IGNORED

rana disk drive power supply

qix_maniac

what is the power supply used for the rana disk drive?

can I use an atari 1050 power supply on rana drive?

I **THINK** that you can, because I bought some Atari stuff and it came with a TRAK power supply, and it was ***exactly*** like the Atari 400/800/850/1050/1200XL (and what else?) power supply. It looked like the later model of that 9VAC with the in and out cords coming from one side, as opposed to the older 400/800 (same voltage) that had the in and out on opposite sides of the brick.

See this thread

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/144790-trak-at-d2-disk-drive-what-power-supply-does-it-take/

Edited by wood_jl

Yes! you can use the 1050 Power Supply on the Rana 1000. In Fact, a lot of Rana 1000's came with an Atari 1050 power supply with a sticker on top of the power brick covering the Atari logo.

Thanks. Just tried it, works great.

It came with a bunch of software...do you know what "Alpha Impersonator Disk" does?

It says cartridge saver, cartridge converter, and menumaker on disk but I haven't figured out how to use it.

came with atari 800xl which has switch in back with 3 positions. Think it's for 400/800,800xl,and omniview xe. As has a another cable coming out of back of 800xl which looks to be for printer connection. not bad all for $27!!!

Edited by qix_maniac

Yes! you can use the 1050 Power Supply on the Rana 1000. In Fact, a lot of Rana 1000's came with an Atari 1050 power supply with a sticker on top of the power brick covering the Atari logo.

It came with a bunch of software...do you know what "Alpha Impersonator Disk" does?

It says cartridge saver, cartridge converter, and menumaker on disk but I haven't figured out how to use it.

came with atari 800xl which has switch in back with 3 positions. Think it's for 400/800,800xl,and omniview xe. As has a another cable coming out of back of 800xl which looks to be for printer connection. not bad all for $27!!!

Nice Deal. =)

Yes, The Switch could be a RamRod OS switcher.

The 'Impersonator' needs a dummy cart to work. You can save a cart to a .IMP file using the impersonator disk, then I think you hot insert the impersonator dummy cart and then load the .IMP file. I'm not sure. The three way switch, if it is like my RAMROD XL is one for stock XL OS, one for Omnimon and the third position is none in my case, maybe can have an Omniview OS.

• 3 months later...

Actually, you can pick any filename and extension...so long as it follows the 8.3 alphanumeric rule.

The cartridge saver expects that you have access to the cartridge slot (so oldskool 400/800 would need something jammed into the door's switch so the computer remains turned on with it open. When prompted, you jam in the cartridge you want to save. A short header is added to the file which does the routine that waits for dummy cart insertion when you binary load the file later.

The converter routine is on the menu so you can add headers to existing cartridge saves you may already have (such as those created with Scanalyzer...another Alpha Systems product).

The last option writes a short "no frills" menu program on the disk so you have something to autoboot later...since cartridge files are generally pretty short (you can fit quite a few on one disk).

The 'Impersonator' needs a dummy cart to work.
Not always. There are some cartridges that were made without any copy-protection (all versions of Atari Basic and Star Raiders are a couple). If you want to bypass this wait loop, press the Atari Logo (i.e. inverse text) key after loading it.