IGNORED

What are the must-have hacks?

Random Terrain

What are the must-have hacks? I didn't put best hacks, because invincibility hacks may not be the best, but they are must-haves for some people. For example, the Pitfall II invincibility hack is a must-have.

So I'm looking for hacks that improve a game so much that it makes you cry and hacks that are simply useful (invincibility, extra lives, and so on).

So what are the must-have hacks? (Please link to the post that contains the latest version of the hack.)

Thanks.

MissAdventure Revised

Space Invaders Deluxe

River Raid Random

Omega Race-Joystick controller

Here are some links. Hope I got them right:

Missadventure Revised

Space Invaders Deluxe

Space Invaders Deluxe 8k

River Raid 4 Rivers Random

Omega Race-Joystick controller - I couldn't find the thread, but it is in Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2

Omega Race DC

• Like 2

I second Thomas' Missile Command TB. It's the only way to play the game.

Berzerk VE adds the voices to Berzerk.

While I'm not into graphics hacks, I make an exception when it actually improves the game. In this case, Return of Mario Bros looks more like the arcade, which makes it great.

What are the must-have hacks? I didn't put best hacks, because invincibility hacks may not be the best, but they are must-haves for some people. For example, the Pitfall II invincibility hack is a must-have.

Thanks.

I'm sure this prolly don't exist, but I think an amazing hack would be to randomize the gold in Pitfall II.

• Like 2

I tried it and my mouse pointer has a hard time lining up with the cursor, so it leaves the game window and I end up clicking outside of the game. I guess you have to play it full screen. Is there a way to temporarily lock the mouse within the Stella window without going full screen?

I'm sure this prolly don't exist, but I think an amazing hack would be to randomize the gold in Pitfall II.

I thought it was originally going to be like that since they were making a big deal about how it was going to be the best 'adventure game' ever made. Using controlled randomness to place the gold would bring it a little closer to being a real adventure game.

I tried it and my mouse pointer has a hard time lining up with the cursor, so it leaves the game window and I end up clicking outside of the game. I guess you have to play it full screen. Is there a way to temporarily lock the mouse within the Stella window without going full screen?

CTRL-G

As was previously mentioned, it is Control-g. But the next release will always have it enabled while playing a game, and Control-g will be removed. Then the only way to leave the window while playing the game is to pause it, bring up a menu or the debugger, etc.

This new way is how most other emulators work, and should eliminate this frequently asked question :)

As was previously mentioned, it is Control-g. But the next release will always have it enabled while playing a game, and Control-g will be removed. Then the only way to leave the window while playing the game is to pause it, bring up a menu or the debugger, etc.

This new way is how most other emulators work, and should eliminate this frequently asked question :)

Thanks. That sounds good, but then you'll have people asking how they can keep Stella from kidnapping their mouse pointers. "I can't use my computer! Help!" :D

Thanks for the posts so far. Feel free to keep on posting your favorite hacks.

Someone should hack Circus Atari so the clowns won't die if you miss. They could either roll over to the side or bounce up a little (only high enough to land on the teeter-totter). Then little kids could play without getting frustrated. And while you're at it, how about making the balloons multicolored?

Edited by Random Terrain