IGNORED

Atari keyboard to USB

candle

How do you load the hex file?, will I have to buy a EEprom burner? If so no issues, as I have been thnking about getting one anyways, this will just be the reason to add it to my cart sooner rather then later.

I will try to track down all the parts necessary.

Robert Miller

Edited by venom4728a

it would, but you'll have to add two 4051 chips to it

atmega8 has not enough pins to do full matrix decoding without additional hardware (it would decode keyboard, but not the console keys)

anyways, here is finnished project including sourcecode

if there will be enough intrest, i can make some boards for it, but not based on atmega8, as i don't see a point in using semi-working software usb solution

its nice to have it, but its recognised every other time, and can't be left connected when PC boots up

if anyone could build it and confirm its useablility it would be great - but somehow i doubt there will be a will to do it

Sebastian

ok, shift/control issues fixed

todo: remap cursor keys as they behave on real atari, remap some shifted keys to their positions (ie shift+2 or shift+7)

if anyone could test it it would be great - yes - that requires building it - not that complicated though - just 4 resistors, few caps, crystal and 2 diodes

so - anyone?

(ps. hex file is constantly updated as i'm working on it)

I would like to make one but my funds have been redirected to other purchases by a certain AA member with too many great projects! :rolling:

you need $2 for MCU and $1 for rest of parts ;)

I am interested in buying and building one, But I will need it for 600xl or 800xl, because I do not want to tear apart my working 1200xl. So what do I need to make the 6/800xl version, will the hex file be the same? And still new to this, so here is my newbie question how do i load the hex file into the chip? Will I need to purchase a eeprom burner?

Thank for working on this Candle.

ROBERT

will/could this work with an 800XL keyboard?

I have been thinking of building a mini ITX PC in an Atari case, but I am not prepared to sacrifice my one and only 1200xl

[/quote

I am hoping to do the same, I was looking at the Pico-ITX main board, its about 3x4 inches, should leave enough room for the sio2pc and joystick ports to usb adpater baords and hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

My atmega arrived today. Hope to start building this weekend, but am confused as to the values for R1 and R4. Are these 2.2k and 4.7k resistors?

Hello Yorgle is this the same Atmega chip that you purchased?

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&productId=248330&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&krypto=O1zQhZvJNyfh3utFr4oNz3en04lxDxxKO%2FowxMemjvu5D18hfquJbgX6gxSW2WY5HvydAMraTLMh%0D%0AIlrVy%2FQ415y5lTDPztj4OUZh79%2Ba4usDwU1SfQBPvontE%2FeilAkVeCflN0hpgMOT1Rjro7y28XCX%0D%0Avja4lSJwBrti44lO48ykiWZ0kpqWrRvNKcK4v2uUGjz1dOpE9tGjksIdHuAFxiwqJyGodRhdpCqy%0D%0AjDEaE1wqn8VgZkGiAdaoWm8vdwMPdorouYRIM5dciRJIamkj1A%3D%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

@ Candle for the 800xl version you say we need two 4150 chips, Can i get a little more info, I am not sure what to purchase?

Thanks, I am ordering my parts right now, well some of them anyways.:)

Thanks

Robert Miller

That would be the 4051 multiplexor chips I'd say.

Pokey uses 2 lots of 3 lines to give 8 combinations of row/column select for the keyscan, the 4051 multiplexors route those signals to the appropriate lines on the keyboard connector.

That would be the 4051 multiplexor chips I'd say.

Pokey uses 2 lots of 3 lines to give 8 combinations of row/column select for the keyscan, the 4051 multiplexors route those signals to the appropriate lines on the keyboard connector.

Thanks for the quick response!

So this is what I am looking for?

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&productId=13098&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&krypto=9x3mj8umRTqP86KbnkXIJ9b5jKUD7fJihlyDMJEHU5BD9ivVYpH6f%2BdpCbMnt9P0lVtxvOoZGRYb%0D%0AIUMLqinrVHOdZuR4Ks0V9Njvamuz4r4%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Best regards

Robert

• 3 months later...

I've been using my 1200xl as my primary pc keyboard for over a year using a programmable keyboard controller via ps2. But my system can't have both atari and pc connected at the same time. Does your USB method have this same limitation?

You should have no problem having the 1200xl connected via PS/2 and a separate USB keyboard (assuming your PC supports USB). Standard PS/2 keyboards play nicely with USB keyboards connected at the same time. The PS/2 usually needs to be connected at boot, but you can connect additional USB keyboards at any time.

no hands, no cookies

expecting everyone will do something for you while you yawn is pretty amusing way of going through life, isn't it?

Congratulations, it's pricks like you in the Atari community who killed ALL my Atari based projects.

Thanks for confirming what a sad bunch the worst of you are. I am not lazy I work 65 hours a week and I don't have the time OR equipment to do anything like that.

So much for helpful fellow Atarians

what can i say - glad to help ;)

i get up at 9am, and work till 3am, that gives me 108h a week, and i do have the time and equipment to do anything like that - and it would be in my spare time

and then comes you, blaiming all the world for not having even simpliest soldering iron, but wanting ready project to be made for you instead of actually doing it

i wonder what kind of projects prick like me (no doubts about it) killed

perhaps ones you wanted to be made for you?

well then - good luck with whatever you're "making"

fellow prick atarian

hint for you - motivation must come from inside

• Like 2

what can i say - glad to help ;)

i get up at 9am, and work till 3am, that gives me 108h a week, and i do have the time and equipment to do anything like that - and it would be in my spare time

and then comes you, blaiming all the world for not having even simpliest soldering iron, but wanting ready project to be made for you instead of actually doing it

i wonder what kind of projects prick like me (no doubts about it) killed

perhaps ones you wanted to be made for you?

well then - good luck with whatever you're "making"

fellow prick atarian

hint for you - motivation must come from inside

Ignore candle, he doesn't contribute anything to the A8 world.....

(you all know thats sarcasm, right?)