IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not a thrift find, but a good one none the less. A friend of mine game me his wife's pink Nintendo DS this morning because it was "broken". It came with a car charger, multi/USB/wall charger, extra stylus, carrying case and both Mario Kart DS and Mario Brothers Advance. All of the buttons were unreponsive. The first thing I did was spray them all down with Deoxit. Guess what? They all work now. Sweet! I'll give this to my girl for our anniversary on Sunday and sell the one I bought last week to buy her an M3DSReal flash cart. Kick. Ass.

hit the annual big-deal neighborhood garage sales this week, and found one thing worth noting:

zdda6l.jpg

factory sealed (a bit smooshed), $15 :D

also got a nice nes narc cib for $1 and monster brand xbox1 hd/optical a/v cables for $5

Edited by Lincoln

Here's a neat one :)

Went to a garage sale on the way back from lunch, and spotted a monitor in the "Free pile".

The guy said it was in the garage for like 25+ years and wasnt sure if it still worked, so I took it lol

Gave it to my friend.

He was surprised to see it was a Commodore 64 monitor with AV cables! Dated September 1983.

He'll let me know if it works.

That day he went to a flea market and bought 150 random 2600/5200 and INTV carts for $1 ea. He gave me some that I needed :) (Including one that felt heavy, it was indeed an eprom inside of an 2600 Activision game) (No its not an unreleased game, just a mediocre title. Ice Hockey. yay lol)

Edited by Shantai

I must be losing my touch. I guess it's not a bad thing, but I find myself passing up stuff that I would have grabbed just a couple of years ago.

Today I hit a garage sale that had a complete in box 2600 Jr.,about 20 commons, a boxed Pro Controller, a loose Wico bat stick, boxed Star Raiders and a couple of other boxed games for $60, but since I had everything but the Jr box, I left it for the next guy. I'll grab stuff if it includes stuff I don't have, but I guess I'm done buying stuff just to resell it, and I'm really not a box collector just for the sake of it.

They also had a nice deal on an NES with abotu 15 games for $35, a Gamecube with the two Rougue Squadron games for $25, and a model 1 Genesis with a few games for $20. Passed on all of it. icon_neutral.gif

Hmmmm......seems like it's been forever since I've found anything really cool (which probably isn't really true, I'm just getting jaded.) Plus, it's supposed to rain all weekend for the second Saturday in a row, so yard sales are going to be dead.

icon_frown.gif

Today I picked up a couple things.

Atari 2600 System and 76 games = $15

And a NES cart that is in Japanese that is actually two pieces, its a 42 in 1 (a toggle switch to make it 22/20 in 1) = $6

I have pictures with my iPhone, and I can email them to somebody of they will post them for me, I have a long night at work and wont be able to for a while.

Today I picked up a couple things.

Atari 2600 System and 76 games = $15

And a NES cart that is in Japanese that is actually two pieces, its a 42 in 1 (a toggle switch to make it 22/20 in 1) = $6

I have pictures with my iPhone, and I can email them to somebody of they will post them for me, I have a long night at work and wont be able to for a while.

I'd like to see that NES cart, I sent you a PM with my email address and I will post the pic for you too.

Saw a 7800 (no AC, games, or controllers) atta flea market today, asked how much they were asking for it, left after they said $100.

Went to a junk shop-- one of my "secret spots"--, helped the old owner ID some of her wares because she's admittedly clueless about video games ('umd movie? oh, that's for a playstation portable or PSP, so're these other games, that's an N64 memory pack, and yeah, all those others are PC games'), and she told me she had an Atari game system or something in the back.

I was really really hoping it'd be a 7800 (me no have :() or even a 2600 (I already have a vader2600 but, hey, we could always use more, right?), but it was "just" an Atari 400 with some other Atari stuff and she wanted to sell it all in a bundle. I told her I'd take it.

A working Atari 400 w/ power supply, a 5200 power supply, a 5200 controller, and a broken Atari 410 cassette player for $13.

Edited by Smatchmo

Got a package from Jboypacman today with a bunch of Atari XL/XE games, a PC compilation of 2600 Activision games, and an exacto knife :D

Thanks John!

No problem Jeremy enjoy buddy. :)

LOL, I love your avatar. I used to have a Big Jim too. I had the camper set. Loved it.

I had GI Joe and Big Jim when i was a youngster and did you know Big Jim was used as the inspiration for He-Man? And they even recycled some of Big Jim for He-Man too.

One of the yard sales we hit this afternoon had a single VCS game: a boxed Riddle of the Sphinx for $1.00, with Imagic warranty card and catalog but no manual. Apparently they'd had a bunch more, but someone -- possibly the infamous Some Guy -- came through that morning and bought all their other games, save that one. The ROTS is in nice shape, and if the other games looked that good, someone got a great deal. Was it an Atariage member from Long Island? (STICH666, maybe it was you?)

I also got a Model I Genny with two controllers, AV and power cables, plus 6 CIB commons for $12. I think I'll be giving most of that to my little brother. There was another yard sale with loads of PS2 games for $2 each, and a PS2 for $20, which I passed up...it's a good deal, but right now I've got too many systems as it is.

Who knows what else I missed out on. I would've been out earlier, since I knew it'd be a great day for yard sales, but I have to work on Saturday mornings. I have a feeling Some Guy made out really well today! :D

Edited by thegoldenband

Out of the 25 or so sales today, this was all I found.

NES system, one controller, 30 games for $30. Working condition unknown, but the system is gross! Still can't complain about 30 games for a buck each with a free NES.

Dreamcast keyboard in box, $5

Also picked up a couple of Pink Floyd cds pretty cheap.

post-12780-127275984652_thumb.jpg

Pick all this Yesterday.

Nintendo Virtual Boy - $30 missing legs

Super Nintendo complete with 1 game -$20

Super Nintendo with 2 controllers and one game - $15

Space Channel 5 for PS2 - $4

Not shown is the NEW zippo that I paid $1 for, it is has best friends engraved on it. Hell I can't even buy a bic for $1 anymore.

post-25647-127280993779_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jules Wallet

This is a local flea market in Staten Island, NY. Outdoors and fairly large, they are held a few times a year. I used to go to these all the time in the early 90's, but haven't gone in about 15 years or so. It was exactly like it used to be, but with a bit less vendors.

Today was perfect, nice weather and 89 degrees. Unfortunately, I didn't see many video games, and of the ones I did see, none were older than some PS2, X-Box, and Game Boy Advance games. The only thing of interest I saw was a loose Radio Shack TRS-80 computer, but I passed it up. Besides a hot dog and soda (and a raffle ticket which lost), I only bought one thing, cassette player, still in box. It was only $5, and had "Xmas 1976" written on the box. Totally retro, will go good with my Arcadia Supercharger.

Even though it was less than stellar, I had a blast, and it reminded me of when I was a teen and used to publish Zap! Anyway, here's a pic of the tape recorder:

taperecorder.jpg

This is a local flea market in Staten Island, NY. Outdoors and fairly large, they are held a few times a year. I used to go to these all the time in the early 90's, but haven't gone in about 15 years or so. It was exactly like it used to be, but with a bit less vendors.

Today was perfect, nice weather and 89 degrees. Unfortunately, I didn't see many video games, and of the ones I did see, none were older than some PS2, X-Box, and Game Boy Advance games. The only thing of interest I saw was a loose Radio Shack TRS-80 computer, but I passed it up. Besides a hot dog and soda (and a raffle ticket which lost), I only bought one thing, cassette player, still in box. It was only $5, and had "Xmas 1976" written on the box. Totally retro, will go good with my Arcadia Supercharger.

Even though it was less than stellar, I had a blast, and it reminded me of when I was a teen and used to publish Zap! Anyway, here's a pic of the tape recorder:

taperecorder.jpg

Maaaaannnn, that is faaarrrr out!

One of the yard sales we hit this afternoon had a single VCS game: a boxed Riddle of the Sphinx for $1.00, with Imagic warranty card and catalog but no manual. Apparently they'd had a bunch more, but someone -- possibly the infamous Some Guy -- came through that morning and bought all their other games, save that one. The ROTS is in nice shape, and if the other games looked that good, someone got a great deal. Was it an Atariage member from Long Island? (STICH666, maybe it was you?)

I also got a Model I Genny with two controllers, AV and power cables, plus 6 CIB commons for $12. I think I'll be giving most of that to my little brother. There was another yard sale with loads of PS2 games for $2 each, and a PS2 for $20, which I passed up...it's a good deal, but right now I've got too many systems as it is.

Who knows what else I missed out on. I would've been out earlier, since I knew it'd be a great day for yard sales, but I have to work on Saturday mornings. I have a feeling Some Guy made out really well today! :D

Nah man. Had no gas to gout anywhere west of Bayshore. Plus I'm retired from being Someguy this season. Giving someone else a break. Oh which town are you in BTW?

Nah man. Had no gas to gout anywhere west of Bayshore. Plus I'm retired from being Someguy this season. Giving someone else a break. Oh which town are you in BTW?

18 is a bit young for gout, isn't it?

Me - this weekend has sucked. Hardly any buyers online, floods (A FOOT OF RAIN... really, a FOOT!) power losses, can't get out the driveway much less find any treasures.

AX

I want to go on record as being deeply envious of that tape recorder box. WOW! That's some art. Reminds me of a psychedelic movie camera box I found some years ago... (2nd pic in this post on Retro Thing)

I went to Half Price Books today - an easy way to lose a lot of money. Besides breing thrilled to find a Blakes 7 book, I got Saturn Pro Pinball for $3, and a PS2 EyeToy +Antigrav game for $2 (they also had a loose eyetoy for... you guessed it, $2!)

Edited by gulag picture radio

Drove down to the coast today; I don't know why I keep going or what I expect to see or even what I'd do if saw anything, but it feels like I have to do something even if it's just clogging highway 90, you know?

Anyway, I stopped off at a few places and picked up:

-model 1 Genny for $8

-1979 Mad Magazine board game (complete) for $1

-"broken" working N64, mo ac, av or controller for $3 (It's marked 'broken' but I got it home and discovered it just needs a new jumper pack.)

-Timex Sinclair 1000 w/ AC, RAM pack, 4 cassette games, documentation for $10

-Archer Flight Stick (looks for Atari 2600)- $2.00

-one of those Jakk's Atari 2600 paddle standalone systems $1.98

-Q*bert (intellivision)- free with purchase of Sinclair 1000

Edited by Smatchmo

Me - this weekend has sucked. Hardly any buyers online, floods (A FOOT OF RAIN... really, a FOOT!) power losses, can't get out the driveway much less find any treasures.

Hope the flooding didn't actually get into your house, Ax!

I was in Spain for the last two weeks... went to two markets, including the huge and awesome El Rastro in Madrid last Sunday morning. Didn't find any game stuff I wanted, though. It's mostly all PAL, of course, but I was looking for stuff that's region-free, like DS and GBA -- all the games were kind of overpriced, though. Didn't see anything 2600... was hoping to find some strange labels, but there was nothing. Did pick up a bizarre Spanish comic book about the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald for a friend, a Spanish Disney comic book for myself, some jewelry, and two adorable little yarn dolls -- Mario for aforementioned friend's son and Yoda for myself... strangely, when you look under his cape, Yoda has four legs. I did buy one game while I was there -- got the EU-only Stratego for the DS at a GameStop.

Stopped at my local Salvation Army which tends to overprice for stuff. They had two PS2's for $25 each, which strikes me as a little high these days (this is the sameplace that I got two PS2 slims for $15, so some days are better than others...). But I did find the following:

dingy SNES - $5

big sack of controllers & cables - $5

I mention the sack because it had 3x controllers etc. for the SNES, a Jaaks Atari joystick plug & play, and an HDD adapter for PS2! On top of that there are at least a dozen AC adapters of various flavors, which I can always use. Pretty nice haul! Now I've got to find out what kind of hard drives are compatible with my PS2 thingy, and then find out what sort of cool modding potential there is for such a combo. Yay!