IGNORED

The Castlevania Thread

Also, wondering what's the most someone has uncovered on their map in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I assume pretty much everyone knows about the "outside the castle" tricks, so I'll offer my percentage of 216.8% and see if anyone has more than that. Or maybe this should be a separate thread on its own?

Also, wondering what's the most someone has uncovered on their map in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I assume pretty much everyone knows about the "outside the castle" tricks, so I'll offer my percentage of 216.8% and see if anyone has more than that. Or maybe this should be a separate thread on its own?

Just took a peek at my oldest file and 259.7% is where I'm sitting. I've found it way more fun to mess around with the boundary glitch in the normal rather than the inverted castle.

Almost 260%?? Holy crap!

I've found some areas that I can explore outside of but I can't get out. Turning into the bat and doing the wing smash doesn't help. I think I'm talking about the inverted cave waterway area. Too bad I can't use a library card to get out of there, due to me being falling/flying/floating.

Wish I could submit pictures of what areas I've unlocked.

yeah, but going outside the castle isn't as cool as I thought it would be. There are some neat "behind the scenes" things to see, but all in all, it's an odd glitch.

I just like how it not only shows in white the extra areas you've explored, but also counts it in your completion percentage. Too bad you can only see it when selecting your file before you start your game.

Almost 260%?? Holy crap!

I've found some areas that I can explore outside of but I can't get out. Turning into the bat and doing the wing smash doesn't help. I think I'm talking about the inverted cave waterway area. Too bad I can't use a library card to get out of there, due to me being falling/flying/floating.

Wish I could submit pictures of what areas I've unlocked.

Yeah, I don't believe there is any (known) way to escape those parts of the map where you're stuck in perpetual fall. ..haha, and I agree with StanJr that the glitch isn't that cool. Aside from the otherwise inaccessible save room hidden underneath the starting courtyard, there's nothing really startling to discover with the double Heart Refresh trick unless you have an interest in wacky criteria runs (0 kills, etc.). Still, the risk of getting trapped and the satisfaction of getting the trick down pat did make the whole experience oddly entertaining and breathed additional life into one of my favourite games.

Some photos for reference:

p3163007r.jpg

p3163012r.jpg

p3163013r.jpg

• Like 1

Some major areas I wasn't able to enter, that someone might be able to tell me how to uncover:

FIRST CASTLE

All along the bottom area (catacombs).

All along the top section, the area where you warp to the inverted castle.

All along the sections leading down towards the catacombs.

The area around the castle entrance, where you start the game.

The area where you fight the stone roses and dicepha-whatevers.

INVERTED CASTLE:

Outside the far-left area (the one with the big elevator system).

I got mostly the outside of the church area but there's an extra layer of outside castle I didn't get.

In the above picture of the inverted castle, I couldn't go lower than the floor of the church areas; I was only able to go level to the floor, if that makes sense.

Any help is appreciated; I have used the heart refresh trick almost everywhere. I read something about using a 2 handed sword then switching to a library card when getting stuck, but it didn't work for me.

• 7 months later...

Been a while now, but I thought I'd bump this thread.

So, it seems that IGA is out of the game now, and this is the Mercury Stream era. I can't say I'm pleased, as LoS didn't feel much like a Castlevania game to me. However, I recently picked up the new Nintendo Power, and it alludes to the up-and-coming Mirror of Fate as being a return to Metroid-Vania.

Any thoughts?

How do you get the "HELP ME" code (start with 10 men) on Castlevania III to work? Do you have to put in an existing password (with symbols) as well? If so, B.S.!

I'm trying to make a compilation video of the best NES tricks that I know of and I wanted to include this one.

Not working. I went to PASSWORD and put in HELP ME with the "space" icon inbetween the words. I'm then taken to a screen where you choose symbols to put in the spaces to choose where you start from. Which means my name did nothing.

Any thoughts?

I hope it crashes hard so they get away from this Lords of Shadow BS.

Appearently the next two LoS games (console and 3DS) will be the final two for Mercury Stream, as they are destined to f*ck up Contra next. Deviating from a series isn't bad (Mario 2, Zelda 2) as long as it is original. LoS feels like everything else to me.

I really love the early Castlevania series.

My favorites are:

1. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

2. Castlevania (NES)

3. Castlevania IV (SNES)

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest probably has some of my favorite CV music.

Overall, I love the art design of the NES CV games, and the music is simply unforgettable. Because of these timeless elements, the atmosphere of these old games still has a lot of appeal today. The controls maybe a bit stiff, but I actually like how these games play. They provide a great deal of challenge too!

Castlevania is without a single doubt my favorite series on the NES. I play an old-skool CV game at least once a month.

Don't have much affection for the newer installments though, so I don't really care where the series will go in the future :woozy:

The old titles are the ones that count for me.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know any Game Shark Action Replay codes for Symphony Of The Night (PSX) that allow Richter to be invincible? I have a bitch of a time trying to get through the spiked area with the gem trick. If you don't know what that is, when you pick up the gem subweapon, you can run on certain patches of spikes after using the gem and not get hurt for a couple seconds. The area in particular I'm referring to is the bottom section of the map in the first castle where it's dark until you get past the spiked area and stand on the platform to turn on the lights. The lantern-carrying guys, gremlins, slimes, and bone arks are in this area.

The original for NES is my favorite, and now that I have Chorus of Mystery and Blood Moon, they're right up there....

C. III is a monster of Epic Proportions!

Come 16 bit iterations and my head esplodes :P

The Playstation versions (the two of them) are too amazing for words. All 3 GBA and all 3 DS iterations are also, too amazing for words.

Part 1 on the NES is probably my favorite Platformer of all time. I received a NES for X-mas in '86, and Castlevania I was one of my first games. As a kid, I couldn't get past Frankensteins Monster. As an adult, I can get to the Grim Reaper, but have yet to defeat him - ONE DAY!!! I will have Victory :twisted:

There's too much to say about the series - it has to be one of the most pivotal Platforming series of all time.

Vampire killer is one of the first games I played on the MSX2, I liked the music very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbLiwvQCaoc

I prefer the msx tune over the nes tune.

Recently I discovered that Castlevania Rondo of blood had the same tune, but as a pimped up cd soundtrack:

Snes version sounds pretty good too:

Does anyone know any Game Shark Action Replay codes for Symphony Of The Night (PSX) that allow Richter to be invincible? I have a bitch of a time trying to get through the spiked area with the gem trick. If you don't know what that is, when you pick up the gem subweapon, you can run on certain patches of spikes after using the gem and not get hurt for a couple seconds. The area in particular I'm referring to is the bottom section of the map in the first castle where it's dark until you get past the spiked area and stand on the platform to turn on the lights. The lantern-carrying guys, gremlins, slimes, and bone arks are in this area.

Never mind.. found one that gives richter invincibility but doesn't let him super jump or do the air dash move. So I can't get past the spiked area, even with invincibility. Weak sauce!