IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Here's a good reason for never taking a break on finding stuff:

Today I only nothing to do, and only 6 bucks to spare. I walked around my neighborhood, smoking a cigarette, and decided to stop in at my overpriced, severely picked-through local thrift store, just to tickle my collecting bug.

I have seen their stock a million times, but today I decided to dig a little deeper, take my time looking at every box, in every box, at every item. I pulled a box down from a hard to reach top shelf (always do this if possible) and lo and behold, there was a plastic tub completely hidden from view, behind the box I had pulled down. Clearly visible through the clear plastic were multiple big box Playstation 1 games and even an old, dusty-looking original Playstation.

The tub itself had a price sticker on it saying $39.99, but I opened it up and dug through it. A few wrestling games and a FFIX Disc 1 only had individual labels on them, for .25 cents, so I snagged them and six of the delightful Longbox PS1 games and brought them up to the counter.

I explained to the guy that I had found these games together, and that some were labeled .25 cents, some had no labels at all. He told me that the .25 cent labels were wrong (making my heart sink momentarily), but that each game was $1.99, and they were having a half off sale today. At a dollar a piece, (and he threw in the FFIX Disc 1 for Christmas), I grabbed:

Longbox Battle Arena Toshinden

Longbox Williams Arcade's Greatest hits

Longbox Ridge Racer

Longbox Wipeout

Longbox Doom

Longbox Resident Evil

...and he put the wresting games back for me. What a nice guy. What a great start to the day.

Here's a good reason for never taking a break on finding stuff:

Today I only nothing to do, and only 6 bucks to spare. I walked around my neighborhood, smoking a cigarette, and decided to stop in at my overpriced, severely picked-through local thrift store, just to tickle my collecting bug.

I have seen their stock a million times, but today I decided to dig a little deeper, take my time looking at every box, in every box, at every item. I pulled a box down from a hard to reach top shelf (always do this if possible) and lo and behold, there was a plastic tub completely hidden from view, behind the box I had pulled down. Clearly visible through the clear plastic were multiple big box Playstation 1 games and even an old, dusty-looking original Playstation.

The tub itself had a price sticker on it saying $39.99, but I opened it up and dug through it. A few wrestling games and a FFIX Disc 1 only had individual labels on them, for .25 cents, so I snagged them and six of the delightful Longbox PS1 games and brought them up to the counter.

I explained to the guy that I had found these games together, and that some were labeled .25 cents, some had no labels at all. He told me that the .25 cent labels were wrong (making my heart sink momentarily), but that each game was $1.99, and they were having a half off sale today. At a dollar a piece, (and he threw in the FFIX Disc 1 for Christmas), I grabbed:

Longbox Battle Arena Toshinden

Longbox Williams Arcade's Greatest hits

Longbox Ridge Racer

Longbox Wipeout

Longbox Doom

Longbox Resident Evil

...and he put the wresting games back for me. What a nice guy. What a great start to the day.

Nice score, I've been looking for a Doom and know they are getting up there. Didn't know about Williams AGH in long box. :thumbsup:

AX

Nice score, I've been looking for a Doom and know they are getting up there. Didn't know about Williams AGH in long box. :thumbsup:

AX

I've got the Williams AGH longbox version myself. My only real gripe with the longbox games is that they literally do not fit in with the vast majority of PS1 releases.

(Maybe I should rectify that in my collection if I see the Williams AGH in the jewel case release.)

Friend gave me a Fairchild Channel F System II with box, two controllers, two controllers that look like Video Command sticks with second buttons, Videocart 1, 23, 8, 5, and Alien Invasion. He picked it up at the goodwill he works at for five bucks. I mean.. damn, I know it needs refurbishment.. but damn..

Friend gave me a Fairchild Channel F System II with box, two controllers, two controllers that look like Video Command sticks with second buttons, Videocart 1, 23, 8, 5, and Alien Invasion. He picked it up at the goodwill he works at for five bucks. I mean.. damn, I know it needs refurbishment.. but damn..

Nice score!!!!

I know, right?? Thing is the controllers need serious work, and I have no idea what the ones with a red button go to.

Do they say Command Control on the side, but other than the button visually the same as Channel F? If so they are made by Fairchild for use on Atari and other compatible. The Channel F controllers you push down the "thumbstick" for fire action, right?

Hello all and Merry Christmas!

Stopped by a local game store this weekend and pulled in this nice little bundle for $2.00 each:

F-18 Hornet Absolute 7800

Tomcat F-14 Absolute 7800

Coconuts Telesys 2600

Racquetball Apollo 2600

Bank Heist 20th C Fox 2600

Beany Bopper 20th C Fox 2600

Flash Gordon 20th C Fox 2600

Turmoil 20th C Fox 2600

Not quite "retro" yet, but very cool; I got two original "Bondi Blue" IMacs for free. I havent looked into what the internals are yet, they are both apparently functional, one running OS 10, the other 9.2.2. Both have the disc slot, not the tray, so not real early ones. I got some mismatched KB and mice, so I will be on the lookout for the correct color ones. I remember saying when they came out that I would buy one someday when the price came down, so mission accomplished!!

post-26465-129286708203_thumb.jpg

Not quite "retro" yet, but very cool; I got two original "Bondi Blue" IMacs for free. I havent looked into what the internals are yet, they are both apparently functional, one running OS 10, the other 9.2.2. Both have the disc slot, not the tray, so not real early ones. I got some mismatched KB and mice, so I will be on the lookout for the correct color ones. I remember saying when they came out that I would buy one someday when the price came down, so mission accomplished!!

Oh yeah! I got one of these for $7 because the thrift thought it was a child's TV set. I got the deep red one which was their DV version for editing video. I can't bear to get rid of it!

Finds_122110.jpg

I recently discovered that I no longer had a copy of Gunstar Heroes. I must have sold it off during one of my great purges, and I was really kicking myself for doing so, since it is one of the better Genesis games and is generally coveted by collectors. Just this morning I was looking over my Genesis collection lamenting the fact that it was missing Gunstar Heroes. Well what should I find today at the store, priced at a measly $3? Uh-huh. CIB, too.

Also got a Game Boy Pocket that looks to have been adult owned and never used. Screen is pristine. Even had batteries in it that still work. $5

Buy a new Game Boy, you have to buy a new Game Boy game, right? Boxxle, $3.

Art of Fighting for SNES was $4. I don't know if it's any good, but I usually see nothing but sports titles for the SNES at the stores I frequent, so I grabbed this when I saw it.

Not pictured, I also bought ESPN NFL 2k5 for the XBox for $4. According to the Video Game Critic, it's the best football game of the modern era, so I have to check it out. I had it for PS2 and liked it a lot, but apparently this one is even better.

Chris

The sticker on Gunstar Heroes looks like the same price stickers from one of the places I frequent. Do you live in Arizona, Jibbajaba?

It looks like a label from a Dyno label/Writer Duo

Oh yeah, I should have thought it's probably some sort of universal retail type thing that is used numerous places. Well, I was just curious. I realize that you don't have where you're from so disregard that request, it's not cool of me to be asking where you live Jibbajaba.

All good, thanks guys! :)

The sticker on Gunstar Heroes looks like the same price stickers from one of the places I frequent. Do you live in Arizona, Jibbajaba?

I once asked you the same thing. I think that the store that I frequent up here in northern California uses the same software and label printer as a store that you go to.

Chris

They use the same labels up here in Maine at a place called Bullmoose Music. I get a lot of good games there. But, um...their selection stinks now....almost all sports games....yeah, don't bother checking it out yourself...you won't find a thing....

;)

I got a viral negative once from them years ago. They bought my item on Azon, got it quickly and delivered as promised. negative feedback 1 star "Price too high, next time I'll use Bullmoose Music." Azon doesn't remove negs for any reason. Since then I cringe when I hear the name.

AX

They use the same labels up here in Maine at a place called Bullmoose Music. I get a lot of good games there. But, um...their selection stinks now....almost all sports games....yeah, don't bother checking it out yourself...you won't find a thing....

;)

I got a viral negative once from them years ago. They bought my item on Azon, got it quickly and delivered as promised. negative feedback 1 star "Price too high, next time I'll use Bullmoose Music." Azon doesn't remove negs for any reason. Since then I cringe when I hear the name.

AX

That's terrible! They seem so mellow, tattooed and pierced, and a couple of them are total honeys.....but that's just such a crappy thing to do to someone....

well, for what it's worth, I'd still buy from you.

;)

AX

That's terrible! They seem so mellow, tattooed and pierced, and a couple of them are total honeys.....but that's just such a crappy thing to do to someone....

well, for what it's worth, I'd still buy from you.

I'm sure that like any large establishment employing teens to 20-somethings there are periodic idiots in the name of their employer. :|

AX

CIMG1746.jpg

Last couple of days at the thrifts...

PS1:

Devil Dice-$2.99

Courier Crisis-$3.99

Mortal Kombat Trilogy-$1

Tekken-$4.99

Kileak-$4.99

Tetris Plus-$1

Um Jammer Lammy-$3.99

Tiny Toon Plucky's Big Adventure-$2.99

Dino Crisis 2-$3.99

Galaga Destination Earth-$1.99

PS2 Basara 2 (Japanese)-$3.99

Naruto computer speaker-$1.50

Also found disc-less copies of PS1 Clock Tower and GameCube Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. Very frustrating...I've found too many empty PS1 cases lately.