IGNORED

Help me learn to love the Atari 2600!

Kyle Orland

I'm one of those who find the original VCS controller ideal. I continued to use it when I got a C64. As opposed to button controllers, it allows for easy diagonals and smooth transitions between directions, which are often essential; all of the games for that console were written with that controller in mind. I find the major trend toward button controllers to be unfortunate; it's the result of the immense popularity of the NES from 1985 onward.

This brings up the perspective of "what you first became used to," because I grew up with the VCS, and wasn't crazy about anything on the NES besides the Super Mario games. The system represented the beginning of the same-old-platformer-with-merely-different-graphics and great-another-scrolling-shooter paradigms that plagued gaming in general until Wolfenstein 3-D and Doom happened.

Along with the fact that it was my first controller, I understand that my preference for it is based on the facts that I have big hands, meaning that I never found the base too thick, and that I'm right-handed.

• Like 1

Hey AtariAgers,

This is a bit late, but the article you guys helped me with is up at http://www.escapistm...Colored-Glasses

Thanks to everyone for their advice, and I hope you like the piece.

-KO

Very interesting article, even though I am younger, I grew up on the Atari 2600, then I went straight to SNES.

I agree with a couple of posters on there. Gather three friends, feed them some alcohol and play some Warlords. If you can swing it, get the homebrew game, Medieval Mayhem from the store here. Its a lot more faithful arcade version of Warlords.

You get past the graphics quite easily once the balls really start traveling fast and you're trying to protect your base. Its a blast, its one of my all time favorite games, and I plan on eventually building me a Warlords arcade cabinet, with either Castle Crisis (Perfect port of the arcade game for the Atari 5200/Atari 400/800/XEGS), finding a Warlords arcade pcb online, or Medieval Mayhem.

If you want that "best score on the block" feeling, I highly suggest joining us in the Atari 2600 High Score Club. We pick a game once a week, and we play the game, posting pictures of high scores, to try to top the other.

If you want one that's a more permanent set of boards, there's the RetroCade boards that he just started. Same thing, post a pic, but they can be played at anytime.

Good article, but somewhat one sided. If I was Joe Schmoe from the street, and read that article, I think it would turn me off from the 2600. The article basically said to me, if you've got no nostalgia for old games, it's not worth the hassle. This is obviously not true because we see a lot (well, not a WHOLE lot) of younger people who are getting into classic gaming, who have previously never touched an actual console.

I know the Atari 2600 is near and dear to a lot of people's hearts, but I've just never seen the appeal. Even when compared to my beloved NES, the games seem overly simple and relatively ugly, to me. Obviously I don't have any pleasant childhood memories associated with the system, so the nostalgia factor is working against me, but that doesn't seem to stop people from enjoying classic films, opera, classical music, etc. Why can't I learn to love the gems of the Atari 2600 library in the same way?

since you don't have nostalgia on your side you would only be able find value in the games with good gameplay. and since you can't bear the graphics it probably has to be the system's best games to make you forget about the graphics and just focus on the gameplay. I'd recommend games like Enduro, Dolphin, Seaquest, Centipede, Space Invaders. i think these games are really addictive and fun. but check out the top 100 thread for the best games. if these games do nothing for you I would say the system is just not for you and you can't force yourself to like it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i was born in 83 and first time i fell in love with the 2600 was when i was 4 or 5 i went with my parents to a party at a friends house. Because i was one the only kids there they let me play their VCS 2600 so i had something to do.

Still remember it was Missile Command and i had the best time playing it with all the different colors as i passed stages. Trouble they hard then was i cracked a big stink having a big cry when it was time to go home :)

Following birthday (1988) my mum bought me a 2600jr with three games Realsports boxing,Midnight Magic and Adventure. Was very happy but wanted to play that other game known as Missile Command.

About 6 months later friends of family found out i had a 2600 and where throwing games at me left ,right and center.

I had 41 carts in total before getting my SNES ,including my beloved Missile Command along with some very good titles.

Unfortunately i never had Pitfall though but had others like Missile Command,Dig Dug,Decathlon,Air Sea,Combat,Adventure,Megamania,Planet Patrol,Defender,Phoenix,Vangard,Venture and many more i feel in love with.

Every time i play one of them games it just makes memories run through my brain ,as does the SNES and Sega also with Mortal Kombat and other titles like that

Does it Matter What hardware you get? : Answer is No. It just depends on what you like looking at. My Personal favorite is the "Darth Vader" Model, also because of it being the cheapest one available.

The System Came with two Joysticks and Two paddles, It all depends, Paddles, are easy to find, and cheap, Joysticks cheaper, you only need 1 of each, but Paddles come in a set of two anyway (2 hooked into 1 chord) Yes, i would buy two of both... but you only need one. Paddles are for Paddle games (Kaboom!, Circus Atari, Warlords, and more) Theirs also a driving controller that does more movement than the Paddle, but its the same thing, except its used for Indy 500, and does more 360 movement, and its cheaper, but only used for really 1 game. But i would start out with a Joystick.

Ebay should be a last resort, Unless its a "buy-it-now" because auctions are a pain, so i would first check Craigslist, because Ive seen Systems with like 50 games go for free on Craigslist before, try that, then Amazon.com has a section for the Atari, but its a little more expensive, but their pretty sure to work, beacuse you can get your money back on Amazon, and not eBay because most people say "sold as is' and that usually mean its really damaged or broken.

The Atari system is really common, so 20-50 bucks is about the price now. As for games, Most common games go on eBay for 3-5 dollars a piece now, some will go for a lot more, but here on Atari Age we have a rarity guide, most rarity 5 and up will be price highly. Basic games like Indy 500, Combat, Basic Math, E.T., Defender, Asteroids, Berserk, Video Pinball, Haunted House, Space Invaders go for $3-5, I can go on forever, but you get it. Try to get the cheap stuff first, System, Controller, Game, that's how you should start out. Say you have $100 to spend on Atari, You could probably get a system , controller(s) and anywhere from 20-30 games (Cheap ones, anyway, Look for Buy-it-now lots on ebay!)

I should also mention that Activision's games are the best!

When you buy a system, most Atari 2600s still work today, but most eBay sellers sell either ones that work, or don't, but It's easy to tell just by looking at the condition.

The games, Well thats up to you, what you like, I'd Personally say games like, Boxing, Haunted House, Defender, Asteroids.

No, i would not like to loan or sell you anything Atari Related.

For the sake of argument ...

Does it Matter What hardware you get? : Answer is No. It just depends on what you like looking at. My Personal favorite is the "Darth Vader" Model, also because of it being the cheapest one available.

If you just want to play, sure, any model will work. But there are differences which can play an important role in the collectability and playability:

Heavy and light 6'ers: All switches easily accessible on the front. The Heavy is most sought after, due to it being the first model, and there are fewer of them.

4 switchers: Difficulty switches on back, if used frequently, may find them harder to use in-game.

Jr.: newer, more ergonomic model. Some people feel they are cheaply built.

Ebay should be a last resort, Unless its a "buy-it-now" because auctions are a pain, so i would first check Craigslist, because Ive seen Systems with like 50 games go for free on Craigslist before, try that, then Amazon.com has a section for the Atari, but its a little more expensive, but their pretty sure to work, because you can get your money back on Amazon, and not eBay because most people say "sold as is' and that usually mean its really damaged or broken.

I'm not arguing for eBay, because I know a lot of people have had problems with "as is" auctions. However, in my experience, an "as is" auction may not be a bad thing. Often you can get a product cheaply, and if it doesn't work out of the box, a bit of tinkering and cleaning can get it working. I've personally bought a few "as is" auctions, and was able to get them working just fine with a little elbow grease. Atari consoles are quite stout.

From the article:

<i>Would kids growing up today see my beloved NES as a similar anachronism that can't hold a candle to the Wii titles they grew up with? </i>

Yes.

See, this is where I think that the article falls apart. The writer writes as an expert on video games but hasn't been "around the block" enough to know that the people of this generation see the NES like how he considers the Atari. There are some fundamental differences between the gameplay in the Atari and NES as he brings up due to the technological advances that occurred between the creation of the 2600 and the NES. As with both systems those who care only for the brightest graphics will always go with the most recent stuff. Those who care about a fun gaming experience may well go back to the games of yesteryear and give them a try.

I am one of the people who did grow up with the 2600. I don't remember a time when we didn't have it. We got the NES when I was 6 but I still played the 2600 off and on until I was 10. Yet I've gone back to play classic computer games that I didn't play when I was a kid and I find some of those fun. Its all about whether a game is good or not and every system in every era has had its share of good games and bad games. Even board games have their good games and bad games. To me its all about how open-minded you can be to open yourself up to the experience. It sounds like the writer, having some experience with arcade games was able to put himself partially into the right mindset for the 2600 experience but didn't completely get past the graphics

I really wish he'd talked some about Warlords. If he didn't get to that game then I think he was missing out on one of the GREAT 2600 experiences AND a great party game.

I think there were a lot of truths in this article but for someone who is either from my generation or within just a few years of my generation I find it odd to treat the 2600 like its obsolete junk. I knew plenty of other kids in the 80's with 2600's even after the NES came out so I'm surprised the writer apparently didn't know anyone from that same period.

• 5 years later...

wow this post is close to 6 years old... but hey, all things Atari 2600 never get old I say..
I went on Google and entered this on the search: I love atari 2600 graphics (which is true to my case) and this post came right up at number one!

I read a couple of pages and noticed no one said what I'd like to say here (even though it is not aimed at the poster, just my own thought)

With that said:

I guess I'm forever in love with Atari 2600 graphics and sound (in a way many don't?) well I think it is iconic (yes) but even in a more literal form!

sprites are more like icons that represent. And that's an appeal (imo) that a few systems had (specially the Atari 2600) back in the day!

I even like the blocky 48 color clocks by 192 scan lines playfield! it's just unique in its art form! try making something out of it and you have my respect!

I like the blocky graphics because each block can be distinguished and even counted!

The colors are awesome too... I also like its unique way to color things by scan line!

I like its limitations on sound, I like its flicker when more than its intended 2 players are on the same horizontal level... you see.. I love the Atari 2600 for what it is and so I appreciate all it showcases its own way.. So yeah I am happy to see some folks squeeze into it to get a bit more "high res"? heheheh!

the only thing I frown upon is the flat Square player in Adventure... I mean, a square as the player? well.. I will accept it as unique too...

to finish up... see my support to the Atari 2600 way of graphics and easy (no programming) game making here: http://aloan.site90.net

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 1

I grew up on Nintendo and genesis. But I'm big on movie games and that's what initially pushed me to get a 7800. The trick is to stay away from shitty games. And there is alot. I tend to enjoy the games that resemble gameplay from NES. 7800 was the equivalent of NES and had games great games like Ninja golf, karateka, pole position, ms pacman, galaga, choplifter, alien brigade, double dragon and potentially the best game the unreleased Missing In Action.

In terms of 2600, Halloween, yard revenge, galaxian, ms pacman, double dragon, krull, star wars arcade, Solaris, flash Gordon, masters of the universe, secret quest, swordquest games, raiders of the lost ark, tapper, and so many more. I also liked ET, dont know why it got that much hate.im not a fan of the majority of games beyond that. How ever home brew games have breathed new life into the scene. There is some impressive things going on in 2600 and 7800 development as of late and now were awaiting the release of Toki. In 2017. That shit is crazy.

Games like MK and street fighter are making impressive strides and there is even an fps in the works. A secret not so secret game I may or may not have succeeded in bringing here with help is or isn't on the horizon. And this is all going on in 2017. It may have been hard to choose an Atari over an NES or something even earlier like a colecovision, but today there is more reason to play than ever. The quality of games released today surpass the quality of those in the past sometimes and that's an awesome thing when you think about it. These are fans keeping something great alive. Regardless of the war that once took place,

Its never been a better time to play Atari. NES came and saw but the greatest things for Atari have already happened in the not so distant past, recent times and are continuing well into the future. We pretty much got what we could out of NES. This community makes sure we keep getting more out of it. The thing you refuse to let die. And for good reason. As long as more conventional type games keep releasing, there could be a major resurgence. Not enough people know of Halo on 2600 and even less have an Atari to play it. That's what emulators for but it honestly takes something away from the experience for me. I will always prefer original hardware. My 7800 still gets as much use as my ps4.

To be honest, here is what I believe (and I could be wrong) BUT,

for example: Atari (I guess Atari) released or allowed the release of the flashback... ok great! awesome! But....

why the hell did they not allow the little console to accept incoming homebrew or new developments? it was supposed to be Atari 2600 reborn!

In my opinion it should be an alternative in this future day and age! an alternative to anyone who would like to play an Atari 2600...

Let it be alive.. let it have new games let it continue to survive, just let it be the eternal Atari 2600...

but no, they limit it...

Same thing should have happened to Intellivision, Colecovision, NES, SNES, GENESIS and the mighty NEO GEO!

anyway: I like to leave this link: http://aloan.site90.net/atari_graphics_simplified.html

Edited by Aloan