IGNORED

Help me learn to love the Atari 2600!

Kyle Orland

I did not read much other than "Replying to Help me learn to love the Atari 2600!" Here is the reason I love the Atari 2600 .............. Adventure. Simple as that. I played it at my quasi friend Toby Boldens' house when I was 12 or 13 and I have been hooked ever since. There ya go with a simple way to know if you love the 2600 or not.

I didn't have a lot of access to the VCS as a child. I had seen one, and played it very little but I grew up with the NES as well. We have a very similar starting point with the VCS so I think I might be able to help a little here.

It would help if you were a "high score gamer". That being the kind of person that finds it fun to increase that simple number and not much more. The thing most people coming from the NES have a hard time getting over is the lack of an "ending" to the game. The story to these games is all in the manual that came with the game the vast majority of the time. In a lot of cases a lot of imagination is needed to see the game properly. The proper mindset is needed to start to enjoy the VCS more when you don't have the childhood start many members here have.

I would start with Berzerk. Its what I have started a few friends on. For starters if you weren't old enough to play the VCS as a child its unlikely you have played Berzerk in an arcade so you don't get to wish it was a perfect arcade port (thought IMO its one of the best ports on the VCS). Its also a pile of fun, the game moves and changes more then many others VCS games, and the challenge increases in a way that is much more common to the NES gamer. NES gamers are used to the skill level increasing from level to level and Berzerk does that from room to room. If you hate Berzerk for some odd reason don't give up on the VCS, but its cheap, very common, and any lot you get for the VCS is likely to include the game anyway. I'm sure you can get a copy here for a buck if nothing else. Hell I might have an extra copy somewhere myself.

Like others have said the history of the VCS is very interesting to me and that helps my interest level in the games. Everything about the VCS draws me to it, the art, the styling of the advertisement and the shape of the hardware are all period specific and unique to this system. Its just very cool to live this kind of history in an active way LONG after most people assume it to be a completely dead fad.

I might actually have a VCS, controllers, and jitter free paddles I can sell. Let me look around and figure out what I have. Send me a PM some time and I'll try to get you a starter kit around $50.

• Like 1

I can't remember a time when I didn't have the 2600. I guess my experience differs from others on this thread in that I was at least always aware of it as the 2600 since I was born in 1980 and my earliest memories of the system are from 1983 or '84. I did move on to the NES in 1986 and I will say that at the time I definitely was impressed by the increased play control and graphics of the NES and the fact that the games had an ending. However, I still played the 2600 in parallel with the NES until my parents in their infinite wisdom decided to get rid of it when we moved (they sold the 2600 with 50 games for $50 when we moved. I still consider this remarkably nearsighted).

Anyhow, in later years I have gone back to playing these games because they're incredibly fun. When people come over I play with them and the multiplayer Atari games (especially Warlords) are just a blast to play even in this day and age. I recommend trying some of the multi-player games with some friends who may not necessarily be gamers and find the fun of the experience. Someone else likened the experience to cards or a board game and I think there is something to some of these 2600 games that are like "party games" that are easy to play in a social setting rather than large time consuming things that pull the player OUT of the social setting like modern games.

I'm not sure if that helps but I would be curious to read about your findings.

I think one of the most important things, in addition to the other great advice on this thread, is begin your 2600 experience not looking down your nose at the technology. If you go into the Wizard of Oz thinking, "OMG black and white and you can totally tell this is a movie set ugh!" then your experience is ruined almost before it started. Give the games a chance by playing them for a little while before you decide they're lame, just like you need to sit most movies through to really decide their worth.

I think the history point is valid too. To fully appreciate the Wizard of Oz, it helps to understand the fact that at the time it was the most technologically advanced film ever made, that the transition from black and white to color after the tornado was a wonderful surprise to audiences back then, etc. If you understand the history behind classic gaming, it will definitely help you to better appreciate what you're looking at when you put in an Atari cart.

Good luck!

Since NES to you is what Atari is to me then I think your list of questions is like a kid wanting to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. NES is your training wheels so your first lesson on Atari should be on your NES. What you need is an NES, NES Advantage, and Arkanoid paddle. Play games like Arkanoid, Bump 'n' Jump, BurgerTime, California Games, Crackout, Defender II, Donkey Kong Classics, Ghostbusters, Gyruss, Joust, Millipede, Ms. Pac Man, Othello, Pac-Man, Pinball, Popeye, Q*bert, Rampage, Spy Hunter, Super Pitfall, or any other game that is like an Atari game. Only use the NES Advantage or other NES Joysticks. Rotate between playing joystick games and Arkanoid with it's paddle. Write down high scores, try to get where you can't get any higher, and compete with a friend. Play your NES as an Atari. When you have mastered that lesson come back and tell us what you learned.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still working Craigslist to get a working system/games and obtaining a copy of Racing the Beam as recommended.

Even though I grew up with an NES, I'm not averse to high score challenges. In fact, I had the Twin Galaxies World Record for Balloon Fight Game C for a while, before it was shattered by someone with much more free time, apparently. I'm also a fan of quite a few of the arcade games mentioned here, so I'm looking forward to trying the ports.

I'll do my best to keep the context of the period in mind when playing these games, but I'm a bit worried about how successfully I'll be able to do this, so many years later. I try not to be snobby about fancy graphics and such, but it's going to be hard to capture the novelty of controlling something on a TV screen for the first time when I've been doing it routinely for over two decades now, in much more sophisticated ways. Maybe blasting the Duran Duran will help =)

Dokken: Into the Fire was cooler ;)

My first ever played game was Berzerk for the 2600/VCS in 82-83, so I'd recommend it for a great start. Another forgotten early title is Starship. It has a few different styles of play in it's game selections.

I also put together starter sets at reasonable prices.

Even though I am young compared to others who grew up on the NES, I personally did grow up on the Atari 2600. We always got the bargain bin games, and LOVED it when Big Lots put all the Atari games on clearance in the early 90's. I will ALWAYS associate Big Lots with Atari. :)

I'm right at the middle age to where I'm surrounded by people playing the new games, but grew up on the old games.

It is most definitely a personal arcade experience. Its mostly score based, and most importantly, it is still one of the most difficult systems to play on. Games today don't hold a candle to how difficult games are on the 2600, because it was to replicate the arcade experience, as close as possible. They wanted to make sure you had to take the time to master the game, not rely on multiplayer to be the difficulty/longevity of the game, unlike today's games.

Being you have records on Twin Galaxies, I definitely see you enjoying the Atari 2600. The games are most definitely unique in their own way also.

If you want a cheap, challenging game, give Crackpots a try. Definitely play Kaboom! as well, that game is just simply amazing for its simple yet difficult concept.

Also, play some Journey when you play, it'll increase the experience. ;)

Edited by keilbaca

I was the first responder in this thread and I can't believe I didn't think to mention the "high score" aspect of Atari.

Absolutely--if you traditionally don't care about score in video games, you're wasting your time looking for fun on the 2600. But if you send submissions to Twin Galaxies then you certainly care enough about score to potentially enjoy some 2600 titles.

Even if you generally "care about" scores, it always helps to have targets to surpass. Like somebody already pointed out, check out the high score club on this website. They run little mini-competitions on different games every week or two.

Over the years, from NES to Genesis to Playstation and beyond, I had completely lost touch with my inner score hound because I primarily played games that had endings and scoring was included either as an afterthought or not at all. But now, the pendulum has swung back the other way for me. I just find many of the modern wannabe-interactive-movie type games so empty and pointless, regardless of how amazing the graphics are. I mean, where's the competitive edge on these games? How do I challenge a friend to a game of Heavy Rain?

Interesting original post.

I have great childhood memories around the 2600. Many afternoons spent with an hour Atari first, soccer later; with friends and without. Great feeling coming home from school, turning music up loud and playing Atari.

Nowadays, after a 20 year long gap, I still enjoy playing those old games, with a difference, it´s only Stella and StellaDS now.

Truth is, I have played StellaDS Atari´s more on my DS than genuine DS games.

How can Mario Kart and Call of Duty lose against the 2600?

Maybe it´s because I expect nothing else from a gaming diversion than...diversion. Total diversion. 15 minutes of high power entertainment, enough for a coffee break. No rules, no character setups, no multiple options, no keyboard settings etc.

This has been my gaming ideal ever since :) More arcade gaming than, say, RPGs. Fast shooting action and less Chess :D

This "Great feeling coming home from school, turning music up loud and playing Atari." still works for me with Stella DS or the AtariAnniversiary GBA cartridge.

If you see the technical side of video games, graphics, layouts etc, and less the "fun for 15 minutes" aspect, if you want to immerse into a real looking fictional world, then the 2600 might not be much more than a frustrating or at most, "interesting" gaming experience how it must have been in the Eighties for you.

The "You need original hardware!" is a must for me only when the Atari Lynx is concerned. 2600 games (and GameGear games) nowadays play easiest on a DS for me. The 2600 and joysticks do not arouse that "cool gadget!" feeling for me :)

Simple, just get a 2600 console and a bunch of games, the rest of the process will take off from there.Then you'll soon learn why so many and yourself will love the 2600.The simplicity, (most of the games that is) are easy to learn, and mostly addictive as heck.Sure there are the bad games, but what system doesn't have bad games.One can go on and on why the 2600 is so great, like i said, just hook up a console and you'll see.I recommend an actual 2600 console and cartridges if possible, cus NOTHING beats having the original consoles and game cartridges no matter how good or accurate an emulator you may be using.Most emulators i've tried have incorrect game sounds, or missing completely, and other things as well that aren't accurate.Oh, BTW, i don't know what emulators are like now, but the ones i tried awhile back weren't great.Emulation may be the only way future classic gaming fans can enjoy the 2600, so it's a positive thing.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 2

Well, after striking out on Craigslist for a few days, I broke down and bought a complete system w/ some games on eBay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1505966197901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150596619790&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Not the most thrilling list of games (to my untrained eye), but the price seemed right, and it seems to have everything I need save for paddles. Now I await the delivery. Feel free to tell me if I got ripped off.

Well, after striking out on Craigslist for a few days, I broke down and bought a complete system w/ some games on eBay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1505966197901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150596619790&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Not the most thrilling list of games (to my untrained eye), but the price seemed right, and it seems to have everything I need save for paddles. Now I await the delivery. Feel free to tell me if I got ripped off.

Looks good to me. :)

It´s a fine offer :)

I think you´ll enjoy Asteroids, Night Driver and the wonderfully trashy Basketball!

Space Invaders, Missile Command and Adventure are simply classics; these are all games I am sure about and which I´d consider "good" and "valuable for a long time".

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Simple, just get a 2600 console and a bunch of games, the rest of the process will take off from there.Then you'll soon learn why so many and yourself will love the 2600.The simplicity, (most of the games that is) are easy to learn, and mostly addictive as heck.Sure there are the bad games, but what system doesn't have bad games.One can go on and on why the 2600 is so great, like i said, just hook up a console and you'll see.I recommend an actual 2600 console and cartridges if possible, cus NOTHING beats having the original consoles and game cartridges no matter how good or accurate an emulator you may be using.Most emulators i've tried have incorrect game sounds, or missing completely, and other things as well that aren't accurate.Oh, BTW, i don't know what emulators are like now, but the ones i tried awhile back weren't great.Emulation may be the only way future classic gaming fans can enjoy the 2600, so it's a positive thing.

There is something to flipping the switch on a 2600 that nothing else can touch. It just isn't the same when you don't have to push the select switch down 20 times to get to the right game only to go all the way back around if you get to 21. And lets not forget the B/W switch, thats a nice touch too.

• Like 1