IGNORED

Season 7 Round 3 - Spy Hunter

CGQuarterly

Welcome to week 2 of the 7th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

Deadline for this round is Sunday, May 7.

Twin Galaxies now requires people to create an account and log in if they wish to view high scores. I object to this, and as a result I will no longer be listing TG high scores with each round's game.

This week's game is going to be Spy Hunter

Title: Solomon's Key

Developer: Sunsoft

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: September, 1987 (US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lweW_pfV6Pg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9n6-qRxoM

I'll post the standings later...

Edited by Jibbajaba

Wow, this game is pretty tough.

I searched online for a manual, but I was unable to find anything substantial. I was only able to get a few simple instructions, although that may be all there is to find. Does anyone know how the scoring works for this game? Do you only score points for distance traveled or do you also score points for enemies destroyed? It's hard to tell when you take out an enemy vehicle if the points added were from the enemy or just because you're moving forward.

Also, is there any way to add time to the timer, or is what you start with is all you get?

At any rate here's my pathetic first score: 17,555.

post-27362-0-53937000-1303449531_thumb.png

Wow, this game is pretty tough.

I searched online for a manual, but I was unable to find anything substantial. I was only able to get a few simple instructions, although that may be all there is to find. Does anyone know how the scoring works for this game? Do you only score points for distance traveled or do you also score points for enemies destroyed? It's hard to tell when you take out an enemy vehicle if the points added were from the enemy or just because you're moving forward.

Also, is there any way to add time to the timer, or is what you start with is all you get?

At any rate here's my pathetic first score: 17,555.

post-27362-0-53937000-1303449531_thumb.png

I'm not sure if you get points for killing the enemies. It's tough to tell. :ponder:

You can't add time to your timer.

I had the same problem, Sonic. You gotta be quick with this one, folks....once you see the Game Over screen, snap that screen shot (either in emulation or on a camera) quick! It only stays up a few seconds and NEVER shows the high score again, making this one a bitch to capture.

First game, and I had a high score of 77,800. Sad to say, though, due to the screw up no pic to prove it. :(

I'm sure I can get a higher score later with pratice, though. :P

I will give some hints to people, though:

As much fun as it is to speed down the road at race speeds, don't do it! Since we're going for high score here, play carefully. Drive slowly most of the time, using quick speed bursts to get a troublesome enemy off your tail or get out of a jam. Do your best to avoid hitting or crashing civilan cars and bikes, as that suspends the score timer for a few seconds (you'll see it flash). Nurse the weapons...the oil slick is the best one, as the smoke screen can take out civies also and you can't shut it off. Shooting copters down with missles is high points but hard to do...you need to play chicken with the copter and stay in one spot till your missle hits, then slow down and carefully drive around the crater. Try to hit the water if you can -- the water scenes are good for points. You're always getting points as you drive, so just nurse the game and get that score up. Back in the day I used to get 200-300k on this on a good day.

Oh, and I DO love the Peter Gunn theme. :cool:

Edited by SoulBlazer

ok I got a picture just in time!

fca43e92.jpg

the game is purely survival based… you get more points the faster you drive, but are at higher risk to die from a collision…

I play agressive and fast at first to get the first extend, then I take it easy just playing for survival…

and the winter sucks! driving on snow/ice roads is a pain!!!

Edited by Sonic R

Yes, it's a struggle between fast driving/fast points and slow driving/slow points. I tend to play at a 'medium' speed.

Did another game, did even better, and got the screen shot this time!

New High Score for now: 85275

BTW, I think this one is the BEST port of the game, hand down. ;)

post-24464-0-02478900-1303522673_thumb.png

Edited by SoulBlazer

Funny, Robot Chicken is playing a Spy Hunter spoof right now. This game is hard. I'm starting to think that every arcade port to the NES was just hell. Its fun, but its hell too.

Thats all I got right now. I'm sure I'll improve on that, but I don't know that I'll get 50k like some have already. Id be happy to get the extra car at 30k.

So, is everyone ready to admit defeat and bow down to the Spy Hunter master? :twisted:

Yeah, i admit defeat.

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!

But, second place ain't bad. :)

Well played everyone! :) :thumbsup:

Heh, it did take a lot of playing time to get a score that good, and some carefull nursing of lives. :)

But there's still over a week left....I'm not going to feel too confident about winning this yet.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...