IGNORED

Tiny Atari 810 Drive!

Kripto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you want a cheap, mass-produced board for this, you're going to have to trade off the ultra-small-size and go with something like an Arduino (which fits in an Altoids tin).

(But there are also some 1 inch square Arduino clone boards out there.)

The author notes this in his writeup, and states he only used that particular micro (the LPC1114) because he had a bunch lying around.

I found that disappointing... especially given his other blog post was about using the MicroTouch with an Atmel32 processor (which is essentially an Arduino).

Personally, I would have traded off the micro-sized device for something that people could buy off the shelf, and making the tutorial a bit more accessible to less technical folks.

(But I have to admit, I'm very impressed with the small size achieved!).

A standard Arduino provides 32K flash (some of which is used by your script), and a UART for serial communication. 32K is not much onboard flash - less than an Atari floppy - but it is plenty enough to cheaply demonstrate working SIO communication of a few files.. then for more storage, there are Arduino add-on boards for SD cards.

I have a few Arduinos. I tinker with it for re-learning about micros.

I can't demo this because (besides time issues) I don't have an Atari 8-bit anymore (nor the space for one).

But I wanted to offer encouragement if anyoene's keen to try it... It doesn't look like Atari SIO is quite so different from traditional serial (for which there are a zillion Arduino tutorials), so this is VERY do-able.

the atmega series is whats used in the SDrive and SIO2SD, and making something like this with the TQFP versions of these chips would be very doable using a standard sized SD card, the (relatively) big problem is the case... doing it based on a microSD card is probably possible but would take a little work to get the PCB right...

and the SIO is not different then RS-232, its just TTL voltage level at 19.2k/38.4k/57.6k (1x, 2x, 3x) common speeds with the /COMMAND line connected to CTS/DSR/RI usually.

sloopy.

That is very cool! But I too think it's TOO SMALL. I'd like one in 1050 style, but I think I'd also like one of a size to accomidate the standart SD cards. the microSD 810 drive is just far too small, let alone possiblities of losing it, it just looks to damn small next to all the bigger equipment.

• 7 years later...

Maybe just me, I think we could use something going simple every man kind of device. I've been reading specs for different micros and the flash on them is pretty large. Good and bad is every time we get something good, someone or a group of people decide to make it GREAT!

Kind of thinking something like an Arduino with 32k flash simulating a RO drive. The Arduino itself is OK, problem comes when you start hanging stuff on it. It is the wild west when it comes to add on devices like SD cards where developers use different pin outs.

Soon as you talk board runs for a custom circuit, it pretty much becomes hundreds of dollars in up front money.

What may be appropriate is an Adruino running vanilla source code that will run a 3 sector boot disk of ~24k<what would probably be flash available after program> that you could put a couple of games on. Another use would be the ability to use it to boot a full DOS for people trying to get a 1050 that came w/o a boot disk running. Figure on its lowest level you are talking about something that could be up and running for a <$6 Arduino and a couple of jumpers. So of the other devices and suggestions like putting everything inside an Atari SIO plug are great, they just require a bit more expense and effort. There's a lot of chips that would be better, just that they end up being a bit pricey. I mean if you chose something with 256k flash, you could simulate a USD 1050 but you lose the cost war. I'll have to check prices and see if there is something else appropriate. I think TI is selling their micro development board for ~$10 and they give away an IDE. I'm not sure what the capabilities of their system is and their IDE is kind of bloated and makes Xlinx<which I hate!> look like a coloring book. Lots of ARM based boards out there too.

Maybe just me, I think we could use something going simple every man kind of device. I've been reading specs for different micros and the flash on them is pretty large. Good and bad is every time we get something good, someone or a group of people decide to make it GREAT!

Kind of thinking something like an Arduino with 32k flash simulating a RO drive. The Arduino itself is OK, problem comes when you start hanging stuff on it. It is the wild west when it comes to add on devices like SD cards where developers use different pin outs.

Soon as you talk board runs for a custom circuit, it pretty much becomes hundreds of dollars in up front money.

What may be appropriate is an Adruino running vanilla source code that will run a 3 sector boot disk of ~24k<what would probably be flash available after program> that you could put a couple of games on. Another use would be the ability to use it to boot a full DOS for people trying to get a 1050 that came w/o a boot disk running. Figure on its lowest level you are talking about something that could be up and running for a <$6 Arduino and a couple of jumpers. So of the other devices and suggestions like putting everything inside an Atari SIO plug are great, they just require a bit more expense and effort. There's a lot of chips that would be better, just that they end up being a bit pricey. I mean if you chose something with 256k flash, you could simulate a USD 1050 but you lose the cost war. I'll have to check prices and see if there is something else appropriate. I think TI is selling their micro development board for ~$10 and they give away an IDE. I'm not sure what the capabilities of their system is and their IDE is kind of bloated and makes Xlinx<which I hate!> look like a coloring book. Lots of ARM based boards out there too.

I'm trying to figure out how this is much different than the SDrive Max?

I mean, the screen adds a little to that cost, but still...

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out how this is much different than the SDrive Max?

I mean, the screen adds a little to that cost, but still...

I'm not sure anyone is selling SDrive Max yet. That being said, something like the SDrive ARM version sells/sold for $50 + $10 shipping. You still need to buy an SD card to make it work which adds another

$6-$10 so out the door, you are talking about a $70 investment. SDrive Max if I have it right is a Gnu C software development and you are pretty much locked into a few displays that work.

I put an SDrive Max together and it is a very good/great device. The trade off in costs for Arm for Arduino, full color display, et al would probably mean anything saved by AVR vs ARM would be lost in the trade.

So something that is 1/10th the cost that doesn't need a Linux OS computer or extensive familiarity with the tools or CLI to modify the system or get it installed would be a good thing. You could almost develop and distribute software on it since it will have ~24k available and would be about the same price as making a cartridge or floppy. I have a notoriously bad experiences setting up systems for younglings. I barely trust them at this stage with an Atari computer let alone a some expensive hardware. PacMan, StarRaiders, and Asteroids on a $6 dongle seems like a good idea. Ditto for someone that wants to get a DOS disk or see if their POKEY and/or 1050 works. I'd rather ship them a cheap device that lets them know if they work well enough to justify a bigger expenditure.

I'm not sure anyone is selling SDrive Max yet.

Sure they are, and have been for months.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/181644898539691/permalink/2141107752593386/

I think the same guy is a member here. Someone with a similar name sells SIO cables he makes himself so it's probably him.

• Like 1

Now you guys are just being pedantic. :) You missed my point about price they would have to sell for by citing ones being sold for more then what I said would be a minimum. I'm not sure if the $95 even includes shipping. It is irrelevant that they are available at a price people would balk at. $95 vs $6. Different market segment. Like I said, I already made an SDrive Max and it is great. I just am aware there are others around that want something simple that costs less.

Now you guys are just being pedantic. :)

Not pedantic at all. I simply corrected a simple misstatement.

As for cost, you can buy all the parts, card, Uno and screen for $25 on Amazon or <$15 on AliExpress, salvage a cable from a dead 410 or something and you’re good. The case is the pricey part, frankly.

I ordered boards a few months back and have all the parts to make one easily. Just one snag is the lack of firmware and a programmer. I have a pic programmer but the IC is more exotic.

Would love to continue this and would be interested if someone could help on the firmware/programming IC side?

Edited by Magic Knight