IGNORED

Atari 2600 - strange video problem

Amstari

Hi Everyone, I posted this in the hardware section but I haven't had any replies yet. Hopefully someone here can help!

I've got a strange problem with an Atari 2600 Jr with the Longhorn AV mod.

This is what happens with Space Invaders.

post-27767-0-52652200-1304125670_thumb.jpg

This is what happens with the Harmony Cart.

post-27767-0-02315800-1304125743_thumb.jpg

Both carts work fine on another console.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I purchased the console with the mod already installed and it has been working perfectly until yesterday.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have some broken consoles that I can take parts from to fix it.

Thanks for the advice Benzman66 and zylon.

I'm going to try uninstalling the AV mod and see if I have the same problem before I start removing any IC chips.

If I still have problem which IC would you recommend I replace first?

That is a hard one, as I have seen all three cause strange video issues. I would go with the RIOT chip first. That is the chip with 10750 printed on it and closest to the cart slot. Watch how you take it out and make sure the notch on the end of the chip is lined up the same way with the new chip when you put it back in. You may want to think about getting a socket at RS or Mouser and install that first. It will save you the hassle of soldering the chip if ever needing replaced in the future.

• 2 months later...

I finally decided to remove the AV Mod from the faulty Atari 2600 Jr. I haven't tried this console with RF yet but will report the results when I do.

Instead I put the AV Mod into a Light Sixer that has always had problems since I got it.

The original problem with the light sixer was that the picture was very snowy and the sound was almost all static, you could barely hear the game sounds. The picture seemed to get worse when sound played in a game too.

I installed the AV Mod and now it has perfect sound and a clear picture however the colors white and yellow are reversed. I've tried adjusting the color pot but it doesn't correct the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

I haven't seen that problem before with reversed colors...check out my thread on adjusting the pot effectively...hope it helps for you!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/184711-tips-on-adjusting-the-color-pot/page__st__25__p__2326952__fromsearch__1#entry2326952

Also fix the following component on the switchboard might help:

Green Capacitor: 224k Ohm 100v Capacitor

Fixes fuzzy video problems.

Edited by Mark T

I haven't seen that problem before with reversed colors...check out my thread on adjusting the pot effectively...hope it helps for you!

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2326952

Also fix the following component on the switchboard might help:

Green Capacitor: 224k Ohm 100v Capacitor

Fixes fuzzy video problems.

Thanks Mark. I had checked out your thread and I originally thought that is was just a pot adjustment issue but it didn't fix it.

I don't have any fuzz since installing the AV Mod but I might try replacing the capacitor anyway.

Fortunately I've got another Atari 2600 (PAL) that works fine but it doesn't have a mod. However I would like to get the light 6er working because it is NTSC and then I can play NTSC games with the correct colors.

I'll jump onboard the RIOT train on this one. I remember having a similar issue back in the day, when you would actually send the consoles away for repair. That space invader pic looks familiar to me. We could actually start up a game, but the invaders wouldn't speed up as you eliminated them. Even if there was only one invader left, it was still going at the first slow speed. Turned out the RIOT was bad. We sent it away, they fixed it and sent it back and we were good to go!

• 8 months later...

It's been a long time since I tried to fix this but I gave it another try. I tried replacing the RIOT chip but I had no luck.

I've given up on the NTSC console for now and I want to put the AV Mod into a PAL Vader.

Is it possible to install Longhorne AV mod in a PAL console? I know it is designed for NTSC but can I just connect it to different pins on the TIA?