IGNORED

Game port loose pin

Thought I would get good advice here. I have a 400 with a loose #3 pin (slides in and out) on the first game port, the one that is always used. Joystick won't go left intermittently. I was thinking of switching it with the 4th one, at least the 4th position would not be used much.

Or would a standard MALE RIGHT ANGLE PCB MOUNT work? Suppliers? Maybe a totally different idea on how to fix?

I fixed a monitor cable plug a long time back with similar problem.

It's a bit of a bodge-up affair, might or might not work:

Probably best to take the motherboard out of the machine. Mount it so you can work vertically with the joystick port facing straight up.

Get a short length of fine solder, probably 0.7mm or finer. You'd probably want it maybe 2-3 times as long as it is thick.

Pre-tin the port pin (assuming it can come out) then if necessary sand it back so it'll still insert into the port reasonably easily.

Put the length of solder wire into the vacant hole - this in itself is tricky, maybe a preferable method could be to use a minute dab of superglue to just bond it to the port pin.

Push the pin into the port then hold a heated soldering iron onto the end of the pin, try to ensure it doesn't contact anything else.

You're probably looking at 10+ seconds, listening for the solder to start melting is probably the best cue.

With luck, it'll hold.

Edited by Rybags

I fixed a monitor cable plug a long time back with similar problem.

It's a bit of a bodge-up affair, might or might not work:

Probably best to take the motherboard out of the machine. Mount it so you can work vertically with the joystick port facing straight up.

Get a short length of fine solder, probably 0.7mm or finer. You'd probably want it maybe 2-3 times as long as it is thick.

Pre-tin the port pin (assuming it can come out) then if necessary sand it back so it'll still insert into the port reasonably easily.

Put the length of solder wire into the vacant hole - this in itself is tricky, maybe a preferable method could be to use a minute dab of superglue to just bond it to the port pin.

Push the pin into the port then hold a heated soldering iron onto the end of the pin, try to ensure it doesn't contact anything else.

You're probably looking at 10+ seconds, listening for the solder to start melting is probably the best cue.

With luck, it'll hold.

The pin just slides a bit back and forth, so you saying maybe try to pull it all the way out and try this method? Sounds like it might work.

Can't be bothered opening my machine and only found one pic with a quick search, but it looks like the pin is fully integral to the molded part although there might be variations on the part.

Right-angled connection into the motherboard, yes.

I'd say don't pull it out, you run the risk that too much comes out and you can't do the method I mentioned before.

Another alternative would be an extender cable, preferably short. Probably have to DIY.

Then you just need to plug it in the once and get the connection right, and plug the joystick into the extender.

Edited by Rybags

I have some spare joystick port connectors (new) if you want one send me a PM

Thanks for the offer but someone more local offered and I took him up on it, will let you know if i am successful. Thanks to you all, this place is best place to go for help.