IGNORED

"Cropky" - new atari game for atarionline's 7th birthday

urborg

Erm... How would one go about displaying the filename of the currently opened .com file without programming a version for each one? Like, where do I find that filename in memory? IOCB block somewhere or somesuch?

I assure you this is relevant in converting to ED. And some, if not most, of you will know why.

Edited by Alphasys

Is this game PAL only?

I don't think so. It works fine on Atari800WinPLus in NTSC mode in any case. Don't have real (NTSC) hardware to test it though.

I know I was able to run it in NTSC mode on Atari800WinPlus but not on my real HW.

Er, just tried this on my real H/W (original download not the ED version) and it crashed.

I get an error when loading the game after the menu which says Error - 2 at addr. 0 ($226f)

Programmenu: Dos, Run or Load?

That's a PAL 800XL with 256Kb, running from my SIO2USB.

EDIT: And just tried again and it works fine!

Edited by spookt

For the people interested in how I made the ED version, a little rundown of what I did.

First, I checked file dependencies by looking at the CTB files. Then figured that everything would fit on an ED floppy if it weren't for DOS.SYS, DUP.SYS and AUTORUN.AR0 (latter is comparable to Autorun.sys on dos2.5). I then noticed that AUTORUN.AR0 is nothing more than a tweaked version of the Turbo-Basic Runtime package which would run by itself (as in, it contains everything it needs in the one file).

So I prepared 2 ED disks, by killing the AUTORUN.AR0 so it would only boot the supplied DOS, then used it to format the 2 ED disks and wrote the dos files on the Side A disk.

I then copied the AUTORUN.AR0 on to Side A and all the other files to the Side B floppy.

Now to prompt the user to flip the disk, I made a tiny TurboBasic listing and compiled it into AUTORUN.CTB, which will seem to run itself, but that is just the "clever" part. It will run itself, prompting the user to flip the disk again, if he/she hadn't yet, but the original AUTORUN.CTB that came with the original disk (and that's now on Side B with the rest of the game files) will start the game. So no matter if the user will forget to do the actual flipping, it won't break the loading order.

The actual game now runs from the B side, while the DOS and TB runtime with intro screens reside on the A side.

For the ones interested in the listing of the only thing I actually added:

10 GRAPHICS 2+16

20 DPOKE 708,0:DPOKE 710,0

30 POKE 764,255

40 POSITION 3,4:PRINT #6;"CROPKY LOADER"

50 POSITION 5,6:PRINT #6;"FLIP DISK"

60 POSITION 9,7:PRINT #6;"&"

70 POSITION 4,8:PRINT #6;"PRESS SPACE"

80 FOR X=0 TO 14

90 POKE 708,X:PAUSE 2

100 NEXT X

110 WHILE PEEK(764)<>33:WEND

120 FOR X=14 TO 0 STEP -1

130 POKE 708,X:PAUSE 2

140 NEXT X

150 POKE 764,255

160 RUN "D:AUTORUN.CTB"

So the ED disks only contain the files as provided on the original DD disk, with exception of this little listing, compiled as AUTORUN.CTB on Side A.

That's all there was to it.I could maybe have beautified it etc, but since the entire game is already so nice and this was enough to make it go, why should I? Would just have taken longer to load and doesn't add any functionality.

Edited by Alphasys

Er, just tried this on my real H/W (original download not the ED version) and it crashed.

I get an error when loading the game after the menu which says Error - 2 at addr. 0 ($226f)

Programmenu: Dos, Run or Load?

That's a PAL 800XL with 256Kb, running from my SIO2USB.

EDIT: And just tried again and it works fine!

I just tried it again and crashes in the same place. :(

Thanks Alphasys :thumbsup: the game now works on my 130XE/1050...

but... the disk loads take forever, it re-loads each stage after each go, even if you're playing the same stage ... the game needs tweaking to leave some code in RAM. The win/lose graphics are cute but the re-loading makes it almost unplayable on real hardware :sad:

:)

I just tried it again and crashes in the same place. :(

After reading therealbountybob's response, I'm getting pretty sure there's some NTSC compatibility issue that messes it up for you.

Thanks Alphasys :thumbsup: the game now works on my 130XE/1050...

but... the disk loads take forever, it re-loads each stage after each go, even if you're playing the same stage ... the game needs tweaking to leave some code in RAM. The win/lose graphics are cute but the re-loading makes it almost unplayable on real hardware :sad:

:)

Thanks for letting me know it works on real hardware too. But I doubt that would have been broken due to my modification for ED. Maybe this will help the developers to make an even better version. But it's a fun game, even if you play it on an emulator to make it more playable...

Edited by Alphasys

but... the disk loads take forever, it re-loads each stage after each go, even if you're playing the same stage ... (...) The win/lose graphics are cute but the re-loading makes it almost unplayable on real hardware :sad:

This is where a fast harddisk could be your friend. :)

but... the disk loads take forever, it re-loads each stage after each go, even if you're playing the same stage ... (...) The win/lose graphics are cute but the re-loading makes it almost unplayable on real hardware :sad:

This is where a fast harddisk could be your friend. :)

Yes order placed, get cracking ;)

[edit] though not an excuse for sloppy programming (not saying this is) developers please test on real hardware and support it where you can :thumbsup:

If somebody hasn't already noticed. Atarionline site celebrate it's 7th birthday. New game called "Cropky" has been released on that occasion. some screenshots:

Cropky_(p1).png

Cropky_(p2).png

Cropky_(p3).png

Cropky_(p4).png

Cropky_(p5).png

Cropky_(p7).png

More can read here. In polish unfortuantely, but you can always use google translate.

Download here

:ponder: Is this only available as download or are they selling it on cart?

If it is not available on cart, can it be put on an Atarimax cart?

Also: Did they fix the NTSC compatability issue?

Edited by Defender II

I have played this game from my harddisk (blackbox) and it works fan-tas-tic! It is indeed a bit slow on sio based drives but it is superb on harddisk.

I would prefer a play again after losing a game without the need of going back to main menu every time...

Edited by Marius1976

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a fun game. Maybe it will even have some appeal for my wife, and I can finally get her to play an Atari game with me. :-)

I've tried getting it to work with Atari800 on Linux, but without success. I'm running Atari800 2.1.0 (I know that the code for 2.2.0 is out, but I'm waiting for the final distribution). I also can't get it to work with Atari800MacX 2.1.0. In each case, I've tried both PAL and NTSC.

Has anyone else run Cropky with either of the above emulators?

I'm also running MacOSX on an iBook G4, as well as the LTS distribution of Ubuntu 10.

T

This looks like a fun game. Maybe it will even have some appeal for my wife, and I can finally get her to play an Atari game with me. :-)

I've tried getting it to work with Atari800 on Linux, but without success. I'm running Atari800 2.1.0 (I know that the code for 2.2.0 is out, but I'm waiting for the final distribution). I also can't get it to work with Atari800MacX 2.1.0. In each case, I've tried both PAL and NTSC.

Has anyone else run Cropky with either of the above emulators?

I'm also running MacOSX on an iBook G4, as well as the LTS distribution of Ubuntu 10.

T

Works fine for me in Atari800MacX. Try turning off the fast SIO patch. I had it set to a standard PAL 130XE with BASIC disabled. Be warned it does a lot of loading so be patient.

I did once see the same error I reported above but hitting reset fixed it.

Works fine for me in Atari800MacX. Try turning off the fast SIO patch. I had it set to a standard PAL 130XE with BASIC disabled. Be warned it does a lot of loading so be patient.

Thanks for the help. I tried your settings, but with no success. It loads up to the title screen and then stops loading altogether. I have even left it for a little while to see if it would be finished when I got back.

I'll keep tweaking the settings. Maybe I'll get it to work yet.

Thanks for the help. I tried your settings, but with no success. It loads up to the title screen and then stops loading altogether. I have even left it for a little while to see if it would be finished when I got back.

I'll keep tweaking the settings. Maybe I'll get it to work yet.

Did you try pressing space at the title screen?

Edited by spookt

Did you try pressing space at the title screen?

Oops. It was that easy. It's working now on my Linux Atari800. I'll have to try the Mac next time I have it booted up.

Thanks!

I wish coders would stop doing this space bar business :twisted: programs should also have joystick fire option too - think of people who have their atari under the TV, boot the game, sit down on their comfy sofa and then have to get up again... argh me aching bones ;) (Worse for those games where you have to press start (not fire) after each go)