Jump to content
ctrix

Atari-X-MOD Music(ish) Tracker for Atari 2600

Recommended Posts

Is anyone interested in this?

 

http://www.vimeo.com/23589320

 

As the description days "Atari 2600 asm translator. An optimizer is coming in the future. I still find it's easier to put the basic tune together and turn to the assembly code to tweak everything. It uses Paul Slocum's play routine although a slightly modified version to allow triplet times / shuffles is hopefully coming in the future."

 

It's still a bit buggy, but i figure it might make tunes easier to write for the 2600. Still about a month from stable I'd say.

 

Let me know if anyone could see themselves using this tool (will be open source). I'm running out of steam to work on it further and wandering if I'm the only person who'd use it!!

 

(a further demo is at: https://8bc.org/music/cTrix/Triple+Pump+%28Atari+2600+hand+assembled+cartridge%29/)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work - I'm impressed how far you have managed to push the 2600 TIA sound. I'll be very interested to hear any more musical creations that you produce.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mad props for that banging tune on 8bc and thanks for the download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, is this tool still available somewhere, would be really needed !!! :)

 

Thanks !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @jp48 -  the tool that you really want to use is http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=67648   TIA Tracker.  It's quite lightweight when it compiles and does great optimization. 

As far as what happened to this:  AtariXMod was super hack and relied on a tracker which could deal with out-of-spec IT files.  So a few testers I gave the software to were taking that IT file into other trackers which would drop / rearrange half the samples and cause all kinds of crazy!  It was developed on an XP machine with Windows 98 software in an environment which I eventually lost soon after - so I only had a half broken version compiled.  The stumbling block I hit was optimization / compression - detecting where all the repetition was and having patterns fit neatly in ROM.  An awesome friend was coding a better play-routine and a stand-alone source optimizer but his laptop and the SD card (with backup source / binaries) was stolen from a demoparty right as we were working on it (back in 2012).  So that killed the project.  I didn't want to release the original tool that output sloppy and wasteful source.  Once TIA Tracker came out (there was talk of it for a while) it was such a better solution and it is what I have used ever since.  Thanks for all the support / optimism! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @ctrix, thanks of the tip !! I actually used your tool quite a lot, it was extremely fun and useful from algorithmic generation of stuff as the IT's text format was so simple (and I still have it). I will check TIA Tracker, just now writing mostly BatariBasic stuff, rather idiotic small systems played with joystick with the external beat (from Nintendo DS etc), stupid, but very fun to do, excellent anger management tools :D !!

 

Thank you of all your help :) !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...