IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've recently bought a whole bunch of bargain current generation games at a closing CompUSA. In the past week, i've bought a pretty big stack:

$7.98 titles:

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Xbox)

Roadkill (Xbox)

Tron 2.0: Killer App (Xbox)

Area-51 (Xbox)

Sudeki (Xbox)

Chaos Legion (PS2)

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (PS2)

$11.98 titles:

Pac-Man World 3 (GameCube)

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Xbox)

$3.98 titles:

Echo Night Beyond (PS2)

King of Fighters-Maximum Impact (PS2)

$1.34 title:

Eighteen Wheeler-American Pro Trucker (GameCube)

The place is crawling with cheap console games. Too bad they aren't dropping the prices on Apple hardware and software all that much, only 10% compared to the rest of the store's 20-40% off prices.

Edited by SteveW

I went to a different thrift shop today, found a big bunch of Atari 2600 carts, Atari 8-Bit carts, and one cart each for Odyssey² (K.C. Munchkin), Colecovision (Space Fury?), and I think one for the Tandy CoCo (Color Baseball). All for $2.50 each.

Just bought Space Invaders and Q*Bert for the Atari 8-bit.

Finally found an NES Ac adapter for $3. I've been looking for one for years. I've got tons of NES decks, but for some reason all the PSU's are gone.

Oh, and here's the ultimate find. My girlfriend was outside and found a wadded up ball of paper in the front yard. Turned out to be a hundred dollar bill!

I went to my storage unit a few weeks back and the owner was clearing out the unit next to mine for lack of payment. Most of the stuff was total crap that nobody would want but I noticed a couple things and commented they might be worth something on ebay. He said they were just going to the dump and I could have whatever I wanted.

He let me have a dual drive Apple IIe system (I passed on the monitor... I have at least 6 now), a Nintendo with no PS or controllers and 1 game Mario/Duckhunt was in the system.

I've recently bought a whole bunch of bargain current generation games at a closing CompUSA. In the past week, i've bought a pretty big stack:

$7.98 titles:

Tron 2.0: Killer App (Xbox)

Tron 2.0 for x-box is crap, try the PC or MAC version its much better

today I had an awsome and an awfull.

At the first Goodwill I hit.. which I was originally going to pass up cuz I'm trying not to spend money... but my willpower just flew away as I found my hands steering the car into the parking lot against my will...I swear! I didn't mean to do it!... I found him.... for $9.99...... the bigger him... the smaller one was mine already.

post-210-1157785960_thumb.jpg

At the last goodwill I hit... I found a genesis controller for $1.99... I also found a big green puddle around the front left tire of my car when I exited the store.... at further investigation I found it just happened to be the same coolent I put in my car... that keeps my car from overheating.. and even further investigation showed that it wasn't just the same... it was the VERY SAME coolent I poored in my car! ARRGGGGG!!!!!!.... so... I had to make a call to AAA and have it towed to my house.

Anyway.. I'm trying not to think about the bill that I'm going to pay to get that one fixed until it comes later this week when I can get the car to the shop.... no I'm just trying to think about how f-ing cool my find at the first goodwill is.

Edited by SuperPsycho

I have to admit, even though I'm not a big Sonic fan, that's a cool item you've got there. That sucker is huge!

Today, I hit the flea market early. A lot of tables weren't even set up yet, so I hung around for a few hours and checked around to make sure I didn't miss anything game related. Luckily, as I was leaving, I came across a lady sitting at a table with a bunch of assorted cartridges there. A very eclectic assortment. No Atari 2600 games, which you'd think would be there with how common they can be, but she had some 5200 carts, a couple 7800 games, a Fairchild Channel F cart (!), some Colecovision games, a bunch of Atari 8-bit commons, a few NES sports games, and a couple SNES carts. She wanted $3 each, so I picked out the ones I don't have already.

Kangaroo (5200)

Barzerk (5200)

Popeye (5200)

War Room (Colecovision) - turns out I already have this one

Bowling (Channel F)

Earlier in the day, I picked up Rainbow Islands for the NES for $4, and at the collector guy's booth at the back of the place, I managed to pick up a Wico 5200 joystick Y-cable, so I can finally use the joysticks I picked up earlier in the year. And while at his booth, I got a business card from a guy who's really, really into the Atari 5200. He rebuilds joysticks, fixes consoles, and has a whole bunch of games, including a couple of prototypes. I may just have to give him a call sometime.

Quick edit: I forgot to mention I also picked up a Doc's 'Arcade Command' 6-button tabletop arcade stick, new and unopened in the box, for $1. A movie retailer out there had a stack of them. That's the same booth that used to have 3DO/SNES controller adapters for 25¢ each, and Stuntmaster VR Helmets for $2 each. Needless to say, I always check that place out whenever I hit the flea market. :D

Edited by SteveW

PC:

Zax the Alien Hunter (CIB - $2)

Necrodome (CIB - $1)

SNES:

Super Chase HQ (L - $2)

Saturn:

Doom (CIB - $9)

Laser Disc Movies:

A River Flows Through it (Near mint complete - $5)

The Goodfellows (Near mint complete$5)

I also picked up a nice Firebird lighter that runs off Butane, very nice and was $10.

I found an original NES top loader at GW today for $1.99 that looked to be in great shape. However, when I got it home I found that it doesn't work. I'm using the same hook-ups that work with a toaster but the little guy doesn't seem to get power as the screen stays snowy.

I would open it up, but it has those stupid proprietary screws. Is there a simple thing like fuse or something similar inside that would fix this thing?

edit: Unit is now fixed! Original power switch was corroded out - replaced it and now it works fine. Even added a power LED to the unit.

post-7533-1166967287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prodos8

Do you know that the AC adapter is good? I've also found that it's often the AC adapter plug in the unit that gets wrenched out by careless kids. Wiggling the connection while the thing is on might show you if the power is intermittent.

THough I guess that gets back to your original problem of being unable to open the proprietary screws. If you don't want to buy the kooky screwdriver, I think that I've heard of people using mini jewler's screwdrivers or even a pencap or other soft plastic pressed into the right shape.

You'll want to get it open so that you can mod it to have composite output, right? :) Good luck!

Do you know that the AC adapter is good? I've also found that it's often the AC adapter plug in the unit that gets wrenched out by careless kids. Wiggling the connection while the thing is on might show you if the power is intermittent.

THough I guess that gets back to your original problem of being unable to open the proprietary screws. If you don't want to buy the kooky screwdriver, I think that I've heard of people using mini jewler's screwdrivers or even a pencap or other soft plastic pressed into the right shape.

You'll want to get it open so that you can mod it to have composite output, right? :) Good luck!

AC brick is good, runs the toaster just fine. Tried wiggling power jack on the NES 2, but it didn't do anything different. Guess I'll have to get one of those "kooky" screwdrivers and open her up.

Of course I'll do the A/V mod, as I can't be puttin' up with that horrible RF stuff. Especially, If I buy one of those gamebit things.

Below are my recent finds. The Atari games came from a used game store, as did Castlevania.

The rest came from a couple of different thrift shops. I also got a 19 inch Gateway CRT monitor (that's the monitor in the background), and a 17 inch KDS.

The Controller Pak is a first party Nintendo model. It was lying on the shelf near the Arcade Shark, unpriced. I assumed they had both come in together and someone had pulled it after a price was written on the Shark. I put it in the slot, but I did explain this at the register and asked how much more I needed to pay for the Controller Pak. The cahsier decided not to charge me for it.

I'd say I've had a reasonable set of finds recently. It's mostly common, but I finally get to play Moonsweeper again!!

post-7210-1158036052_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1158036064_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1158036101_thumb.jpg

Those are definitely in good condition! Congratulations on a good find!

Today, I found AD&D Hillsfar for the Commodore 64, boxed and complete, $1.91.

Next few thrifts I came up empty, so I decided to go back to an area I hadn't hit in a while. I found Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams for the Sega Saturn, Contra: Hard Corps loose for the Sega Genesis, and a plastic bag with 10 Atari 2600 commons inside (other than a little Actiplaque, the labels look pristine!). Altogether, it came to a little over $10.

Some really good finds at the local thrifts today.

World Series Baseball 95 Genesis .50

Triple Score~Columns,Super Hang-on, World Champion Soccer Gen .50

Contra Hard Corps Genesis .50

Robo Kid Genesis .50

Pat Riley Basketball Genesis .50

College Football National Championship Genesis .50

Sonic and Knuckles Genesis .50

Pink Goes To Hollywood Case, no game Free

NARC Nes 2.50

Shooting Range Nes 2.50

Very good day at the thrifts. Nothing beats turning around a corner and seeing seven sega genesis games laying there.

Wow - I gotta hear more about those Bomb carts. Ebay find? I'd love some of those rarer carts...

There's a thrift by me that seems to always have NES games really cheap. Found some PS1 titles too:

NES

spy vs. spy - $1

spy hunter - $1

Friday the 13th - $1

PS1

Dukes of Hazzard - $1.50

South Park Rally - $1.50

These are the kinds of prices that I'm comfortable in paying! NES games really shouldn't be more than a buck or two.

Recently I picked up these Atari 8-bit games, $1 each at a flea market.

Moon Patrol

Kaboom

Miner 2049'er

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Track'N Field

Orc Attack

River Raid

K-Razy Shootout

I was surprised to see Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I know this is one of the better playing rarities.....was it ever officially sold on floppy disk?

I'll probably end up trading most of these eventually.........

Atari8bitcarts.jpg