IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

It's definitely 70s... It just seems a little too "my game collection took over my dining room" to me.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

The lamp only exists because all the 'built in' lighting in my game room is literally on the opposite side from the media shelves, meaning one gets in one's own light trying to find a game.

And I will never move my gaming stuff into the dining room... the dining room table is what I use as a workbench. :P

I guess that works... totally understand the lopsided lighting issue as I have experience with that. Really I guess those swag lamps were often as reading lights in living rooms too.

But dining room table = workbench? I would totally get slaughtered if I did that. I've managed to set things up so I have a drop lid desk which I use with my laptop computer that also doubles as a work bench. I pulled it out of my parent's garage, cleaned it up, painted it, and made a little insert for it. For the big heavy stuff though there is a work bench out in the garage.

But dining room table = workbench? I would totally get slaughtered if I did that. I've managed to set things up so I have a drop lid desk which I use with my laptop computer that also doubles as a work bench. I pulled it out of my parent's garage, cleaned it up, painted it, and made a little insert for it. For the big heavy stuff though there is a work bench out in the garage.

I don't do heavy stuff on it, and it's really the only horizontal surface I have that's big enough to do things like electronics or sewing on any serious scale.

And, well, it's just me here, and it was my money spent on the table. It's not like it was an expensive table, anyway. :P

Hey, when you live in an apartment you don't have much choice. Our old dining room table was the spot of MANY pc assemblies (as well as other projects- from guitar electronics work to pumpkin carving.) before we got our house.

Funny thing is that we bought a new table when we moved. Guess where the old table is? In the basement being used as a workbench!

I don't do heavy stuff on it, and it's really the only horizontal surface I have that's big enough to do things like electronics or sewing on any serious scale.

And, well, it's just me here, and it was my money spent on the table. It's not like it was an expensive table, anyway. :P

More today:

DVD:

The Original Transformers Season One Collector's Edition - $12.00

PS2:

Black Label Dragon Warrior 8 - $2.50

Black Label Mage Man Anniversary Collection (no manual) - $7.00

Black Label Gungriffon Blaze - $3.00

Black Label Devil May Cry 2 - $2.50

PS1:

Intellivision Classic Games - $5.00

NES:

Blaster Master - $2.50

Millipede - $2.50

Mystery Quest - $4.99

Game Boy Color:

Super Game Color Advance 64-in-1 Pirated cart - $2.99 (I just had to grab this, and it turned out to be a great find: it has Super Pika Land, a hacked Super Mario Land with Pokemon sprites...pretty funny)

Game Boy Advance:

Iridion 3D - $2.00

Game Boy Advance Video: Pokemon - I Choose You! - $2.50

Misc:

Super Mario 64 Mini Electronic Pinball Machine - $6.99 (When I saw this I almost ran out of the store with it)

But dining room table = workbench? I would totally get slaughtered if I did that.

That's the advantage of having one's own house... and in my case, not being married.

Allegedly my house has three bedrooms and a dining room. All I know is there are two bedrooms, one for me and one for the roomy, and two home offices, again one for me and one for the roomy. Since I actually own the house, I get the home office with the door. :)

But dining room table = workbench? I would totally get slaughtered if I did that.

That's the advantage of having one's own house... and in my case, not being married.

Allegedly my house has three bedrooms and a dining room. All I know is there are two bedrooms, one for me and one for the roomy, and two home offices, again one for me and one for the roomy. Since I actually own the house, I get the home office with the door. :)

It's always nice to have a room with a door when fluxing your solder or cleaning your pipes. :lol:

AX

black dreamcast with matching controllers 3 VMU's for a cool 15.00

Plural? Very nice, are they actual sports black or astro?

AX

Sports black :sad:

No sad face, that's good. It's rare to find more than one actual sports black controller. They came with one IIRC. The only other actually black controllers that I know of were astropads like this:

Dcast-Orbitor.jpg

They are fairly crummy IMHO. The sega are much better.

AX

Got a spare AV cable for my 360 for $4, and a second complete, excellent condition copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles for $6.

I also spotted the ultimate form of Thrift Store Roulette today. Two Xbox 360s, marked $40 each, and 'as is', with the hard drives missing.

post-8107-129237867518_thumb.jpg

post-4103-129239689789_thumb.jpg

I bought the two Blu-Ray's from the Barnes & Noble website for about $9 shipped, for both.

The three games were bought at the local record store for:

NES Maniac Mansion

SNES Final Fantasy III

DS Animal Crossing: Wild World (only bought so my son could see what they had in their town, LOL)

BLU-RAY Pursuit of Happyness

BLU-RAY Paul Blart Mall Cop

I think I overspent a bit at around $35 for everything.

Lets see, in the last week I got:

Atari 7800 Pro System with 1 controller and 3 7800 games

ColecoVision 2 standard controllers and 6 games and Expansion Module 1

Virtual Boy with power pack and 7 games

12 random PS2 games

10 NES games

CIB Wonder Boy III Dragon's Trap for SMS

CIB Alien Syndrom for SMS

Total invested.... $150

I've had a long dry spell finding things in local thrift stores, but thanks to one good week I can say the year was a total win. The Virtual Boy isn't working 100% but I got it free with the other stuff. Everything else is working perfectly. I'll have to get a list of the actual games I got too, some of them were greats.

EDIT:

I should point out I hit something like 30 thirft stores over 12 hours yesterday. So this has all come with a pile of work, but the price is just $3.75 a game on average with the consoles there to make the package a great deal.

Edited by HatefulGravey

black dreamcast with matching controllers 3 VMU's for a cool 15.00

Plural? Very nice, are they actual sports black or astro?

AX

Sports black :sad:

No sad face, that's good. It's rare to find more than one actual sports black controller. They came with one IIRC. The only other actually black controllers that I know of were astropads like this:

Dcast-Orbitor.jpg

They are fairly crummy IMHO. The sega are much better.

AX

Those controllers blew the controller fuse on my DC. DO NOT USE THEM.

So..this is more of a cheap find and fix than a thrift find but here goes. I found a Wii (console, power brick & motion sensor) on my local Bargain Barn site for $50. It had a busted eject button and scratches everywhere so I talked them down to $25 for it. I spent .99 on a pack of replacement buttons and soldered a new one in place. Wii is now fixed. I spent $5 shipped for a cream and gold replacement shell, $12 shipped for 2 classic pro controllers and a fellow member here (Thanks, Kevincal!) hooked me up with a Wii remote and nunchuck for super cheap too. My total investment is under $65 and my wallet couldn't be happier. lol I'll give him my old Wii box, stand, a/v cables (I use component) and Wii Sports disc along with it. This kid's gonna flip his wig on Christmas morning.

Edited by GregadetH

Found an Atari 400/800 game Track And Field at a gaming store.They wanted $25.00, which i passed on.Twenty five dollars is a little steep for that IMO.Lucky i did pass on it.When i got home i realized i already had it! :lol: