IGNORED

SIO cables

As long as the cable has 5v, GND, Data In, Data Out and Command wired up, it should work.

my sio2pc-usb cables dont even need the +5V... just Din, Dout, Command, and Gnd...

also if the cassette cable doesnt have a needed pin (i.e. command would be the only one it would possibly not have), and the SIO connector is screwed together, you can repurpase a wire for command... as i never used a cassette on an A8 i am not familiar with them, so its possible it does use the command line...

sloopy.

my sio2pc-usb cables dont even need the +5V... just Din, Dout, Command, and Gnd...

also if the cassette cable doesnt have a needed pin (i.e. command would be the only one it would possibly not have), and the SIO connector is screwed together, you can repurpase a wire for command... as i never used a cassette on an A8 i am not familiar with them, so its possible it does use the command line...

Aye - good point. OT: Is your site down, sloop?

I tried searching forums with no luck. I take it Cassette SIO cables do not work with the SIO2PC (card) cables?

Which cables do? only the old disk drive ones?

I think your cassette SIO cable should be OK. What RS232 cable to PC are you using on the other side of the SIO2PC. And

is this a homebrew SIO2PC or a Atarimax one? You gotta set the data line in configure, RTS, RING, CTS.

Aye - good point. OT: Is your site down, sloop?

OT: yes, when you dont pay the bill, funny things happen...

back to topic...

i have one left:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/181236-fs-sio2pc-usb-cables/

then there is no guess work ;')

sloopy.

I tried searching forums with no luck. I take it Cassette SIO cables do not work with the SIO2PC (card) cables?

Which cables do? only the old disk drive ones?

I think your cassette SIO cable should be OK. What RS232 cable to PC are you using on the other side of the SIO2PC. And

is this a homebrew SIO2PC or a Atarimax one? You gotta set the data line in configure, RTS, RING, CTS.

I am finding out that cassette SIO cables will not work, thought i could use it but can't. I will try ordering one from Best. BTW how do you order from that site? Just email them?

I am finding out that cassette SIO cables will not work, thought i could use it but can't. I will try ordering one from Best. BTW how do you order from that site? Just email them?

Are you sure? I've never seen a "casette SIO cable". I've only seen SIO cables. All being the same. I suppose the ones that are wired in (on the 410, XM301, etc) might not carry through all signals, but then those go at the end of the chain anyway. Have you checked continuity? You may just have a broken cable...

--Kurt

Are you sure? I've never seen a "casette SIO cable". I've only seen SIO cables. All being the same. I suppose the ones that are wired in (on the 410, XM301, etc) might not carry through all signals, but then those go at the end of the chain anyway. Have you checked continuity? You may just have a broken cable...

--Kurt

Yes I whipped out my multimeter and the cable is good just not the right lines used. for example pin 7, 10 not used

--Kurt

Yes I whipped out my multimeter and the cable is good just not the right lines used. for example pin 7, 10 not used

Are the pins in the connector not populated (no metal)? Or is this cable a bad cable that happens to allow cassette devices to work, since they don't need those lines... I'd think the latter, since at least one of the later recorders gets its power via the +5v line that isn't connected on your cable.

Regardless, yes, you'd need another cable.

--Kurt

Edited by kurtm

I re-routed this cassette cable and using the correct lines now. Not knowing how APE and .ATR's work....if I load a DOS .ATR into the disk one location and turn on 800 it is suppose to start booting right?

Assuming RI, DSR and correct com port is used.

I re-routed this cassette cable and using the correct lines now. Not knowing how APE and .ATR's work....if I load a DOS .ATR into the disk one location and turn on 800 it is suppose to start booting right?

Assuming RI, DSR and correct com port is used.

Yes, it should.

--Kurt