely, but if it's a common title, you may very well be able to scoop it up pretty cheaply. I've never sold any Apple II stuff there since I don't have a working Apple to test on, but I've sold Commodore and Atari software there at prices that mere mortals (and not just trial lawyers and Fortune 500 executives) can afford.

This thread kind of kills my hopes...lol. I recently purchased an Apple IIe, and couldn't find a decent deal to save my life on ebay. I was a little shocked that the prices were so nutty on software with as long a production run as it had.

Check Amazon.com too. Pricing there will vary widely, but if it's a common title, you may very well be able to scoop it up pretty cheaply. I've never sold any Apple II stuff there since I don't have a working Apple to test on, but I've sold Commodore and Atari software there at prices that mere mortals (and not just trial lawyers and Fortune 500 executives) can afford.

LMAO!

I usually stay away from Amazon, just because the open marketplace is oversaturated with price overpriced items...but I'll keep and eye out. Reminds me I need to get some more carts for my Commodore 64 too. :)

The market supply will eventually dry up and then the price increases will be valid and worthy of whatever is being asked.

Not specific to the Apple II, but I wonder how much the market for old computer hardware will ever really increase (barring some rarities and high-demand items). I would think that most collectors currently have most of what they want, and I cannot imagine that too many newer/younger people will suddently want to start collecing 30+ year-old gear.

Personally, I had a Coco growing up. I gave it away when I moved cross-country some 12 years ago. Occasionally, I see one at a thrift shop or summage sale, and even more rarely, additional hardware that I could never afford as a kid. I have no desire to reaquire anything for my collection -- emulation is far easier to use than original hardware and that adequately meets my needs.

The fewer people who are interested, the fewer items will be preserved. This will keep supply and demand pretty closely linked as items and collectors both attrit.

There will come a time when the amount of stuff preserved or kept in good working order will become rare enough that someone will pay a premium, just because it's truly genuinely rare. It could take a long long time.

It will most likely follow the path of other nostalgia-related collectibles. Those of us who grew up with the stuff (and I'm in my mid-30s, so I'm part of that group) will buy it up as money, time, and space permit. Most of the 8-bit enthusiasts my age are married now and have kids, which ties up a lot of time, money, and space. Eventually, we'll move up in our careers and our kids will go off to college, which will free up a bedroom and/or basement space for a computer collection, so we'll start buying more of it--the stuff we had growing up, and the stuff we never could afford (or find) but always wanted. That increased demand will cause prices to go up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You used to be able to find this stuff easily 10 - 15 years ago when schools & various institutions were dumping this stuff for nothing at auctions or surplus sales... like $5 to $10 per Apple II+ or IIe. If I recall on eBay you never paid much more than $30 - $50 for an Apple II+, and nobody wanted Apple IIe's except maybe the platinum editions.

Now if you want an Apple II+ in excellent condition with working keyboard, maybe some other stuff thrown in like a disk drive or an extra card, the minimum asking price seems to have been raised up to $100.

Is this inflation?

Edited by eccofonic

Now if you want an Apple II+ in excellent condition with working keyboard, maybe some other stuff thrown in like a disk drive or an extra card, the minimum asking price seems to have been raised up to $100.

Is this inflation?

Nope. It's a natural move toward a price range that makes it worth the time and effort to pull these out of the garbage and clean them up.

• Like 1