IGNORED

1010 help

russg

Is there anyplace, anyone, can help with fixing a 1010 recorder? It wouldn't go on 'PLAY' or 'ADVANCE'. I opened it up, it is quite complicated mechanism. Now I can't push 'ADVANCE' button, it doesn't depress.

(Reply to my own message.) I can push all the buttons now. It isn't the belt, the motor doesn't turn at all when PLAY is pressed.

The motor has two sections, because it has two sets of wires to it (four wires), maybe the PLAY part of the motor is gone, or

some electronic fault.

(Reply to my own message.) I can push all the buttons now. It isn't the belt, the motor doesn't turn at all when PLAY is pressed.

The motor has two sections, because it has two sets of wires to it (four wires), maybe the PLAY part of the motor is gone, or

some electronic fault.

You do have it hooked to the computer and type cload or booted with start pressed, and pressed a key to get it try and load?

Play will not do anything unless the computer turns it on. Advance works ok?

some electronic fault.

You do have it hooked to the computer and type cload or booted with start pressed, and pressed a key to get it try and load?

Play will not do anything unless the computer turns it on. Advance works ok?

No, I didn't have it connected and START. Now it works! Thanks.

Hmm,

am I allowed to overtake this thread ?!? I have a XC-11 tape recorder - it works fine as long as I do not put a tape into it. Whenever I put a cassete into it, none of the functions (play, forward, rewind) do work anymore. At first I thought this has to do with the cassette itself, so I tested another tape, and another one... and another one (about 10 different tapes), but as said before, whenever I put in a tape into this XC-11 it does not work anymore. When there is no tape inside, the functions play, forward and rewind work alright...?!? Is the motor to weak to move the tape or what ???

-Andreas Koch.

Hmm,

am I allowed to overtake this thread ?!? I have a XC-11 tape recorder - it works fine as long as I do not put a tape into it. Whenever I put a cassete into it, none of the functions (play, forward, rewind) do work anymore. At first I thought this has to do with the cassette itself, so I tested another tape, and another one... and another one (about 10 different tapes), but as said before, whenever I put in a tape into this XC-11 it does not work anymore. When there is no tape inside, the functions play, forward and rewind work alright...?!? Is the motor to weak to move the tape or what ???

-Andreas Koch.

Stretched belt... tight enough to turn them when no tape inside, but once you add a load to it it starts to slip.

Hmm,

-Andreas Koch.

Sounds like a loose belt. But don't get in a hurry, I tried a different belt, it was too tight and flummoxed the mechanism so ADVANCE wouldn't work. The belt has to be loose enough to make the mechanism work, if it is too tight, parts of the mechanism don't work properly. I don't know the XC-11, maybe it can take a smaller belt, actually there's two belts, one for the mechanism and one for the counter, in the 1010. On mine, the REWIND worked better than ADVANCE, so just flipping the tape can solve that problem. My problem was I forgot how the tape works, you have to position the tape so it has a short lead-in and have the drive connected to the Atari and hold START at turn on, then beep then push PLAY and then RETURN. It takes a correct lead-in to work. You can tell if it is working by the sound it makes, wrong sound is failure. On my 1010, I could take the bottom off the case and watch the motor while operating it. That way you can tell if the motor is turning or the belt is slipping. You might even have a broken belt, so you gotta open her up and look inside. Oh, also, the player can tell if a tape is inserted, on my 1010, you can't push RECORD if no tape is inserted.

Actually, the tape drive knows if there's a writable tape inserted, it is like a write protect cover on a floppy disk except reverse, no hole on the tape and no RECORD.

Edited by russg

Oh, well. Now I remember why tape drives are bad. I tried probably two dozen times to get the lead-in short and have a successful load of a commercial game tape. I only succeeded once. It is just too hard to get the lead-in correct and for some reason sometimes it loads correctly but fails to initialize. Back to APE, I haven't used a real floppy drive for years, although I have six or eight of them. You gotta hold START and OPTION to disable BASIC.

Oh, well. Now I remember why tape drives are bad. I tried probably two dozen times to get the lead-in short and have a successful load of a commercial game tape. I only succeeded once. It is just too hard to get the lead-in correct and for some reason sometimes it loads correctly but fails to initialize. Back to APE, I haven't used a real floppy drive for years, although I have six or eight of them. You gotta hold START and OPTION to disable BASIC.

I got it to load again. I think you have to hold OPTION for the entire load for it to work, disabling BASIC. Maybe I'll try 1200XL or 800. I'm loading a commercial KIDGRID tape (Tronix).

Edited by russg

I got it to load again. I think you have to hold OPTION for the entire load for it to work, disabling BASIC. Maybe I'll try 1200XL or 800. I'm loading a commercial KIDGRID tape (Tronix).

Hmm, well holding START at power on causes the machine to boot from tape, holding OPTION disables BASIC and holding both boots from tape with BASIC disabled. Once you hear the beep you should be able to release both console keys and press play then return.

As for the lead in, on most commercial tapes I just advance the tape using a pencil in one of the spools until I can see the tape leader replaced with the actual ferrous tape (usually brown) at the bottom of the tape.

Another thing which sometimes helps is completely advancing and rewinding the tape a couple of times to make sure its correctly wound on the spools. I find this helps with tapes that haven't been used in a while.

Obviously you should make sure the playback head in the deck is clean too.

I'm actually amazed how reliable most of my old tapes are considering that they're 20 to 30 years old and have been stored in my attic for most of their life. I rarely find one which doesn't load.

Edited by spookt

I hear you Spookt, touch wood not had a problem so far with any tapes. You can't beat starting to load a game and then by the end of Eastenders it's finished loading and time for some Atari goodness! :D

Yep, why did I play particular games so much? Because it took too long to load a different one. Now if my kids get "stuck" on a PS3 game they just quit and boot the next one in 30 seconds. Bounty Bob Strikes Back was one of my faves and it takes 15 mins to load from tape. I used to leave the machine on so I didn't have to reload it. (My worst nightmare was seeing "Boot Error" after 14 minutes of waiting !!!)

• 4 months later...

I've got an immaculate 1010 that doesn't play.

Should the motor be turning after pressing the PLAY key even if the the pinch wheel mechanism isn't working properly? I don't see the motor turning at all.

Only if it's connected to the computer and you either hold start while powering on then hit return or CLOAD then return twice from BASIC. I seem to recall that something like POKE 54018,52 should turn the motor control on too. Basically the computer controls the motor for play and record so all the unit will do otherwise is rewind and fast forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this topic

Does anyone know of a compatible tape belt that I can order from my local HiFi shop?

I have found belts in the US for about 90c

but shpping would be about 8e lol

Refer to this post, I know you don't want to order from the US, but there is a part number and some measurements you may be able to give to your local shop.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105976-atari-410-and-1010-belts/page__view__findpost__p__1291205