IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Today I found a boxed copy of Space Shuttle (2600) at Goodwill. I also picked up Hunt & Score and Tutankham loose.

Yesterday was probably one of the best finds in a while... my boyfriend and I were at a local gaming store when we came across a Vectrex. When we tried it out at the store there was a few small glitches with it (burned out dot in the middle of the screen, extreme light trails, etc). They only wanted $50 for it, so we got it anyways. When we tried it out again today, it worked perfectly after changing the brightness of the screen. So we ended up with a working Vectrex for a fairly good deal. :D

I posted this in the 2600 forum already, and there's a story behind it.

I came home Thanksgiving day with a briefcase that had the first ten Supercharger games, and all but one has the manual. 1 to 4 and the Supercharger itself are Arcadia brand, 5 through 10 are Starpath brand.

there was a Sears and an Atari switchbox in the case, along with an Atari joystick extension cable. It's compatible with the CX-40 only.

Got a few over the weekend:

Ms. Pacman x2 2600

Monster Party NES

Air Fortress NES

Castlevania II NES

Blaster Master NES

Above finds came from tynstar at rfgen, thanx again

Nintendo Carrying Case Holds 10 NES .99

SuperPad Gen .50

ALS Game Storage Holds 20 SNES 3.00

Road Rash 1 Gen 4.00

King Salmon Gen 4.00

Yesterday was probably one of the best finds in a while... my boyfriend and I were at a local gaming store when we came across a Vectrex. When we tried it out at the store there was a few small glitches with it (burned out dot in the middle of the screen, extreme light trails, etc). They only wanted $50 for it, so we got it anyways. When we tried it out again today, it worked perfectly after changing the brightness of the screen. So we ended up with a working Vectrex for a fairly good deal. :D

Yeah, that was fun. :D

The last post reminded me of a story... I came across a Tomytronic (handheld)

Pac-Man at a thrift store and asked if they had an adapter. The adapter the guy gave me didn't work, so he wanted to throw the game out. I told him I'd glue it to the hood of my car if he was going to throw it away. Anyway, four batteries and three years later, that hungry Pac-Man is still eating ghosts, (albeit in only one direction!)

I hit a lot of thrifts, and came up nearly empty. I picked up a Super Famicom cart, Dragonball Z 2, for $2.98 (I love the way the English on the back of the cartridge describes it as a 'cassette'). Also picked up a copy of a Mac OS X puzzle game called Enigmo for 99¢. And while I was at it, I also picked up a 400mhz Blueberry iMac. No extras, just a bare console. Cost me $19.56. My brother needs a computer to print up flyers on, I thought this would be great for him.

I just tried out the iMac a minute ago. Whoooo, kernel panic on startup. No wonder it was dumped in the thrift. It looks like OS X is seriously trashed on this thing. Time to pull out the ol' Norton Utilities disc.

Interesting about the iMac - I also just found one at the thrift a few weeks back. I got it for $15. It didn't boot up, so I installed OS9 (took forever for me to find a friend with the CD's) and that fixed it all up. I'm not going to upgrade to 10 because it'll just slow the poor little machine down, and I only wanted it as a word processor in a corner of the apartment. I wonder if we've hit a period where people are going to be dumping the first genereation iMacs? I could see buying a couple more just to have around to fool with.

Around the same time, a friend gave me his G4 tower with OSX installed already. It's great, but I don't have a spare monitor - or the room to have another tower around here! :) So this is a case of the technically inferior iMac being much more useful to me these days...

The thrift I bought the iMac in has on rare occasions had iMacs and Apple monitors in the past, but I never thought about buying them before. I'm trying not to take up space with a computer I don't really use. Ah, the life of a clutterer. :)

Well, I got it to work finally. I opened it up, removed the hard drive, and popped it into an external FireWire enclosure. Plugged it into my trusty ol' eMac, and found that someone (probably kids, from the look of it) fooled around with it and renamed a bunch of things, including the drive, the OS X System folder, and the OS 9 System Folder. Renamed everything, ran Disk Utility on it to check a little deeper, and then re-installed the HD and started it up. Worked fine. It looked like a business computer for a law firm. And I found an AOL disc inside the CD drive. :lol: Could have been the problem right there!

I dug out Norton Utilities 2.0, and I'm giving the thing a good going-over. Good news is, it's already got OS X 10.3 installed. I gave my spare copy of OS X 10.3 to my sister along with my friend's iBook, so I don't need to get that back from her anytime soon. I wasn't sure if there would be all that new of a OS X revision on it, so I'm happy about that. Now I need to install OpenOffice on it, and find a spare keyboard.

Had a pretty good find at my local thrift last night

SNES Controller

PS1 Controller

Simpsons Barts Nightmare SNES

Scooby Doo Mystery SNES

Frogger SNES

Super Offroad The Baja SNES

Super Mario World SNES

F-zero SNES

All for 1.99

Also picked up a few things at other thrifts

Like New Super Mario Bros. Bedsheets .50

Quick Shot Joystick NES .99

2600 Extension Wire for joysticks .97

yeah..that is indeed a great deal!

around my neck of the woods I'm finding scores like that in dumpster diving and hand outs. the thrifts are charging up to $75 for that type of stuff.

well.. depending on hard drive.. if there was one in there yer looking at a 5 gig, any thing over that and the price goes up exponitaly.

after that.. I leave it for someone who would need it more complete then what I would strip it for parts..

dumpster dives go into a pile to be sorted and retro-fitted to make gud'nuff 'pooters to give away

yeah..that is indeed a great deal!

around my neck of the woods I'm finding scores like that in dumpster diving and hand outs. the thrifts are charging up to $75 for that type of stuff.

well.. depending on hard drive.. if there was one in there yer looking at a 5 gig, any thing over that and the price goes up exponitaly.

after that.. I leave it for someone who would need it more complete then what I would strip it for parts..

dumpster dives go into a pile to be sorted and retro-fitted to make gud'nuff 'pooters to give away

There was no hard drive. Usually the computers I find in thrifts fall into several categories:

-no hardware at all except a basic CD-ROM, motherboard, floppy and power supply

-$40 plus computer that you can't open to see what's inside

-complete 486 class (or lower) machine

-Working PIII class machine with installed OS, with or without montior, keyboard, mouse, etc priced well over $100.

-various mostly useless parts sitting on a shelf for $5 or $10 a pop.

The computer that I use most of the time was built almost entirely from thrift store parts. I got the CPU (PIII 800) from someone on ebay, and the video card (Voodoo 5 5500) was given to me by a friend, as was the CD-ROM. I got the case, tower and motherboard all at once as a unit, that also came with the LS-120 drive. I got the DVD-ROM, sound card, all the memory, power supply, and modem from complete towers here and there, the SCSI card was mine from the git go, and the rest came from either thrift shop shelves or the secondhand computer shops' discount bargain bins as individual parts. Even the 19 inch CRT came from a thrift shop for $3.

I'd be lucky if I had a grand total of $200 in this machine. The main specs? PIII 800 with 512MB of RAM, Voodoo 5 5500 graphics, DVD-ROM drive, 22GB of hard drive space, working LS-120, and a Sound Blaster Audigy.

It ain't the latest stuff, but it does what I want it to, and it does that in quite a hurry.

Picked up International Soccer and Super Challenge Football at an indoor flea market today for $1 each. Nothing stunning, but i'm getting up around 140 games or so and it's starting to get hard to find anything i don't have in the wild. So i'm happy. :) My wife did much better though, on the Rainbow Brite front. She scored 3 Taco Bell promotional Sprites for 25 cents each, and an 18" Patty O'Green for $2. I get jealous when her collecting starts to go better than mine. :)

Edited by Scumdogg

Had quite an eventful day!

Goodwill:

Legacy of the Wizard (NES, CIB) $2

Pinball (NES, CIB) $2

Star Tropics (NES, CIB) $2

Zoda's Revenge (NES) $2

Faxanadu (NES) $2

Ghetto Music/Electronics Shop:

Taito Legends (PS2, sealed) features Bubble Bobble, space invaders, Rainbow Islands, Operation Wolf and 25 more $3

Intellivision Lives (PS2, sealed) features 60+ Intellivision games $2

NBA Live 05 (PS2, CIB) Free for buying the other 2

CD/Game Exchange:

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) $5

Dragon Warrior (NES) $1

Ghostbuster (NES) $2

Tetris (NES) $1

Today I picked up a shrinkwrapped copy of Connectix's Virtual Game Station for the Macintosh. It's a PlayStation emulator that got the company sued by Sony. When Sony couldn't sue them to make them stop producing them, they bought the software title from Connectix outright to stop it.

I've wondered if Sony used the Power PC code from VGS to make the backward compatability in the PS3.

Got an HP Pavilion 540n and about 10 pounds of dust. (Dust bunny farm?)

Cost? 15 minutes trip, nothing else. You heard it right, it's FREE!!!! Got it as "non working"

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01714.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01720.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01719.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01718.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01716.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01717.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/uz...um/DSC01715.jpg

Spent almost an hour cleaning the dust out and tested it, it LIVES!!!

1.6GHz P4 socket 478

128 MB DDR266 ( i think I have some more compatible 266's around)

40GB hard drive

CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo

Other included stuff aren't worthwhile.

Edited by Uzumaki

Not really a thrift find, but Miejer (sp) had a buy one get one free on $19.99 and under games so I picked up Darkwatch and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones for Xbox for $19.99.

Now I just need POP: The Sands of Time............. and an Xbox. :grin:

But there was a pawn in town that had a buttload of games for NES, SNES, Genny, Dreamcast, and a few others here and there, also had Gennys, PS1's, and a Dreamcast for $25 each, Snes for $35 and a Gamecube for $50. I didn't get anything because the games were way overpriced and had the prices marked on them in sharpie on the grey carts and silver marker on the black ones(including some Tengen NES carts). Game prices ranged from $5-$15 each.

Edited by Wester