IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I went to a garage sale today, there was a guy selling 5 NESs, 5 controllers, 5 zappers, one NES Satellite, and about 40 games for $150. They all had defunct rental store stickers on them, so I assume that the guy took the NES stuff when the store went out of business. I asked him how much for each game, and he said $5 for the loose carts, and $10 for carts with cut up boxes in a plastic case. Yuck. But, I did pick up Megaman 3, and my brother picked up River city Ransom.

tg16_games_050910.jpg

Don't get excited - this wasn't a thrift store find. I met up with a Turbo collector in my area today and bought a bunch of stuff from him to help bulk up my Turbo collection. Super cool guy. Anyways:

TV Sports Football NIB

TV Sports Hockey NIB

Power Golf NIB

Alien Crush NIB

World Class Baseball JIC

J.J. and Jeff JIC

Devil's Crush JIC

Military Madness JIC

Final Lap Twin JIC

Cadash JIC

Super Star Soldier JIC

Splatterhouse Jewel + Inst. (no game)

Keith Courage Jewel + Inst. (no game)

*JIC = Jewel, instructions, card (HuCard)

I already had Splatterhouse and Keith Courage loose, so I just wanted the case and instructions. All of the NIB games are no longer NIB as I opened them all. If anyone wants the cardboard boxes and styro, you can have them for the price of shipping. Otherwise the boxes are going to get recycled.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

Decent flea market weekend for my son and I.

My son picked up one of the plastic boxes that holds a 2600 (sorry I don't know the exact name) and has slots for carts, came with about 20 games for $10. A couple of nice titles in that lot, Tron: Deadly Disks, Burger Time, and a few others.

He also found a table top game, it's a vintage Radio Shack unit.

I picked up a bag of SNES stuff for $4. In it was a Super Game Boy, Super Game Genie, a SNES cleaning kit, and Mario Paint sans mouse.

Got a N64 Super Game Pad for $2. Devil May Cry for the PS2, and a slim PS2 for $17(needs work but good for parts if nothing else).

Saw a LOT game systems of various types, most were insanely priced, one person had a complete N64 setup (no box) for a weekend special of $50!

Also spotted a PS2 with a nice selection of Madden titles for $75, Looked like he drug the system there, and the best was a new PS3 with a 20GB drive for $350. Seems like there are two major types that setup at the fleas around here, 1. people who buy a retail lot of crap filler titles (Xbox, PS2) mostly Madden, NBA, MLB and expect big $$ from them, or 2. people who sees an Intellivision sell on e-Bay for $100 and thinks the mud encrusted one with the carts missing labels they have are worth the same. Amazing. My rule of thumb when I ask "how much for your..." and they reply "well on e-Bay I see them sell for..." I just walk away. :-)

This weekend I picked up:

Atari 2600 SIX Switch Tele-Games (Sears) w/hook ups & controllers

Atari 2600 SIX Switch w/hook ups & controllers

a box of games (aprrox. 50) I havent gone through yet to list what is in there.

N64 GOLD System

Diddy Kong Racing

Smash Bros.

Mario Kart 64Donkey Kong 64

SNES Games -

Turtles 4- Turtles In Time

Rocko's Modern Life

Warlock

World Heroes

Street Fighter II

Tiny Toons

Killer Instinct

Fatal Fury

NCAA Basketball

NES Games-

Gold Zelda

Balloon Fight

SEGA CD/Genesis System (already had games , just needed the system)

My total expenses and cost for thsi lot........ $38.00

Thank you to the random tag sales and indoor flea market in my home town.

This weekend I picked up:

Atari 2600 SIX Switch Tele-Games (Sears) w/hook ups & controllers

Atari 2600 SIX Switch w/hook ups & controllers

a box of games (aprrox. 50) I havent gone through yet to list what is in there.

N64 GOLD System

Diddy Kong Racing

Smash Bros.

Mario Kart 64Donkey Kong 64

SNES Games -

Turtles 4- Turtles In Time

Rocko's Modern Life

Warlock

World Heroes

Street Fighter II

Tiny Toons

Killer Instinct

Fatal Fury

NCAA Basketball

NES Games-

Gold Zelda

Balloon Fight

SEGA CD/Genesis System (already had games , just needed the system)

My total expenses and cost for thsi lot........ $38.00

Thank you to the random tag sales and indoor flea market in my home town.

Excellent haul for $38! Congrats.

Non-video game score on Craigslist tonight. Picked up both the Star Trek Deep Space 9 and Star Trek Voyager complete series sets on DVD for $100 each. Not bad when you figure they are still over $300 each normally. Great shape too, the Voyager set even had the Best Buy bonus discs with it. icon_mrgreen.gif

Now I just have to pick up Enterprise and I'll have all the Trek ever made! (And, no, I don't count the Abrams movie.) At this point I'll wait for Enterprise on Bluray though.

Non-video game score on Craigslist tonight. Picked up both the Star Trek Deep Space 9 and Star Trek Voyager complete series sets on DVD for $100 each. Not bad when you figure they are still over $300 each normally. Great shape too, the Voyager set even had the Best Buy bonus discs with it. icon_mrgreen.gif

Now I just have to pick up Enterprise and I'll have all the Trek ever made! (And, no, I don't count the Abrams movie.) At this point I'll wait for Enterprise on Bluray though.

Just think. In 5 years, all those Star Trek episodes will come out on one Blu-Ray.

Just think. In 5 years, all those Star Trek episodes will come out on one Blu-Ray.

Nah, there's a lot of reasons that won't happen so I'm not worried about it.

It might happen with TNG and TOS. They were both shot in widescreen iirc.

It might happen with TNG and TOS. They were both shot in widescreen iirc.

None of those were shot with widescreen in mind. there is talk of re-releasing another spruced up verson of TOS, but matted for 16:9 screens. i.e. crop off the top and bottom to simulate widescreen, but it's less picture than what the cameraman would have seen in the viewfinder and would have composed. I've always been against matting like that.

TNG was shot on 35mm film, "full frame" as they call it. They can issue it on blu-ray, but they'll need to re-do all the video -sourced effects like phaser blasts & screen displays. Those overlays were sourced in NTSC video, so they'd nee to be re-done or have some sort of treatment to look good in HD. Fortunately all the models were shot on film too. If they still have those assets, those can be re-digitized in HD. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to re-do those shots in CGI. CGI work is so cheap these days...

A good thrifting day.

Wizard of Wor (2600)

Star Wars Jedi Arena (2600)

Genesis 6-Pak (Genesis)

Earthworm Jim (Genesis)

Battletoads Double Dragon (Genesis)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters (Genesis)

Vectorman (Genesis)

All loose, $3 per cart.

post-8107-127389485093_thumb.jpg

Finally, got a nice

from a fellow youtuber. Non-yellowed to boot, although I fear they'll all eventually end up that way no matter what you do. :(

No if they haven't yet, they never will, besides UV damage. They will get brittle unfortunately. ABS plastic sucks for that.

This garage sale was less than a mile from my house so I couldn't resist to go. Ended up with this for $10.

post-22364-127393200584_thumb.jpg

post-22364-127393205343_thumb.jpg

Hasn't been turned on since 1985. Can't wait to see if it works 25 years later. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsrqX5rY-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrFwwohxt6s

Edited by STICH666