IGNORED

Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

dualcam

• 2 weeks later...

Was going to purchase 2 Stelladaptors, but these sound even better (better paddle support was the seller for me)! So, putting in my order for 2 shortly! I'm in Eugene and get up to Portland semi-regularly, but don't think I want to wait for my next trip, so I'll go with the shipping option. Heheheh, crazy how these games I grew up with are still important to me. :-) Can't want to try them out!

Garrett

No, but a "2600-daptor II" is in the works that will, and also support the 7800 Pro-line joystick and, I believe, the CBS booster grip, though I don't actually have of those to confirm this with. This version will probably be available in April or May.

As you say, using the keyboard on the computer is not a big deal, and I don't think that really hurts the game play. And I never thought much of the "Pain"-line controllers. However, there is a certain coolness to being able to use the orignal keypad controller, and there are a few 7800 games that make use of the two buttons.

I'll send you an email to check if you like to keep your order or wait.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

OK, how about the opposite: hacking the paddle controllers so that they work 100% in USB port directly - or can this adapter be placed internally into paddles so that I have the USB cord only?... or is there a USB paddle controller on the market available? The reason I am asking i spretty simple: I do not want to install any obsolete DB9 connectros, just everything USB connected... (without extra boards etc..)

If I made up a board special with the DB9, USB, and terminals left off, it looks like there is enough room for it to fit inside underneath the pot. I could solder on a USB cord for you, but you would have to solder the wires going to the pot and button.

If you are interested, let me know your email address via here or contact_2600daptor@yahoo.com. I'll check for sure that it will fit and then get you a price.

Tom

Will this device allow you to use paddles in Mame for games like Arkanoid?

Sorry if this question is repetitive, but the post earlier in the thread was asking about driving controllers and Mame. I'm not sure how much different driving controllers are from paddles, or if there's any difference at all.

Would it make a difference if you used the paddle with the original 2600-daptor or if you turned a paddle directly into a USB controller as requested by user maiki yesterday?

I haven't tried Arkanoid specifically, but the general answer is the paddles will work for any game that works with an analog joystick. To your computer, the 2600-daptor is an analog joystick. One paddle controls up/down, the other left/right.

It would not make any difference if the 'daptor is separate or built into a paddle controller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got my pair of 2600-daptor II adapters and I'm thoroughly impressed. Worked perfectly with my 2600 joystick, newly-cleaned paddles (no jitter!), steering, and keypad controllers in Stella...I even played Star Raiders with the joystick/Video Touch Pad combo.

I also tried my 7800 sticks with Atari 7800 Commando (left button "fire" and right button "grenade") in SDLMESS for Mac OS X and it works beautifully after some quick configuring (see the attached MESS .cfg file, and feel free to host it on your page dualcam...I think it's universal to all ports of MESS). Here's the SDLMESS for Mac OS X command line I use to play an Atari 7800 game:

<messExecutablePath> a7800 -video opengl -skip_gameinfo -mouse -joystick -rompath <romPath> -cart <cartridgeFile>

I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Vision-daptor ColecoVision/Intellivision adapters and I'll post the MESS configs for those too.

Voch

a7800.cfg.zip

I just got my pair of 2600-daptor II adapters and I'm thoroughly impressed. Worked perfectly with my 2600 joystick, newly-cleaned paddles (no jitter!), steering, and keypad controllers in Stella...I even played Star Raiders with the joystick/Video Touch Pad combo.

I also tried my 7800 sticks with Atari 7800 Commando (left button "fire" and right button "grenade") in SDLMESS for Mac OS X and it works beautifully after some quick configuring (see the attached MESS .cfg file, and feel free to host it on your page dualcam...I think it's universal to all ports of MESS). Here's the SDLMESS for Mac OS X command line I use to play an Atari 7800 game:

<messExecutablePath> a7800 -video opengl -skip_gameinfo -mouse -joystick -rompath <romPath> -cart <cartridgeFile>

I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Vision-daptor ColecoVision/Intellivision adapters and I'll post the MESS configs for those too.

Voch

Thanks for the config , always nice to save time

Edited by JL

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else have problems with the Paddles in SDL MESS/MAME for the Mac?

They seem to get "stuck" at a point in the right 1/3 of the screen you can move the paddle a bit more then it goes again. Always in the same place.

It seems like it finds its "center" stops then goes again. Everything works fine in Stella so it isnt the physical controllers. Same thing happens in SDL MAME for games that use a paddle device (like Avalanche).

Does this have to do with something in MESS, or with the way they are "tuned" for the 2600?

Unfortunately, games in MAME that use a spinner/dial (like Arkanoid) dont work like I was hoping, paddles just go crazy.

Otherwise the product in awesome! Great job.

I've tried MAME stuff too (arcade Super Breakout) and that has to do with the paddle's sensitivity being adjusted properly for the Atari 2600 and Stella. I tried tinkering with the MAME analog controls but they can't compensate for the range. dualcam mentions the small paddle range in the help section of his page: http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm. MAME could possibly be augmented for this paddle sensitivity (not sure if that's for each game driver or what).

And unless I'm mistaken, the Atari 2600 driving controller is somewhat of an oddball in that it isn't really "analog" but a dial reports one of 16 positions like a 16-hour clock, so unless the MAME driver has such inputs (and it wouldn't unless that's how the arcade game controls were wired) it wouldn't work properly.

It sounds like you are running into a center window. The paddles are seen as an analog joystick. Let's say the full range of motion of moving the joystick back and forth is represented by the values 0-1000, then 500 would be center. But not all joysticks are the same, and there will even be variance between ones of the same mfg/model, so they can give a slightly different values for center, like 495 or 507. These values could be interpreted as the joystick being just slight pressed and causing the player to just slightly drift when it is actually centered. A way to combat this, is to have a range or window, say 475-525, that if the value falls with in, then it is treated as center and having the value 500.

I'd don't have a Mac, so I can't tell you specifics, but take a look in the OS for anything that looks like a setting for this. Or maybe there is something for SDL, or in the MESS/MAME Mac/SDL ports. See if you can reduce the size of the center window to 0 or turn it off.

The range of motion of the paddles with the 2600-daptor was set to match with Stella, and center for that range of motion may not coincide for center in other emulators (thus you see this at 1/3 the way across instead of the center).

The paddles are not spinners, and as mentioned, are seen as an analog joystick. The driving controller is a spinner, but limited to 16 positions. Also the emulator must to be specifically programmed to handle the driving controllers & Stella/2600-daptor.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

As another possible way around this, see if there are some sensitivity or offset settings, such that you can make it that you are using the paddles only on one side or the other of the center area and not having to move them through the center window.

Tom

It sounds like you are running into a center window. The paddles are seen as an analog joystick. Let's say the full range of motion of moving the joystick back and forth is represented by the values 0-1000, then 500 would be center. But not all joysticks are the same, and there will even be variance between ones of the same mfg/model, so they can give a slightly different values for center, like 495 or 507. These values could be interpreted as the joystick being just slight pressed and causing the player to just slightly drift when it is actually centered. A way to combat this, is to have a range or window, say 475-525, that if the value falls with in, then it is treated as center and having the value 500.

All I had to do was adjust the Joystick Deadzone and the Joystick Saturation. Now I can get everything to work perfect that uses a Paddle Device. Thank a million for pointing me in the right direction!

Maybe an NES-adaptor next??

In Mame (I am using M+GUI) Under Properties > Control. Then I set the Joystick Deadzone to 0.00, and the Joystick saturation to 1.00.

Just make sure not to do it to the Global properties for all the games or unexpected results might pop up.

For Mess qmc2 - Its under Configure > Input Devices. I have played around too much with that so there might be a better option.

Was bummed at the lack of availability of Stelladaptors... so, as a geek with PIC experience, I made up one of my own. :)

http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.jpg

Functionally similar to the Stelladaptor - joystick, driving and paddle supported with auto-detect of the controller plugged in. I have spent extra time on the paddles support to get the response to be the same as a real 2600. It is USB 2.0, runs at full speed (12 Mbit/s) and transmits every millisecond (1000 times/second) to minimize delay. Enumerates as a USB HID 2-analog axis, 6 button joystick so no driver needed. There is a terminal block inside for connecting extra buttons.

Figured others might like one, so am making up a batch of 100. Should be ready end of May. Price to be on par with the Stelladaptor. If those run out, I will make more batches. I'll post here when I have a site setup.

There is a corresponding Stella release in the works.

Tom

Just bought one!!! works great! ... only question, using my atart paddles in mame, i only want arkanoid to work, but the paddle just zooms all over the screen!! ... i am using mameUI32.139 and windows xp .... i tried to adjust the digital speed and sensitivity of the analog but no luck ... anyone?