IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've only ever found 3 Nomads in 20 years of thrifting, and all three were busted in some way or the other. Better luck to all of you out there! ;)

Nomad are probably one of the top 3 hardest handhelds to find in the wild. I have only found 1 but man is it mint and only for $7.

I think each console has it's year at garage sales. Last year for me was PS1 games and 2600 controllers. Every garage sale had the same exact PS1 sports titles and kiddie games and the same 3rd party pointmaster 2600 controllers.

Oh and as for Midnight Magicman. $35 for a Genesis is insanely overpriced especially for a garage sale. Anything above $20 you should just skip. Good idea not getting it.

Just saw a Real 3do console with 10 games and controllers,including Myst,Dragon's Lair,no power supply for $19.99, passed on it.Not familiar with those.I failed to see the Brand,werent those by Panasonic?It was tempting to buy,but i made a promise to myself to only get INTV,2600,7800 and CV stuff,i have no more room dammit.

Edited by Rik

I would have jumped on that 3DO. it was a made by a couple different companies, the idea being that any manufacturer could license the spec. Didn't bring the price down though, as it was insanely expensive. It's also the last (or at least among the last) console not to have 3D chips built in. It still had to use visual "tricks" to convey 3D, so it has deep roots that way... to say nothing of the Amiga connection for those of us who still hold the Amiga so dear. ;)

From dumpster diving:

Compaq computer with a Spitfire 800 MHz CPU (Duron) and a 40 GB hard disk. I pulled the CD drives and will thrift them since they sell there, and if the hard disk works I'll toss it into my PIII box for a total of 120GB of storage. The Spitfire I will keep. I collect a tiny bit of older computer hardware.

I've only ever found 3 Nomads in 20 years of thrifting, and all three were busted in some way or the other. Better luck to all of you out there! ;)

I dare say that a used store in Saint Joseph MO has a nomad or three...Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was mine when I sold it there for store credit some 5 years ago. LOL.

I had purchased some old TG-16 games for a TurboExpress I snatched up. found out it was bricked (still have it though). Sold the 10 games to the store for credit. About 2 years later, they had a TG-16 with games for sale. My now ex gf bought it for me. Turned out the 10 games that were with it....were the 10 games I sold to them! LOL.

Recent Craigs list find:

Colecovision console with Power supply, hookups, controllers

Expansion Module #1

Games: Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Slither, Cosmic Avenger, DK Jr, War games, Super Action Baseball, and Zaxxon

Everything works and is in pretty decent shape

6 switch sears Telegames (the light variety), power adapter and hook ups, 3 joystick controller, and one set of paddle controllers. There are 14 common games not counting some duplicates. The joystick controllers need some TL (clean contacts), but otherwise, things are in pretty good shape (aside from the activision games with actiplaque). After 23 years, I have a 2600 again (was using a 7800 to play 2600 games)

Misc:

1 RF unit for a sega console. I suspect SMS.

1 white intellivision controller (useless to me)

1 third party atari 2600 controller that has seen better days.

All for $50. I say that is a pretty good deal. Aren't working colecovisions that are in good shape a bit on the hard side to find?

Is there something going on with Genesis games? They've just become incredibly easy to find. Every sing week I've had a good sized Genesis score.

Yeah I don't know what's up. Seems like it's the sega stuff in general. In 2008 I found a total of 9 Genesis games (a few of them sports titles, so they don't really count). This year I've already found a game gear, 6 gg games, an extra gg power supply, & 17 genny games! I even passed up on a genesis console @ one garage sale ($35). Maybe I'll find a Saturn or Nomad next? *fingers crossed*

Peace

It's a buyers market for Genesis, SNES, and NES around here. Unless it is rare, NES and Genesis are the cheapest, with SNES games a little more, but nothing like last year's prices.

And Genesis consoles are a dime a dozen. You were right to pass. Even my Goodwill gets them and flips them over for $15.

Some of the classic stores still try to take advantage of the Nintendo name and sell a SNES for $50, but a little patience will land you one for far less than that.

I'm thinking that I've hit my lifetime quota for Sega stuff this year. After getting that giant tub of games with 2 model 1 genesis consoles for $20, and then finding those TWO mint condition Nomads for $2 each, I don't want to get greedy!

This past weekend was pretty much a big gooseegg and that's after spending all day Saturday hitting yard sales and going to two flea markets on Sunday. I think the only gaming stuff I found (that I wanted) were a couple of cheap X-box games.

The funny thing is that I saw TONS of games at the flea markets, but either they weren't marked or they were marked really high. I wasn't in the mood to haggle either, especially with someone who barely speaks English. Also, now that I have an Iphone, it's a lot easier to check on games I've never heard of. I'll pick up ANY 2600 game I don't have (or know if it's worth anything) but unless they are super cheap, I'll pass on just about anything else marked over $2.

I did get a nice deal on a pair of Infinity Reference One bookshelf speakers. From what I've been able to tell, they were normally like $100 a pair, and I got them for $10 and they sound pretty nice. I have an extra AV tuner I'm going to set up in the basement for audio only, so these should work nicely.

picked up a mini snes with the necessary parts for $15

and got this sweet vintage rc porsche for $5 (not including 4xC and 2x9v batteries :P )

post-20387-1246507429_thumb.jpg

genesis 2 console only 99c

super joy III console only $2.39

btw can anyone tell me what a 10v 0.3A sega ac adpter goes with?

and got this sweet vintage rc porsche for $5 (not including 4xC and 2x9v batteries :P )

Hello

WTF

That AC adapter is the Sega CD/32X/Master System or Model 1 Genesis.

got this stuff through craigslist for $30 (never thought I'd find anything older than ps2 stuff on there)

NES system with all hookups, controller, zapper and these games:

nintendo

Dr. Mario

Othello

Remote Control

Tetris

Excitebike x2

Spot the video game

Super Mario Bros/DuckHunt/Track Meet

Ultra Ski or Die

Super Nintendo

Super Battleship

NBA Jam

Carrier Aces

Air Strike Patrol

Super Mario All Stars

Wizardry V

Star Trek Starfleet Academy

Nintendo 64

Kirby 64 The crystal Shards

Pilot Wings 64

Hey You Pikachu

Conkers Bad Fur Day

NES mario bros $1 (always good to have some of these around to bundle with systems)

NES milon's secret castle $1

They had some Genesis games and even SMS Rockey that I would have gotten too, but they wanted $5 each. The NES games were "old as dirt" by their own word, but when I pointed out that the Genesis titles weren't much newer they didn't care. I also passed up a Genesis 1 + CD sidecar for $5 (have enough of those) and another CD sidecar for $3. I would have bought them for trade, but then I've gotta dig up AC adapters, etc...

I missed out on a pair of TiVO units marked $3.50 each. Those are a great source for lockable 40 gig hard drives that are nec to put in an Xbox. I'm not too mad tho - I found an actual X-box tucked away on a shelf, also marked $3.50. This beats my prior record of $5...

Cool 80's CD player - very tiny - Sony cdp-s27 - $5

Video processing unit by ADP - used to be in the old DAK catalog - $6

Troma's Edge TV DVD - $1

Another ool thing I left behind was some sort of Satelite TV converter box which Iv'e seen lots of before, but this had a toggle in the back maked "lock/unlock". Through the vents I could make out a little daughterboard, so I'm guessing that this was some kind of on the sly mod. Wonder what it was for...

I missed out on a pair of TiVO units marked $3.50 each. Those are a great source for lockable 40 gig hard drives that are nec to put in an Xbox. I'm not too mad tho - I found an actual X-box tucked away on a shelf, also marked $3.50. This beats my prior record of $5...

They're also great to see some old episodes of stuff. Even if the service no longer exists, you can still watch the recorded shows. I actually use them as my torrent drives. They work well for that too.

It's like you're reading my mind. I usually check out the old systems to see if there's anything worth watching, and then use the drive for torrents or transporting data. Too bad external 3.5" enclosures haven't come down to under $10 yet...

It's funny. I have like 6 of the freaking boxes because my parents switched from Tivo to Dish Network and finally settling on IO Cable. I have old epsiodes of All That and Pete & Pete on my Tivo box from my room. Too bad there's only 1 episode of Pete & Pete saved :( .