IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

It was a good day for me as well.

went to Bullmoose, a local game and music shop here in Maine and picked up a mint, complete Brave Fencer Musashi for $8....

then hit Goodwill

picked up

Grandia II for DC, complete

Time Stalkers for DC, complete.

And hidden inside those games, which I never noticed until I got home, was:

Power Stone 2

Skies of Arcadia, Disc one

Resident Evil, Code Veronica, disc one....

Not bad for a total of $5....

wow rick you are the maine :cool:

that was more the a deal i'd call that a steal and a half :D

Nice Craigslist find for me.

Atari 2600 Jr with 89 games with manuals, 2 wierd sticks and one Atari joystick, set of paddles, plus a number of cart holders. Quite a few 4's and 5's, a 7 and an 8. Total price: $125 :)

The blue ones are new to my collection.

Here's the highlights:

Alien 4

Alpha Beam with Earnie 4

Atari Video Cube 7

Coconuts 4

Donkey Kong Jr 4

Double Dunk 4

Frostbite 4

Gopher4

Gyruss 4

James Bond 007 6

MASH 3

Masters of the Universe 4

Pitfall II 4

Pressure Cooker 4

Private Eye 5

Raft Rider 5

Smurf Rescue 4

Smurfs Save the Day 8

TAZ 4

Titlematch Pro Wrestling 4

Turmoil 3

and the rest:

Adventures of Tron

Armor Ambush

Asteroids

Barnstorming

Baskeball

Berzerk

Bowling

Burgertime

Carnival

Centipede

Chopper Command

Circus Atari

Combat

Cosmic Ark

Crystal Castles

Decathalon

Dig Dug

Dodger Cars

Dolphin

Donkey Kong

Dragonfire

Empire Strikes Back

Enduro

ET

Fishing Derby

Freeway

Frogger

Frogs and Flies

Gorf

Grand Prix

Gravitar (red)

Jungle Hunt

Kaboom

Kangaroo

Keysone Kapers

Math Gran Prix

Midnight Magic

Missle Command

Mouse Trap

Ms Pacman

Oink!

Outlaw

Phoenix

Pitfall

Popeye

Q-bert

Quickstep

Realsports Boxing

River RaidRobot Tank

RS Vollyball

Seaquest

Sky Skipper

Skyjinks

Space Invaders Sears

Space Jockey

Spiderman

Stampede

Star Raiders

Strawberry Shortcake

Super Challenge Baseball

Super Challenge Football

Tennis

Tron Deadly Discs

Tutankham

Vangaurd

Venture

Wizard of War

post-12780-1226022198_thumb.jpg

Edited by SRGilbert

Very nice haul, SRGilbert... are you planning to use those MusicMate cubes?
Thanks man, you know, I'm not sure if I'll use them all or not yet.

I figure any time you can get 89 games with manuals for $1.40 each, plus a free Jr, it's a pretty good deal. Especially considering how many I needed in the lot. :)

Edited by SRGilbert

Went a couple of weeks ago to "Aussie Junk". They're a rubbish rescue type place where you can drop off old furniture, electrical appliances, building material and general junk that might otherwise go in the bin.

The policy is more or less buyer beware - no guarantee that anything will work, good prices but no returns.

So, I picked up:

- an Apple USB Pro Keyboard, as used on Macs ~ 2003. Was clogged with dog hair and dirt. Pulled it apart and washed it up.

Works fine, not a bad pickup for $2.50. Only problem is, I don't really like it - I used it and it's not so great for gaming with cursor keys, and for typing I keep hitting function keys instead of numbers/backspace due to the close placement of the keys.

- Old Canon 630P parallel scanner. I thought it was the same model as mine, which stopped working. Problem is mine is the 620P and they use different input voltage. So, test pending to determine whether that works or not.

- Playstation original. I already had another I'd recently bought as mine has been non-operational for some years.

They had a big pile of them for $5 each. Picked one that looked in good condition - at least if it didn't work I might get a working PSU, and I could swap the case with my other recently bought one as it looks a bit worn.

Not only did this one work fine, it's also got the later BIOS with nicer display... and it's chipped!

Not really a thrift find but I picked up a Craigslist find today:

1 N64 system complete

4 controllers:

1 Authentic Nintendo Black

1 Authentic Nintendo Blue

1 Authentic Nintendo Grey

1 InterAct SharkPad(I HATE the shape of these things)

3 memory cards

1 rumble pack

11 loose games:

FIFA 98

GoldenEye 007

Killer Instinct Gold

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Mario Kart 64

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Pilotwings 64

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Starfox 64

Super Mario 64

Waverace 64

$20 for the lot and I need almost all of it. (GoldenEye and Star Wars are the only duplicates)

post-21025-1226176115_thumb.jpg

Not really a thrift find but I picked up a Craigslist find today:

1 N64 system complete

4 controllers:

1 Authentic Nintendo Black

1 Authentic Nintendo Blue

1 Authentic Nintendo Grey

1 InterAct SharkPad(I HATE the shape of these things)

3 memory cards

1 rumble pack

11 loose games:

FIFA 98

GoldenEye 007

Killer Instinct Gold

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Mario Kart 64

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Pilotwings 64

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Starfox 64

Super Mario 64

Waverace 64

$20 for the lot and I need almost all of it. (GoldenEye and Star Wars are the only duplicates)

Nice! $20 for all that is a hell of a find, especially when you actualy need the games.

Hey all. Been awhile since I posted and now that I'm in the right forum, I'll show you what I picked up! Went to the Easter Seals garage sale today in Niles, OH and much to my suprise found a bunch of 2600 games. This place usually doesn't have much in the way of games but I kept going and it finally paid off!

2600 Games

Mountain King

Jungle Hunt

Mouse Trap

Donkey Kong Junior

Pitfall II

Missle Command

River Raid

Tennis

Q*bert

Bugs

Encounter at L5

Tron Deadly Disks

Centipede

Circus Atari

Freeway

Maze Craze

Kaboom

Also a Starmaster joystick for the NES. All working and all for $5.00. Also went to Goodwill and saw a PS1 with 4 games, 4 controllers and the extension to add on 4 controllers, $24.99 but I passed having a PS1 already. Also saw Echo the Dolphin and Scarab?, I think that's the name of the game, for the Sega CD for 4.99 each. Passed on those too but wonder if I should go back. Anyone noticed that Goodwill prices have been going up? I know that sounds odd but I just seems to me they've been charging more for some of their items.

Rich

post-16374-1226190340_thumb.jpg

For sure thrift prices have gone up lately. Those places have hard costs that they have to recoup, and they know freaks like us will pay a buck and half (and often up to $5) for a 2600 game the way we used to be willing to pay a quarter. I must admit that when I started thrifting in high school in the 80's, I got into 2600 stuff because there was so much of it, and it was so cheap. In the early 90's I found NES games for a quarter too - I kind of thought that was the going rate ;)

The place I used to get all my best scores (late 80's to mid 90's) was a funny little shop about 45 minutes away, was only open twice a month during the work day, and was staffed entirely by old ladies. I would schedule classes around that! It was in an affluent suburb, so they always had really good stuff, and the old ladies always marked electronics really cheap. LP's were a dime, any sort of game cart was ten cents to a quarter, consoles were five bucks... they had a ton of great stuff all the time. I got a bang and olufsen turntable there for $2!

Those days are gone, though I find really good deals at any of the giant thrifts around Chicago... the ones that sluice through lots of merch every week. They still seem to get a lot of old stuff, and the prices are really good. Sadly those little out of the way places all discovered Ebay, and even if they didn't there is an exaggerated sense of what this crap is worth. ;)

Bargain Thrift Store had areal bad price spike, but they've eased back a little. They're still a little high even with the automatic 50% discount. Now they've made the weekly reductions know to the customers, though.

I picked up a few things tonight:

Ultra Racer PC for $4

1998 Sega Rally Championship for DC, cost me $3

Artifact-old Optimus Pro25 headphones, probably 10 to 15 years old with a blown diaphragm (how the heck do you blow titanium anyway?) $5. I've got another pair like 'em with good diaphragms but no cord, o I'll mix and match for a good pair.

Anyone noticed that Goodwill prices have been going up? I know that sounds odd but I just seems to me they've been charging more for some of their items.

The Salvation Army chain in my area not only has discovered eBay as a whole but the things that do manage to slip through to the individual stores never see the shelves anymore because the individual workers also know they can resell on eBay and, of course, they get the first shot at most deliveries.

The stuff that does hit the shelves is ridiculously priced. Example - a PS2 with 2 controllers was in the case at - get this - $99.99. I can buy one used but with a warranty at GameStop for $60. Geez...

Went by Goodwill tonight, saw about six Genesis games all boxed.

I asked the lady to see Cosmic Spacehead, it was 2.99.

So I told her I'd take it, then I was considering getting Lemmings also because mine is unboxed, then almost instantly a nerd said OH MY GOD Lemmings!

I felt like saying oh I'm getting that one, but I'd hate for somone to do that to me so I left it.

I went back about 15 minutes later to see if he got it, and he had bought all the genesis games except Sonic 2. :roll:

Edited by raregamer

Nice day today, for such a friggin' frigid day in Chicago...

NES punch out (non Tyson version) .75

tg16 - keith courage, victory run in cases .25 ea. (I haven't found TG16 in years, and NEVER with cases - these were mixed in with CD's)

PC - worms 2, Lemmings Paintball -.25 ea.

PC - Virtual Army Experience - free

PS - Dragon Tales .25

Saturn - MK3, Baku Baku - both in a CD case for .25

Saturn in cases - Last Gladiators, Clockwork Knight, World Series Baseball - a buck each

I went to a local Play N Trade today and made out pretty well.

For the NES...

$3 each

-The Guardian Legend

-Legendary Wings

-Cobra Triangle

-Power Blade

For the 2600...

$2

-Raiders of the Lost Ark, in the box but no instructions

For the SNES...

Here's where the deals were! $3 each

-UN Squadron

-Space Megaforce

I already have Space Megaforce, but for $3, I couldn't pass up another copy! :D

i got a 4 switch, 13 games, some controllers without the crubber thingys, some paddles with out the knobs, hook ups, and 2 of thoose coax plug thingys, the tiny ones, +a switch box.

total spent: 28$

not the best but hey, it worked.

he also had 5 nes's and box of nes game. i already spent money on the 2600 tho.

it was at the rose bowl flea market.

woo.