IGNORED

Should I get a TurboGrafx-16

Hello. I currently have the chance of getting a TurboExpress-16 and was wondering what are people's opinion of the Console. I already have a Sega Genesis and SNES. How does it compare. What games would people recommend for it, both multiplayer and single player. Thanks for your time. Also what would be a good price for one, the one I am looking at has Bonk 2 complete, Bonk 1 loose. Turbo Tap and 2 controllers. Thanks for your time.

does it include the turbo booster? (A/V output rather than RF)

i have no idea what constitutes a good price anymore. i bought mine back in the late 90s for 30 dollars. most people today would probably consider that price a steal.

40-50 dollars seems to be the average going price for any random non-mainstream console these days. Playstation One and Sega Genesis consoles seem to be the only real bargains around anymore.

does it include the turbo booster? (A/V output rather than RF)

i have no idea what constitutes a good price anymore. i bought mine back in the late 90s for 30 dollars. most people today would probably consider that price a steal.

40-50 dollars seems to be the average going price for any random non-mainstream console these days. Playstation One and Sega Genesis consoles seem to be the only real bargains around anymore.

It includes a after market AV hookup that attaches to the back.

Get one. I don't know if you want to get that one or not but you should get one. They are a pile of fun. Mine ran me closer to $200 but it was in box with the turbo boster plus (I don't know what the difference in a turbo booster and turbo booster plus is) and 7 or 8 games. I more then likely over paid, but I have certainly enjoyed it. Its has been well worth my money. Not to mention Splatterhouse is great, and IIRC it will play imported titles with no issue at all. A nice bonus.

It is a nice system. I got mine cheap in the 90's when it had been out a while. When they stopped making them, I picked up a CD-ROM for super cheap, and bought a System 3 card to play Turbo Duo games.

It has lots of good games that you won't find on SNES or Genesis. As far as HuCard games, Bomberman is great, up to 5 players with multitap, Military Madness is a simple strategy war game (1 or 2 players), Davis Cup Tennis, and Pac Land is a great arcade port.

It is a nice system. I got mine cheap in the 90's when it had been out a while. When they stopped making them, I picked up a CD-ROM for super cheap, and bought a System 3 card to play Turbo Duo games.

It has lots of good games that you won't find on SNES or Genesis. As far as HuCard games, Bomberman is great, up to 5 players with multitap, Military Madness is a simple strategy war game (1 or 2 players), Davis Cup Tennis, and Pac Land is a great arcade port.

what is your opinion of Aero Blaster and Dungeon explorer.

what is your opinion of Aero Blaster and Dungeon explorer.

Both are great. Dungeon Explorer is a great "Gauntlet" style RPG

The Bonk games are very fun. I really enjoyed both the arcade and RPG mode of Final Lap Twin. Devil's Crush is still my favorite pinball game. Y's Book was incredible in it's day. Some of the shooters have amazing graphics (for their time).

get a convertor and you can expand the library big time. There are a ton of PC engine games not here in the U.S.

If you need help finding one...give me a shout. I have an extra lying around. Just plugs into the card slot and presto!!! Your playing some badass japanese shooters.

• Like 1

Get one. I don't know if you want to get that one or not but you should get one. They are a pile of fun. Mine ran me closer to $200 but it was in box with the turbo boster plus (I don't know what the difference in a turbo booster and turbo booster plus is) and 7 or 8 games. I more then likely over paid, but I have certainly enjoyed it. Its has been well worth my money. Not to mention Splatterhouse is great, and IIRC it will play imported titles with no issue at all. A nice bonus.

The difference between a turbo booster plus and a turbo buster is the fact turbo booster plus has back up memory for saving game files.

The other difference is in cost.

A regular Turbo booster doesn't have back up memory. Based on the 2004 DP guide I have, a Turbo Booster Plus goes for $30 at the time and a regular Turbo Booster in 2004 went for $25. I don't know the difference between the two in price for 2011, but I am sure there still would be a slight price difference.

I am guessing the slight price difference is caused by the fact a Turbo booster plus is slightly more desirable due to it having back up memory.

Edited by 8th lutz

Yes.

Oh, you want more info? In that case, definitely. If it comes with Bonk 1 and 2, it already is coming with a couple of the best games for the system. The Turbo Tap and two Turbo Pads are a big plus and necessary for any two player action. As others have said, Devils Crush is an excellent pinball sim. I'd also recommend Ninja Spirit, Blazing Lazers, and Military Madness. Neutopia is an excellent Zelda-ish game as well as the appropriately named sequel, Neutopia II.

The Turbo Booster will allow you to hook the system up using RCA type connections. The Turbo Booster Plus includes the RCA type connections as well as a way to save games. If it comes with either one of these... BONUS!

As far as a good price goes? Dunno. Mine was a couple hundred dollars, bought new, in the early nineties.

Comparing it to the Genesis and SNES? They both have more slightly better graphics and sound, but it's still pretty comparable. TG-16 games are usually bright and colorful, only missing a few graphical tricks that the others might have, but it's doubtful you'll notice much. I think the sound is better than the Genesis, and seems to suffer from slowdown less than the SNES (especially in shooters where there are a lot of things on the screen, of course in those instances, slowdown could help...) The biggest difference is in the software. There are far more games available for the Genesis and SNES. And those games are much easier to find. Go to just about any mom and pop video game resale shop and you'll see full racks of Genesis and SNES games, and maybe two TurboGrafx games. (And those will usually be ones you already have or don't want anyway.)

BTW, I must admit that I'm a biased source... for example, I've been using Johnny Turbo for my profile pic or whatever for years...

Edited by Eltigro

get a convertor and you can expand the library big time. There are a ton of PC engine games not here in the U.S.

If you need help finding one...give me a shout. I have an extra lying around. Just plugs into the card slot and presto!!! Your playing some badass japanese shooters.

Just wondering how well does the converter work on games.

I bought the system in 2007 and I did over pay for it. I really enjoy the system and I have no regrets. A turbo tap is a must if you want to play a game with another person because system only had with one controller port instead of two.

I have almost half the United States Tg-16 hu card game library. If you start out owning a tg-16 now days, online is the best way to get games for it like I did for the most part. Flea Markets in my area had Tg-16 games back in the 1990's, but those days are long gone.

It is a great a great addition to the Sega Genesis and the Snes I own.

Devil's Crush is a great pinball game. I recommend Aero Blasters, Air Zonk, Blazing Lasers, Bloody Wolf, Bomberman, Bomberman'93,Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Cadash, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Final Twin Soldier,Galaga'90, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Legendary Axe, Neutopia, Ninja Spirit, Pac-land,Parasol Stars, Raiden, R-type, Side Arms, Soldier Blade, Splatterhouse, and Super Star Soldier.

Dragon's Curse is a great game, but there isn't a big difference from the Sega Master version of the game outside of better sound and graphics. Dragon's Curse is known as Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap for the Sega Master System.

I can't help in what imports to get since I don't have a converter. I also don't have any Tg-16 Turbo CD games since I don't a Turbo Duo, Turbo Cd attachment, or one of the Pc Engine Duo models.

Edited by 8th lutz

I have 3 and price wise - my CIB one was the most expensive at $60 Canadian which I think is very reasonable.

Another loose one that I got at a game shop a couple years ago and paid I believe $35 with a controller and all hookups so not bad but I wanted a backup

My best was my loose one from value village with a regular turbo booster, turbo tap, two game pads and the Turbo stick for $7 so prices are all over the map, depending on your luck

I have a Turbo Duo and a Turbo Express. The Turbo Express has a screen that was way ahead of other portables when it came out. I can't believe I forgot to mention Bomberman. My friends and I rented it once when the game we really wanted wasn't available. It's an incredible multiple player game!

PC-Engine is the way to go, it can easily be modded if you wish to play the few worthwhile TG games that came out. But the bulk of decent stuff was for the PCE, aim for a CD unit as well if you can, some epic games came out on that and it really was astounding what they managed for the time considering the competition.

You can't go wrong with a Turbo. I bought one when it was still new in 1990 and didn't regret it. A few years ago, after years of not having one, I decided to get back in. The US library alone justifies the purchase, but the region free CD-ROM library and easily accessible PC-Engine HuCard library makes this system a must for anybody who liked the Master System, Genesis, NES and SNES. The libraries overlap a bit, but the Turbo has a very good amount of games that are probably the best version. The exclusives justify the purchase on their own.

For the =1985-2005&field_year_value[min]=1985&field_year_value[max]=2005&field_system_value_op=word&field_system_value=TurboGrafx&title_op=contains&title="]US TG16 library you will have no trouble finding games worth playing if your genre preferences fit the releases. If you get a converter (or have your system converted) for Jpn games the possibilities are endless.

Edited by sheath

You can't go wrong with a Turbo. I bought one when it was still new in 1990 and didn't regret it. A few years ago, after years of not having one, I decided to get back in. The US library alone justifies the purchase, but the region free CD-ROM library and easily accessible PC-Engine HuCard library makes this system a must for anybody who liked the Master System, Genesis, NES and SNES. The libraries overlap a bit, but the Turbo has a very good amount of games that are probably the best version. The exclusives justify the purchase on their own.

For the =1985-2005&field_year_value[min]=1985&field_year_value[max]=2005&field_system_value_op=word&field_system_value=TurboGrafx&title_op=contains&title="]US TG16 library you will have no trouble finding games worth playing if your genre preferences fit the releases. If you get a converter (or have your system converted) for Jpn games the possibilities are endless.

Thanks for the advice, I am in the process for getting the PC engine game converter for my system.