IGNORED

Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

dualcam

Do you have a spinner that works with mame you'd like to sell as I would buy that too? Also is there an actual game list for paddle controllers with mame?

Sorry, I don't have a spinner. The 2600 driving controller is a spinner, but the resolution is way too low.

There may be lists on the web or programs like ROMlister.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know if this question has been answered already, but does the 2600-daptor (or 2600-daptor II) work with the Track & Field controller?

I'm guessing the T&F controller works like a joystick with 2 missing buttons, so in theory it should work without any problems, right?

All the T&F controller is is a large LEFT/RIGHT/FIRE controller. I doubt there'd be any problem using it at all. There's no special wiring.

One issue with USB controller adapters however, is that in Joystick mode, the adapter is converting discrete joystick inputs into X/Y axes, with +/- 100% representing an actuated input and 0% representing an unactuated input. A standard proper functioning 8-way Dpad or joystick will never actuate opposite directions simultaneously as this is an invalid input. Most USB adapters interpret this signal as either one input overriding the other (only one direction held down) or both inputs cancell (0% or neither direction actuated). Either scenario may cause the non-standard controller not to work properly with the emulated game.

This is why driving and other controllers don't work with the Stelladaptor/2600daptor (though there is a special trackball mode that emulates USB mouse) when playing games that expect simultaneous inputs in opposite joystick directions.

One issue with USB controller adapters however, is that in Joystick mode, the adapter is converting discrete joystick inputs into X/Y axes, with +/- 100% representing an actuated input and 0% representing an unactuated input. A standard proper functioning 8-way Dpad or joystick will never actuate opposite directions simultaneously as this is an invalid input. Most USB adapters interpret this signal as either one input overriding the other (only one direction held down) or both inputs cancell (0% or neither direction actuated). Either scenario may cause the non-standard controller not to work properly with the emulated game.

This is why driving and other controllers don't work with the Stelladaptor/2600daptor (though there is a special trackball mode that emulates USB mouse) when playing games that expect simultaneous inputs in opposite joystick directions.

Driving controllers DO work with both Stelladaptor & 2600-daptor. The simultaneous up and down that the driving controller does is represented by 50% down.

However, not all emulators may know how to process this. You need one like Stella that has Stelladaptor/2600-daptor support.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

• Like 2

Does this work in MAME?

Will I FINALLY be able to play Warlords, the way it's meant to be played?

Edit: And can I get two of them for 4 player action?

EDIT 2: Looks like my question was answered already.

Ordering two!

Edited by keilbaca
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Will the 2600-dapter II work in Paddle, Driving controller, Keypad, and Trackball mode for Playstation 4 and Xbox One Atari Flashback Online? I don't like the standard analog thumbpad for Crystal Castles, Centipede, or Warlords and Video Olympics when I played them with a PC USB thumbpad. (Or do they use the Sears name of "Pong Sports" because the word "Olympics" is copyrighted by the International Olympic Committee?)

• 2 weeks later...

Does this work in MAME?

Will I FINALLY be able to play Warlords, the way it's meant to be played?

Edit: And can I get two of them for 4 player action?

EDIT 2: Looks like my question was answered already.

Ordering two!

It depends on the specific machine emulator in MAME/MESS. The adapter converts paddles into USB analog joystick axis. The Atari 2600 emulator in MAME doesn't have analog input, but the Arcade Atari Warlords emulator in MAME does. Two adapters should be interpreted as two separate analog joysticks each with two axis for four player support. It looks like Stella emulator doesn't support analog joystick input [for paddles], but Altirra emulator does.

Edited by mr_me

It looks like Stella emulator doesn't support analog joystick input [for paddles], but Altirra emulator does.

It is available under "Input Settings" as follows:

post-1512-0-88941600-1478784112_thumb.png

Mapping this to an analog joystick axis should give analog movement for paddles.

• Like 2

It is available under "Input Settings" as follows:

attachicon.gifinput.png

Mapping this to an analog joystick axis should give analog movement for paddles.

Yes, thanks that works. What I notice is that although the setting is mapped as 'J0/A0/+|-', its only using the positive and not the negative. Also can positive or negative or both be specified. Using Stella 4.7.2 64-bit in WIn7; any changes in newer version that affects this? btw Altirra has a similar problem except it uses the negative and not the positive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom,

Thanks for making these 2600-Daptor IIs. I have several and want to order more, but the web sight immediately goes to PayPal when you click add to cart.

1) Does not show a shipping charge. Is it free shipping now?

2) Can't add more stuff to cart.

Am I doing something wrong?

Tom,

Thanks for making these 2600-Daptor IIs. I have several and want to order more, but the web sight immediately goes to PayPal when you click add to cart.

1) Does not show a shipping charge. Is it free shipping now?

2) Can't add more stuff to cart.

Am I doing something wrong?

Just tried here. For me clicking an "Add to Cart" button opens a new window with the PayPal cart. The original window is still at http://2600-daptor.com where I can add more items to the cart. Or in the PayPal cart, I can select "Continue shopping..." , which looks to just close that window. The cart contents are saved, and reopens when another "Add to Cart" button is clicked

PayPal changed their check-out so the shipping charges are not displayed until after you have entered the payment information and are at the final order confirmation screen. I'd prefer the shipping to be displayed in the cart like before, but I don't see that there is anything I can do about it.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com

Edited by dualcam

• 2 months later...

I received my 2600-daptor II today. 7800 mode worked great with two button support in MAME under Linux. Wanting to be able to use my 2600 twin stick under MAME as well, I tried to use the 'extra button' functionality. Thinking that perhaps one could actually have a complete standard second 2600 stick on 2-6(+C,) I wired a second female db9 as follows(daptor connections on the left,db9 on the right:)

pad 2 - pin 1(up)

pad 3 - pin 2(down)

pad 4 - pin 3(left)

pad 5 - pin 4(right)

pad 6 - pin 6(fire)

pad C- pin 8

No other connections were made. In 2600 mode, everything but Right(extra button 5) worked. Right(extra button 5) caused MAME to see what is shown in the attached image.

post-47453-0-03697200-1488859265_thumb.jpg

Figuring that I'd give up on the second fire button since I really only wanted twin sticks anyway, I removed the wire from pin 6 and soldered right(pin 4) to the 6 pad on the board.

This worked properly one time with the twin stick. Subsequent attempts to use it resulted in no input(including the main joystick) when right was pressed on the second stick. I noticed that I would sometimes get a 'button 5' in MAME, but it was completely unusable. The red light on the daptor would go out when the "extra button 6" was pressed and stay out until it was released.

Apparently, using the "Mode Select Switch" extra buttons wasn't going to work well, so I removed the wire(right) from contact 6 and wired it to contact 1, giving up joystick 1 fire button as well as fire button 2 on my twin stick. This worked(and works) great for Robotron and Krull. Sadly, now 7800 mode doesn't work anymore. With a(single) 7800 stick plugged in, only down on the stick down does anything, and it outputs a whole bunch of buttons(maybe all at once.) I tried a second(single) 7800 stick with the same results.

Trak-Ball mode still works. 2600 mode also still works. When set to 7800 mode, the LED blinks the proper sequence as though it should work.

Before I remove the added db9 from the daptor, in hope of restoring 7800 mode(I'm not optimistic, there isn't anything plugged into the added connector, and there are no shorts that I can find,) am I barking up the wrong tree? Should my initial idea have worked?

On the 'II, the 5 & 6 extra button inputs are connected to the mode select switch, so trying to use those as button inputs will cause the 'daptor to switch modes when those buttons are pressed. I could make a special twin stick firmware that forced it to always be in 7800 mode, and then extra button inputs 5 & 6 would be available.

Reading over what you did, I don't see anything that should have damaged the 'daptor. You are welcome to send it back, and I can take a look at it.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

Also, extra button 4 input on the 'II is used for updating the firmware. You got tripped up by the re-purposing of the extra button inputs 4/5/6 on the 'II.

You could use the Original 2600-daptor, and two 2600 joysticks. I can provide the Original 2600 firmware to install in the 'II. You would have paddle and driving controller support on the first DB9.

Or, use the Ti-99/4A firmware in the 'II. This is a dual stick controller. You'll need a 2600 to TI-99 Y-cable - schematics can be found on the 'net or I can draw them up. I don't recall if I put the extra button inputs in this firmware, but would be easy to add. This would give two 2600 joysticks and up to 7 buttons total.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

Duh. I don't know why I was thinking that.

Will the Sega Master System Sports Pad work with any of your devices in analog?

I'm not familiar with that controller. Does it have analog output? This thread says it is digital, and to work with the 2600 as reported, it would have to be digital output -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238939-sega-master-system-sports-pad-as-a-2600-trakball/

EDIT: OK, also stated in the thread that is has analog mode. I would have to pick one up and test what the analog output is.

Tom

Edited by dualcam