IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Left: Stack of about a dozen O2 games for $4 each.

Also left when common sense won out over impulse purchase...

LaserActive with controller for $160. I thought at first it was a laser disc player, and I considered buying it for that alone. It did not appear to have either of the expansion modules, but the controller was in the shape of a Genesis controller with the LaserActive logo on it. I figured $160 was a bit steep, but I will keep my eyes on the thing, that is for sure. I do not know if there were any games for it in the store, but the Golden Goose flea market has a vendor who sells laser disc movies.

Edited by shadow460

Left: Stack of about a dozen O2 games for $4 each.

Also left when common sense won out over impulse purchase...

LaserActive with controller for $160. I thought at first it was a laser disc player, and I considered buying it for that alone. It did not appear to have either of the expansion modules, but the controller was in the shape of a Genesis controller with the LaserActive logo on it. I figured $160 was a bit steep, but I will keep my eyes on the thing, that is for sure. I do not know if there were any games for it in the store, but the Golden Goose flea market has a vendor who sells laser disc movies.

Was that a thrift store selling it for that much? Man that would drive me nuts because I would love to have a Laseractive, but not for that price.

Yesterday at another game store in Portland I found (all loose):

Wayne Gretzky's Hockey (NES)

Willow (NES)

Track and Field II (NES)

NARC (NES)

WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game (GEN)

Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition(GEN)

Metal Gear Solid Perfect Guide

Metal Gear Solid Substance Guide

Streets of Rage (GG)

I bought SOR to re-sell, but the rest are for me to play. I'll probably just play most of them enough to write a review for my site and then kick them to the curb, but we'll see what's worth keeping.

Chris

Whole bunch of Atari Lynx games today.

Ms. Pac Man

Blue Lightning

Electrocop

Scrapyard Dog

Dracula the Undead.

The last 2 games coming in their box and ScrapYard dog coming with the poster/instructions. this this is frickin' HUGE!

post-5846-1243513983_thumb.jpg post-5846-1243514079_thumb.jpg

Where did you find these?

At a Gametraders in Australia, they recieved a model I and II Lynx and a bunch of games. I bought the model II from the same Gametraders as well.

I bought a lower mid-range Laserdisc player complete with original packaging and remote, with the following movies:

Spawn-Special Edition

Terminator

Terminator 2 Special Edition

Top Gun

True Lies

Jurassic Park Letterboxed Edition

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Godzilla (recent version, still sealed)

Men in Black

Strange Brew

Total Recall

Alien Special Widescreen Collector's Edition

Aliens Special Widescreen Collector's Edition

Broken Arrow

The Hunt for Red October Letterbox Edition

Last Action Hero

Blade Runner: The Director's Cut

Pulp Fiction

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

Robocop Collector's Edition

The X-Files (sealed)]

For 50 dollars, delivered to my house from Craigslist.

I haven't posted any of my finds, so I'll summarize...

1. Atari 7800 in good condition with about 15 or so games. Nothing more than R3. Ebay for around $40.

2. 4 port Atari 5200 in box with about 8-10 commons for $30 from craigs list. I ended up not keeping the box. It was in very bad shape and musty. However, it did the job of keeping the 5200 in great shape. Of course, I had to fix the controllers.

3. 15 Misc common 2600 carts for a $1-$2 each (space invaders, etc). Only slightly rare one was Pitfall II with no actiplaque.

4. From various thrift locations: 1 normal colored SNES with hookups, controllers, SuperMario World, Yoshi's Island, SuperMario All Stars, Starfox, Super R-Type, Super Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country 2, Game Genie (haven't figured out how to use it). I'm guessing all of that cost somewhere between $60-$70, but I'm not digging up all of the receipts to find out exactly.

5. Most recent were one ASCIIware SNES controller for about $3 and a Command and Conquer collection (has everything before C&C3) for $7. There was a model 2 Sega Genesis there for $17, but I left it. The collection that was put out for the 360/PS3 satisfies most of my genesis needs.

Ok, I think I had a pretty good weekend. :)

Friday after work, hit an advertised yard sale that had lots of game stuff, but only a few things I needed. Picked up:

Original gray Gameboy in near perfect condition, no screen scratches or anything, in a long plastic carry case: $4

Original CLEAR Gameboy in clear plastic case, used but in great shape, with 4 games Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Land, Super Mario Land and Tetris plus a Gameboy link cable $10

Gamecube Wavebird wireless receiver plug $.50 (I know I've pass up a Wavebird before because the dongle was missing!)

Black plastic Atari cart holder, big one too, holds 24 carts and a slot for manuals $.50

Video Speedway for the CDi $1 (I've never even seen a CDi, much less own one, but I thought, why not.)

Today at yard sales, some nice deals:

PS2 Guitar Hero 1 $3! (I offered a guy at a flea market $10 for a copy of this last week, he said no way!)

Ps3 Tetris Worlds $2

Gamecube Lego Star Wars II Original Trilogy $3

Gamecube Ultimate Spider-man $3

N64 in Jungle Green, with memory expansion, 3 controllers (2 green, 1 gray - all with good sticks)

and three games including Quake 2, Cyber Tiger Golf and Twisted Edge Snowboarding - All for $15

Radica Sega Genesis plug and play - the one with the little Genesis that can be hacked - $2.35

My best find of the weekend, and probably for the rest of the year, reminded me why you should ALWAYS open all zipper cases!

I'm at an "estate sale" and see a rectangular black zipper bag on a table, looked like it was probably for cassettes or something. So I check it out anyway as per my rule above, and what do I reveal? Oh nothing, except a SEGA NOMAD, with a battery holder and power supply! :-o So I look for a price tag, oh yeah, IT'S $2! :lust: Man what could be better than finding a complete Sega Nomad for only two bucks? How about finding another one that is also two dollers! That's right, sitting under the case was ANOTHER case with ANOTHER Nomad for only $2! I thought I was going to poop! I've tested them both out and they are both great. Both are immaculate, they even have the original film over the screens. In the picture it looks like the screens are scratched, but that is just on the protective film. I know I will keep one for sure, haven't decided about the other yet.

Man what I great day, although this only deepens my addicition.............. :ponder:

post-12780-1243720441_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1243720642_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1243720657_thumb.jpg

post-12780-1243720668_thumb.jpg

I thought I was going to poop! I've tested them both out and they are both great. Both are immaculate, they even have the original film over the screens. In the picture it looks like the screens are scratched, but that is just on the protective film. I know I will keep one for sure, haven't decided

I woulda pooped. :ponder: nothing that good ever happens for me. Too many searchers in Nashville. I did get a Nomad a few weeks back for like $40 with games but the battery box is broken :(

AX

:-o

That has got to be the best Nomad deal ever! I absolutely love mine, nothing like a little Genesis action before some shut eye.

Ok, I think I had a pretty good weekend. :)

Friday after work, hit an advertised yard sale that had lots of game stuff, but only a few things I needed. Picked up:

Original gray Gameboy in near perfect condition, no screen scratches or anything, in a long plastic carry case: $4

Original CLEAR Gameboy in clear plastic case, used but in great shape, with 4 games Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Land, Super Mario Land and Tetris plus a Gameboy link cable $10

Gamecube Wavebird wireless receiver plug $.50 (I know I've pass up a Wavebird before because the dongle was missing!)

Black plastic Atari cart holder, big one too, holds 24 carts and a slot for manuals $.50

Video Speedway for the CDi $1 (I've never even seen a CDi, much less own one, but I thought, why not.)

Today at yard sales, some nice deals:

PS2 Guitar Hero 1 $3! (I offered a guy at a flea market $10 for a copy of this last week, he said no way!)

Ps3 Tetris Worlds $2

Gamecube Lego Star Wars II Original Trilogy $3

Gamecube Ultimate Spider-man $3

N64 in Jungle Green, with memory expansion, 3 controllers (2 green, 1 gray - all with good sticks)

and three games including Quake 2, Cyber Tiger Golf and Twisted Edge Snowboarding - All for $15

Radica Sega Genesis plug and play - the one with the little Genesis that can be hacked - $2.35

My best find of the weekend, and probably for the rest of the year, reminded me why you should ALWAYS open all zipper cases!

I'm at an "estate sale" and see a rectangular black zipper bag on a table, looked like it was probably for cassettes or something. So I check it out anyway as per my rule above, and what do I reveal? Oh nothing, except a SEGA NOMAD, with a battery holder and power supply! :-o So I look for a price tag, oh yeah, IT'S $2! :lust: Man what could be better than finding a complete Sega Nomad for only two bucks? How about finding another one that is also two dollers! That's right, sitting under the case was ANOTHER case with ANOTHER Nomad for only $2! I thought I was going to poop! I've tested them both out and they are both great. Both are immaculate, they even have the original film over the screens. In the picture it looks like the screens are scratched, but that is just on the protective film. I know I will keep one for sure, haven't decided about the other yet.

Man what I great day, although this only deepens my addicition.............. :ponder:

Wow. Congrats on those nomads. In my thrifting career, I've only ever found 2-3 Nomads, and none of them ever worked. i was just thinking about a half hour ago how much I'd like to have one, or maybe a CDX...

Anyway, I had my own sort of luck:

mini PSone with clear official controller - $3

clear green PS controller -.99

PS - Phantom Menace (as if the movie weren't bad enough - .99

PS - Driver - .99

PS - Ridge Racer - .99

Lightpen from a cash register. Don't know what I can do with it, but it was 99 cents. ;)

Kodak PhotoCD player - mini version. I still have lots of Photo CD's from the early 90's, this was new in the box. $4.50

Game Cube + GB Player - $7

TiVo - free in alley (I'll probably just rip out the hard drive)

NetMD enabled MiniDisc player abandoned at my friend's work for 5 years - free with sealed blank MD's too.

not as good as Mr. Gilbert's finds, but not bad.....

Hey man, don't feel bad. If you look back at my posts, there are plenty of weekends where I don't find anything! It seems to go in cycles designed to drive me crazy. It will feel like 2 weekends in a row will be horrible, so I swear I'm going to give it up. Then I had a weekend like this and it pulls me back in. :ponder:

Picked up a boxed Telegames Super Video Arcade with sixteen boxed games for $10 today. The boxes all have some wear but at least they are there. I didn't have a SVA and one of the games and when I got it home it works! I remember now why I don't play my Intellivsion much, just can't get into the discs, good games, not my favorite controller though.

Lots of people thinking they had a fortune sitting there like $10 Atari and Nintendo commons, actually saw a loose 2600 Pac for $20. The cheapest NES games I saw were $2 each, nothing good at all. Lots of overpriced crap.

Scored the aforementioned LaserActive unit today. I did not realize it had the Genesis pack installed. I just assumed it was part of the unit and I didn't pay attention to the logos on it. It has the Genesis style game controller, a standard remote with deader than heck batteries, and the Genesis pack which allows the use of Genesis carts and Sega CD games. I assume 32X games do not work with it, since mine do not physically fit the pack.

Now there's more, as I got some stuff to use with it.

Rebel Assault I cost me $4.

I also purchased a stack of laser discs for it, and you won't believe the prices:

$1 titles:

Jack (letterboxed)

Forrest Gump

My Best Friend's Wedding

Cinderella

Snow White

Aladdin

A Time to Kill

Eraser

$2 titles:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek: First Contact

Elvis on Tour

SE7EN

Jurassic Park

The Hunt for Red October

The Firm

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Mr Holland's Opus

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

The Truth About Cats and Dogs (good movie, but this means I just wasted $5 on the DVD a while back)

And that's it. Not one of the movies cost me over $2, and there are tons more where those came from.

I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen. That means I gotta put First Contact on hold. grrr... watching Troi get drunk is hilarious.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was wrong about the price. It was 75% off, so I paid only $40 for the LaserActive, its remote, the Pioneer Genesis controller, and the Genesis pack. I thought it would be half price, at $80, so I took the other $40 and got the movies.

I got a very nasty looking 2600 Fathom cart for $8 today also. I'll transplant the board into my nice looking one that has a dead board.

Edited by shadow460

Here it all is, all but the Elvis video and First Contact, which is currently in the player. That's my Saturn sitting on its head in the background. I promise the fanboys that I'll set it back up, ok? :P

This weekend I wanna pick up Speed over at the flea market, and maybe some other. Some of those movies are ones I think my wife would be interested in. I think she has several of them on VHS, and while she wants them on DVD I figure that these are a nice stop gap until the laser discs give up.

I'll need a lot of popcorn to go with all of those. I suppose that I could try to locate some movies and trade them for a serving of popcorn. I prefer butter and salt, and make sure it stays hot in the mail! :D

post-7210-1243889735_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1243889747_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1243889759_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1243889770_thumb.jpg

If you want a real Laserdisc experience, you'll want a better player than a LaserActive. They're cool because of all they can do, but the video and audio playback is sub-par.

Laserdisc is an analog format, meaning the quality of your visual experience is heavily dependent upon the quality of your player and the disc itself. If you've got a crappy player and a bad disc, you're barely going to notice an improvement over VHS. If you've got a nice player, a properly mastered disc, and a good sound setup it'll be virtually indistinguishable from DVD from a visual standpoint and even better from an audio standpoint. While DVD is higher resolution, it's also lossy and prone to artifacting.

If you want a real Laserdisc experience, you'll want a better player than a LaserActive. They're cool because of all they can do, but the video and audio playback is sub-par.

Laserdisc is an analog format, meaning the quality of your visual experience is heavily dependent upon the quality of your player and the disc itself. If you've got a crappy player and a bad disc, you're barely going to notice an improvement over VHS. If you've got a nice player, a properly mastered disc, and a good sound setup it'll be virtually indistinguishable from DVD from a visual standpoint and even better from an audio standpoint. While DVD is higher resolution, it's also lossy and prone to artifacting.

No. Laserdisc can either be Analog or Digital depending on which player you buy.