IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Update on my $30 haul of systems. The PS2 powers on and gives you the main menu screen, but insert a game or movie dvd and it doesn't load it.

Is it a "fat" PS2? Google for "ps2 white gear". While this won't help a truly crapped-out drive, and it's a pain in the butt to take the unit apart (especially to avoid pulling out cables that you shouldn't), it may in fact fix it.

My friend gave me his old PS2 (Fat) when it stopped reading discs and he bought a new one. I opened it up, tweaked the laser pots and it was fine. Give that a try.

Ya, I probably would see if I could get it working, but I'm really strapped for time lately, been so busy. And I got the stuff for such a good deal, I'm just trying to sell it as-is. :)

Update on my $30 haul of systems. The PS2 powers on and gives you the main menu screen, but insert a game or movie dvd and it doesn't load it.

Is it a "fat" PS2? Google for "ps2 white gear". While this won't help a truly crapped-out drive, and it's a pain in the butt to take the unit apart (especially to avoid pulling out cables that you shouldn't), it may in fact fix it.

My friend gave me his old PS2 (Fat) when it stopped reading discs and he bought a new one. I opened it up, tweaked the laser pots and it was fine. Give that a try.

Ya, I probably would see if I could get it working, but I'm really strapped for time lately, been so busy. And I got the stuff for such a good deal, I'm just trying to sell it as-is. :)

"Fix" is a generous term. You can adjust the white gear to play DVDs, CDs, and dual-layer DVDs, but not all three at once. I've done it before- I had to do it to play Gradius V and Chulip- and it's no fun having to readjust it constantly to play all the games in your collection. I just wound up buying a slimline PS2 as a replacement.

Picked up a Sega Genesis 1 + Sega CD Model 1 for $15 today at Salvation Army. Hooray! Now I have a Sega CD! No games though :(

Shouldn't be a problem with the internet :cool: . Finding more than a handful of decent games for the Sega CD? Well, that's another story. Also, why are the Sega Saturn ISOs so unreliable? I prep them correctly by "notebook"ing the .cue files so they all work, write at a low speed (x4), use name brand CDs, yet I get a very high failure rate.

Bought:

Sega Saturn (Model 1) w/ controller & Sega Genesis Arcade stick (never realized it, but, this thing is WORTH it! Playing NHL series is like a whole new experience--highly recommend!) = $20

13 loose 2600 carts (love running into these!) -- The great Airlock & Sssnake by DataAge, Star Wars Jedi Arena, Activision Decathlon (crap label) = $20

The Semi-Steal:

Sega Saturn (Model 1), Sega Dreamcast, NES w/2 controllers (needs super cleaning), Sega Genesis (Model 3) [no AC plugs for all], few loose Saturn games (Sonic) = $27

Passed:

Atari 5200 (Model 2) with 3 common games and 2 controllers = $50. Countered with $20. Would not budge. I stayed a while at the Flea and gave the "I'm leaving now, $25?" Nope, and no counter offer.

"Fix" is a generous term. You can adjust the white gear to play DVDs, CDs, and dual-layer DVDs, but not all three at once. I've done it before- I had to do it to play Gradius V and Chulip- and it's no fun having to readjust it constantly to play all the games in your collection. I just wound up buying a slimline PS2 as a replacement.

I think it depends on how the drive is messed up. From what I understand, the white gear is the coarse control for the angle of the read head. And it uses a cheap leaf spring to keep in position. As the leaf spring weakens with use, the gear lets you adjust for the change in spring tension.

Of course the best reason to have a fat PS2 is because you can add a hard drive and a memory card running Free McBoot and turn it into a jukebox system which doesn't need to use the crap Sony drive. Rip and patch once on a PC, then put the game back on the shelf.

Back on topic, I found a Camerica NES Freedom Stick the other day, minus the IR receiver module. Add a 9-wire plug, and a DB-9 connector for a keypad, and this should make a good replacement joystick for Colecovision.

Soooo.... I saw an ad on Craigslist that advertised a moving sale for Friday and Saturday of last week and in the ad it says that they will have (among other things) video game items, Atari, Sega, Nintendo ect. Now usually if the sale is on a Friday (when I'm working) and they advertise games stuff, it will be LONG gone by the time I get there the next day, so I decide to shoot them an email on Friday night to ask if they have anything left that would be worth checking out. Saturday morning I still didn't get an answer, so I figure what the heck I'll check it out anyway.

I get there about 9am when it was suppose to open, and sure enough, there were boxes all kinds of stuff, Sega CDs in great condition, tons of Genesis carts, a couple of boxes of Atari carts, as well as misc other things for very reasonable prices.

I'm looking around, grabbing what I wanted and in the meantime I'm chatting with the guy there, talking a bit about collecting and he asks me if I'm on any boards, and I tell him I'm on Atariage. Turns out this is FABombjoy's house! Now, I knew he lived around here, but it was pretty cool to run into each other like that! Great guy and if I didn't have to be somewhere else I would have hung around longer.

I ended up getting these

2600 - Fast Food

2600 - Pele's Soccer

Sega Gen - The Humans

Sega CD 32x - Fahrenheit

Sega CD - Sonic CD

Sega CD - Rebel Assault

Sega CD - Silpheed

Sega CD - Corpse Killer

Sega CD - Sega Classics Arcade Collection

Sega Saturn - Last Gladiators

Sega DC - Sega Bass Fishing

All for $18! Not too shabby. :) I probably should have gotten more, but this was still a nice find and my first in a long time. Thanks man!

On a funny/sad note, later in the day I stopped by a new game store that is very close to FABombjoy's house. I asked if they had any Atari stuff, and he tells me he just got some today! He pulls it out, and it's the two boxes of 2600 carts I just saw at FABombjoy's earlier in the day for 50 cents each! Except NOW they were marked for CRAZY prices, Indiana Jones for $5.95, Space War for like $9.99! He had some other 2600 stuff too that was even more outragous that he didn't get from FABombjoy, like a pair of Atari brand wireless controllers for.......$129.99 loose! How about a loose copy of Buck Roger or Return of the Jedi for only $24.99 each! icon_surprised.gif

I just told, "That's ok, I already picked these over this morning at the same garage sale and got all the good ones for $.50 each." icon_lol.gif

Picked up a Sega Genesis 1 + Sega CD Model 1 for $15 today at Salvation Army. Hooray! Now I have a Sega CD! No games though :(

thepiratebay is always a good temporary solution. Believe me. If I could find good SEGA CD games in the wild, I would buy them.

Define "good" because there are not many.

Aside from the the rpgs, I've seen most of the common SegaCD games in the wild around here over the last 6 months (e.g., Sonic CD, Slipheed, Final Fight CD). SegaCD games (real discs) seem to play pretty well under Neogensis on the XBOX

Picked up a loose The Mafat Conspiracy for NES for 99 cents at Goodwill, and a nice black label case/manual for Grandia. would have been nice if someone didn't steal the game, as it was only $4.99, but I figure the case and manual are probably worth something too at 99 cents.....(of course, since they would have thrown it away, they could have just given it to me....)

Just got something really awesome at the flea market.

boxed Genesis Shaq Fu (well not so awesome)

boxed CD32x Corpse killer

boxed Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Shuffle

Night Trap

Sealed Astroblast

Coleco Gemini

Genesis Model 3

All of this for $30.

Did you happen to get this all at a really awesome flea market in New Milford?

You should use Underground-gamer.com for SegaCd and Sega Saturn ISOs, not sites like Pirate Bay. The Saturn ISOs I download have an almost zero failure rate. Same for Sega CD.

Chris

I tried to register at underground-gamer, but I got an error "User limit exceeded".

Bummer, burning Sega CD games would hold me over until I can get the real deal.

Picked up a few new games. Found my list after I moved. Found I already owned one. Drat. maybe it is a better label. ANyway.

Pacman JR red cart with name on it

The power system amiga (mogul maniac) - I had to add this to the printed out list I had for years.

I got the list 10/15/99 from the internet form a place called clark.net. Not around anymore. UP until now

it had all the games I found.

Imagic RIddle of the spinx. (this I already have but I'll check to see if it is a better label.)

A while back a load of game for this area anyway came in. THe best ones was picked throuhg about the first day. I was there when they brought them out and most of the more rare carts I already had. Now that I have my list. I can go back today. But mostly it is combat and stuff.

TTFN,

Josh

You should use Underground-gamer.com for SegaCd and Sega Saturn ISOs, not sites like Pirate Bay. The Saturn ISOs I download have an almost zero failure rate. Same for Sega CD.

Chris

I tried to register at underground-gamer, but I got an error "User limit exceeded".

tell me what you want and I'll send you the torrent files.

Chris

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite. Then you will be able to register.

Chris

"$3 for all classic games" came through nicely at Game Dude today.

CIMG0552.jpg

Even though a have a Vectrex multi-cart, it's still nice to find an actual cartridge that I didn't have (PP).

This one I couldn't pass up at a thrift, also $3. Keith Courage manual, Alien Crush case, Dragon's Curse card, all together.

CIMG0554.jpg

Just got something really awesome at the flea market.

boxed Genesis Shaq Fu (well not so awesome)

boxed CD32x Corpse killer

boxed Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Shuffle

Night Trap

Sealed Astroblast

Coleco Gemini

Genesis Model 3

All of this for $30.

Did you happen to get this all at a really awesome flea market in New Milford?

Ummmmmmm. Yes. Is the government watching me???

Edited by Poopopyo

Wow you guys have all the luck. I can't seem to find anything around here lately. I did go to Cleveland for CCAG 2009.5 to get some retro gaming stuff I wanted. Some of the games and miscellanious I got were:

Mario Bros.

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Sim

Fantastic Voyage

Intellivion

Overlays for Space Battle, AD&D and Sea Battle

Colecovision

Zaxxon

Cosmic Avenger

Looping

Donkey Kong Junior

Space Fury

Genesis

Hard Drivin'

Sega CD

Formula 1 Championship

Gameboy

Joust and Defender

Another cart with 4 games on it (can't remember the names right now)

SNES

Two controllers

It was a really good show, lots of people, lots of dealers and games. I tried to win a GenMobile in the ticket drawing but no such luck. I did spend a lot of time at the Zaxxon, Tempest and Gorf arcade games, free to play as much as you want. Digital Dino's were there with their retro computers and they had a game running on each one. Aetherbyte Studios was there with a new game they created for the TurboGrafx-16 which was a lot like Berzerk but updated graphics, sound, etc. Nice game if you happen to see it buy it. I almost bought a TurboGrafx-16 just for that but passed. It was $50 and I'd already spent way too much so I figured I'd better quit before I go broke. Oops already there! I don't why there's been such a limited amount of retro game stuff around here at the thrift shops or flea's lately. Guess there's more retro gamers in the area than I thought. I'll keep looking.

Rich