IGNORED

Which version of Letter Perfect?

k1w1

I have attached two different copies of Letter Perfect and need some help with determining their versions.

The (alt) version was dumped by FULS and is substantialy different in the title & menu screens than the one i have downloaded from Atarimania. I have determined that there is at least 6 different versions of Letter Perfect released from 1981 to 1986. The reviews i have read from various magazines don't give many hints to screen layout but appear to be describing the AtariMania version across most versions. I have found no desription that matches the FULS (alt) version and there is no help in the hex dump that i could see except for the structure of both programs being very different.

Any help would be appreciated.

k1w1

Letter Perfect.zip

Edited by k1w1

I have attached two different copies of Letter Perfect and need some help with determining their versions.

The (alt) version was dumped by FULS and is substantialy different in the title & menu screens than the one i have downloaded from Atarimania. I have determined that there is at least 6 different versions of Letter Perfect released from 1981 to 1986. The reviews i have read from various magazines don't give many hints to screen layout but appear to be describing the AtariMania version across most versions. I have found no desription that matches the FULS (alt) version and there is no help in the hex dump that i could see except for the structure of both programs being very different.

Any help would be appreciated.

k1w1

What did you use to do your dump? EPROM reader or Atarimax USB Programmer or? What did FULS use?

I don't now what was used to dump these cartridges. Does it make any difference?

The difference in the title & menu screens would not be dependent on how they were dumped. A hex dump of both shows hugely different structure and not just the odd difference in bytes.

k1w1

I can't offer much help in the specific case of Letter Perfect, but there are a few points that you should consider.

Contrary to games, many of the utilities had multiple versions. It is not uncommon for Word processors and such to have half a dozen, or even more versions.

This one exists both as Disk and as Cart.

The versions you find online are not, necessarily, like they came from factory. If it is on disk, then as most software was copy protected, it might be cracked. This means a single original version might spun multiple cracked versions. A cart image might be cracked as well (althought that was less common), for using it without the cart.

I have two original Letter Perfect disks here. The disks themselves have version number imprints on the back. One is labeled V6.05-18882. The other is labeled V6.02-14342.

If that's of any help.

I also believe the disk versions came out after the earlier cartridge releases.

Thanks for your help guy's.

I have added these files to the MESS cartridge softlist and named FULS version as an alternate to the AtariMania version. Although it would have been nice to add version numbers.

Thanks agian

k1w1

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 9/26/2014 at 12:41 AM, AtariGeezer said:

Just compared my Letter Perfect 80 Column ROM dump to the cart versions in post #1 an mine comes closest to FULS's dump, but mine is missing the "Q" keyboard selection -> "Select (EAD)" instead of "Select (EADQ)". Probably more differences than that...

I just found a Letter Perfect 800 cart and when I boot it, it gives the Select (EADQ) prompt. I have no idea what to do to make it work though. I can get it to the menu if I press reset on me XEGS but from there, nothing responds other than the i key. Which allows input but the characters don't coordinate with the keys. Any ideas... also, HELLO from the year 2020, things are quiet different than we expected in 2014!

• Like 1