IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well, that's more like it, 2 great weekends in a row! Had a gorgeous Saturday and a lot of sales to hit and did pretty good. Granted not "sealed Promotional Use Only 2600 system" good, but still pretty good. Everythings been tested and works!

In no particular order:

Platinum Gamecube system in box but no controller - has Digital Video Connector - $5 - Been looking for a Platinum with DV, I like the way the silver case looks, okay? :P

PS2 fat with power cord and AV cord, no controller - $3 - might bundle this up with a bunch of extra PS2 stuff I have and off to CL.

Sega Saturn system with Rental Suitcase, all cords, 2 controllers, Memory Card Plus, Rampage CIB - $20 - talked him down from $25, power connector is loose, have to open it up and see what's what.

TG16 loose games - Pac-Land and Victory Run - $5 each

Super Mario Galaxy "Free Commemorative Coin" -it was, well Free - Was in a box of Free stuff, so I nabbed it!

Nintendo Power N64 Launch VHS Video - $.50

Vintage Coleco Donkey Kong table top machine - $10 - A nice one too, an upgrade to the one I have already.

Discgear Selector 100 disc cataloger - $3 - love these things, have 4 or 5 already, great for TV series dvd sets.

Ipod 3rd Generation 20 gig - with box, charger and dock. $5 - works great! Battery might need to be replaced, but even as is, looks like it will run 4-5 hours on a charge, which isn't bad considering. Actually came with a replacement battery kit too! I think the guy didn't want to bother. Fun thing about buying used Ipods is going through the music they have on them, and there are programs to extract them.

Wolfard 6" glass oil lamp with base - $2 - I just think these are pretty cool, and $2 was too good to pass up. Hell, the retail on the set is something like $80!

post-12780-0-78295900-1309223696_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-69772600-1309223721_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-35580500-1309223745_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-70210400-1309223754_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-08788400-1309223762_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-65568100-1309223776_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-37380900-1309223781_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-55668900-1309223788_thumb.jpg

post-12780-0-48269500-1309223837_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sega Saturn system with Rental Suitcase, all cords, 2 controllers, Memory Card Plus, Rampage CIB - $20 - talked him down from $25, power connector is loose, have to open it up and see what's what.

Careful when you fix that power. If it is broken plastic, then it is one of the systems suffering from the poor Sega design. They had many versions, but I'd see this plenty. The first mistake that people do to fix this is to put longer screws in to hold it. There is usually a missing screw or both. However, they put the fuse pins really really close to the pins coming in on that power jack. The minute you plug the unit in, just from the pressure of the push connecting the cord to the unit the screw tip (even though you may have selected one short enough that isn't touching the fuse pin when you are done with the repair) will flex enough to touch the fuse and blow out the power board. I've found the best fix to be nail polish and sculpting epoxy stick. You paint the metal with the nail polish to give it a non-conductive coating, let dry. Then using the kneading epoxy putty stick make an abc gum size ball and force it into the spaces between the back of the power and the fuse. Tap short screws into the epoxy before it dries to give it a finished look from the exterior. Let dry fully before testing.

Hope this helps.

AX

Finally got around to posting pics from my trip over to DJPubba's liquidation sale over in SF. I didn't get there until 3 days after he posted, and I was still the first guy on-scene. You guys really missed the boat, because I grabbed a lot of good stuff, but left all kinds of awesome goodies behind. After I was there, someone else rolled up and bought out his entire garage from him. In retrospect, I wish I had grabbed a few more things but I am very happy with what I got because it was all stuff that I was actively looking for.

IMG_4546.JPG

X360 - Crackdown CIB

Famicom - Super Mario Bros USA CIB

Lynx - Robotron

Lynx - Gates of Zendocon

Lynx - Joust

Lynx - Super Skweek

PSX - Crash Bandicoot CIB

IMG_4547.JPG

3 Issues of Diehard Gamefan, including issue #2

Hardcore Gamer #1

PSX Lunar SSSC Strategy Guide

Wild Arms Strategy Guide

Resident Evil 3 Strategy Guide

IMG_4548.JPG

Atari Jaguar with all hookups (AC adapter and AV cables not pictured), Tempest 2000, and Atari-branded RGB cable.

IMG_4549.JPG

Neo Geo Pocket Color in pristine condition with Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug 1st Mission, Metal Slug 2nd Mission, Pac-Man, Bust-A-Move Pocket, Puzzle Bobble Mini, and Baseball Stars.

IMG_4550.JPG

Sega 32X with model 1 cable adapter, RGB cable, and AC adapter (not pictured.)

PSX Link Cable

IMG_4553.JPG

PCE - Power League IV

PCE - Cyber Core

PCE - Maniac Pro Wrestling

PCE/TG16 - 64 Mb Neo-Flash cart with cart loader

Turbo Duo controller

Price? $200 for everything.

Chris

Careful when you fix that power. If it is broken plastic, then it is one of the systems suffering from the poor Sega design. They had many versions, but I'd see this plenty. The first mistake that people do to fix this is to put longer screws in to hold it. There is usually a missing screw or both. However, they put the fuse pins really really close to the pins coming in on that power jack. The minute you plug the unit in, just from the pressure of the push connecting the cord to the unit the screw tip (even though you may have selected one short enough that isn't touching the fuse pin when you are done with the repair) will flex enough to touch the fuse and blow out the power board. I've found the best fix to be nail polish and sculpting epoxy stick. You paint the metal with the nail polish to give it a non-conductive coating, let dry. Then using the kneading epoxy putty stick make an abc gum size ball and force it into the spaces between the back of the power and the fuse. Tap short screws into the epoxy before it dries to give it a finished look from the exterior. Let dry fully before testing.

Hope this helps.

AX

Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Kids! Sorry I havent been around lately, it's been crazy busy. But I do have a couple big hauls to brag ab discuss here. I got a great garage sale lot for $40 that included the following:

- Two toaster NES; they work but both need 72 pin connector love. One is cosmetically very nice which is cool; as much as I love my top loader, I miss the old fashioned toaster.

- An SNES with Super Mario All-stars - neither controller worked other than the start button, very strange. worked great with my other controllers.

- Big basket of NES games - about 18 common games, plus:

post-26465-0-74099200-1309405259_thumb.jpg

Boxed Kirby's Adventure and DuckTales (one of my faves), Trolls on Treasure Island w/ manual & Rainbow Islands

post-26465-0-46220500-1309405393_thumb.jpg

Felix the Cat, Contra, Tengen Pac-Man, Adventure Island 3 (1&2 were in the lot as well)

And the coup' de gras.........

post-26465-0-13408900-1309405521_thumb.jpg

Bubble Bobble Part 2

Yes I will be selling some of this, and yes, I will use the money to buy a decent camera (this one fell into a tidepool last summer)

Don't normally post to these threads, but the SNES haul recently has been too good not to brag a little. Got the loose carts today, all for $6, and the complete boxed carts a couple of days ago for $2 each. Not really into RPG's, but I might have to give some of these a try...

SNES loose:

Earthbound

Super Mario RPG

The 7th Saga

Super Mario World

Zelda: Link to the Past

Darius Twin

CIB:

Chrono Trigger

FF III

Chrono Trigger CIB for $2 is quite a find as well. Was this Craigslist or a yard sale? Do tell.

Don't normally post to these threads, but the SNES haul recently has been too good not to brag a little. Got the loose carts today, all for $6, and the complete boxed carts a couple of days ago for $2 each. Not really into RPG's, but I might have to give some of these a try...

SNES loose:

Earthbound

Super Mario RPG

The 7th Saga

Super Mario World

Zelda: Link to the Past

Darius Twin

CIB:

Chrono Trigger

FF III

Chrono Trigger CIB for $2 is quite a find as well. Was this Craigslist or a yard sale? Do tell.

The loose carts all came from one thrift store, and the CIBs all came from another thrift store. By the way, I got a copy of Ballistic for the Nuon at that second thrift store just a couple of days ago. Not much of a scroe, but I never thought I would find a Nuon game at a thrift store.

Trolls on Treasure Island

Rainbow Islands

Felix the Cat

Adventure Island 3

Bubble Bobble Part 2

That's like 25% of my NES missing list right there. You are "Some guy" today, jerk.

Well, considering you are on opposite sides of the country, I don't think you can really say that he beat you to them. "Some guy" is always the guy you see in front of you in line at Goodwill with the armload of games, or when you ask if they have games at a yard sale, they say they just sold them. icon_wink.gif

Was walking around the Alpine Village Swap Meet yesterday when my eyes were caught by a PlayStation console with RCA jacks on the back. Further inspection revealed...

CIMG2336.jpg

It's a model #3500, and forgiving my ignorance, will a US power supply work on it? Also picked up and Hollywood Video Xbox Panzer Dragoon Orta Demo Disc at the swap. A bit beaten but only $1.

CIMG2344.jpg

CIMG2338.jpg

NHL Open Ice and Vampire Hunter D were $5.99 Goodwill finds from yesterday. UFC was $3.99 at a different Goodwill today. Devil Dice, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Parappa were $2.99 Salvation Army pickups today. The lack of a SPF2T manual was balanced by the presence of the Parappa poster, which looks like it's hardly been touched. The Final Fantasy tribute CD was found at the same Sally; more info on that one here.

CIMG2337.jpg

From an Out of the Closet thrift: GC Super Smash Bros. Melee was $7 and a sealed Wii Samba de Amigo was $5. 3 sealed copies of The Joker's Wild! (Joker, Joker and a Triple!) for the CDi were $2 each.

Was walking around the Alpine Village Swap Meet yesterday when my eyes were caught by a PlayStation console with RCA jacks on the back. Further inspection revealed...

CIMG2336.jpg

It's a model #3500, and forgiving my ignorance, will a US power supply work on it? Also picked up and Hollywood Video Xbox Panzer Dragoon Orta Demo Disc at the swap. A bit beaten but only $1.

CIMG2344.jpg

CIMG2338.jpg

NHL Open Ice and Vampire Hunter D were $5.99 Goodwill finds from yesterday. UFC was $3.99 at a different Goodwill today. Devil Dice, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Parappa were $2.99 Salvation Army pickups today. The lack of a SPF2T manual was balanced by the presence of the Parappa poster, which looks like it's hardly been touched. The Final Fantasy tribute CD was found at the same Sally; more info on that one here.

CIMG2337.jpg

From an Out of the Closet thrift: GC Super Smash Bros. Melee was $7 and a sealed Wii Samba de Amigo was $5. 3 sealed copies of The Joker's Wild! (Joker, Joker and a Triple!) for the CDi were $2 each.

Nope, needs a special power supply. It may be cheaper to rig it if you plan to keep it for use. There are a good deal of great imports for PSX.

AX

Yard sales are pathetic around here. Since I'm broke I've not been going much this year. But today, was special. I had a few dollar bills on me for a change and had to go to the dump with a dishwasher early (7am). Not much cash on me but I thought I'd at least try. Hit six sales. At the first sale an inbred group of man faced women that were straight out of a banjo pickin' movie, had LOTS of game stuff. Two N64 decks, a pile of NES carts, Sega Genesis controllers and video cord, other misc. When asked about pricing, they had no clue. They had to call a guy on the phone to ask. The guy on the phone didn't know what they were even talking about. After 10 minutes of an old woman yelling at the phone and describing the items, the telephone connection dropped and she told me she can't sell anything without Paw approving the price. They called him back, yelled LOUDLY some more. They ended up wanting $6 for the Sega controllers, $20 each for the N64 decks (no cords, but had controllers) and various prices for the games $4 - $5 each. But Paw only wants to sell it all together. I was there waiting for a price for 15 minutes, and no deal. I wanted two things for a buck each. No deal. The next sale had a Strawberry Shortcake Ps2 (only game) for $2. It was very scratched, and I figured it was worth a buck if it could be buffed. My younger daughter would have liked it. So I asked, "would you take a dollar" didn't mention the scratching. May have consider the two, but I got barked at from my simply asking... "No sir" the lady says. "It's marked $2, that's the price!" So on to the next sale. As freakish as it is to hit games at three in a row, yet again I hit games. This time 360 titles. All older stuff, Banjo Nuts n Bolts, GTA, and several sports titles. Marked $15 each. Yikes! The next three sales didn't have any game items. So I went home empty handed.

AX

Yard sales are pathetic around here. Since I'm broke I've not been going much this year. But today, was special. I had a few dollar bills on me for a change and had to go to the dump with a dishwasher early (7am). Not much cash on me but I thought I'd at least try. Hit six sales. At the first sale an inbred group of man faced women that were straight out of a banjo pickin' movie, had LOTS of game stuff. Two N64 decks, a pile of NES carts, Sega Genesis controllers and video cord, other misc. When asked about pricing, they had no clue. They had to call a guy on the phone to ask. The guy on the phone didn't know what they were even talking about. After 10 minutes of an old woman yelling at the phone and describing the items, the telephone connection dropped and she told me she can't sell anything without Paw approving the price. They called him back, yelled LOUDLY some more. They ended up wanting $6 for the Sega controllers, $20 each for the N64 decks (no cords, but had controllers) and various prices for the games $4 - $5 each. But Paw only wants to sell it all together. I was there waiting for a price for 15 minutes, and no deal. I wanted two things for a buck each. No deal. The next sale had a Strawberry Shortcake Ps2 (only game) for $2. It was very scratched, and I figured it was worth a buck if it could be buffed. My younger daughter would have liked it. So I asked, "would you take a dollar" didn't mention the scratching. May have consider the two, but I got barked at from my simply asking... "No sir" the lady says. "It's marked $2, that's the price!" So on to the next sale. As freakish as it is to hit games at three in a row, yet again I hit games. This time 360 titles. All older stuff, Banjo Nuts n Bolts, GTA, and several sports titles. Marked $15 each. Yikes! The next three sales didn't have any game items. So I went home empty handed.

AX

...and there they sit at the end of it all, no cash in hand, saying "gawlee, everbody wants somethin for nuthin!" If you lived closer I would let you come to my house, rifle through my shit and buy something real cheap.

Not a thrift find but thought this place would be appropriate enough. The girl I've been dating for the last few months told me she is going to give me the following SNES games when she comes back from staying with her parents for the summer as she hasn't played them in years and has no real interest in playing them again, some are CiB(not sure which). Very nice of her. :)

Mr. Do

The Legend of the Mystic Ninja

Final Fight

Championship Pool

Liberty or Death

The Ignition Factor

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Super Off Road

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Bonkers

I should do a special mention however. Last night while passing the exit for play n trade I couldn't resist because I had some scratched games in the car and they give three free buffs per visit. For $9.86 I got Complete Ridge Racer 4 for PS1, Complete Gun Valkyrie for XBOX, and Wallace and Gromit in case (no manual) for Xbox. That's about $3.28 per game. All discs perfect. Sad that a chain store is better than a load of yard sales.

AX

Good to see your dating situation seems to be working out Mr. Loco. That's a very decent girlfriend SNES haul, but it doesn't top mine... When I married my wife she came with Sim city, Super Street fighter 2, DKC, and AERO FIGHTERS. She's since bought earthbound. Maybe technically they are hers still but she has not touched or mentioned them in years and they are very cozy in my collection. Got me musha for christmas and a stout hauberk of goode maille for the day of my birthe as well. She WOULD have come with chrono trigger, if she'd "forgotten to return it" in revenge for her first BF dumping her, like I advised her to so many years ago. haha. (he just stopped talking to her one day with no explanation after two years together). Anyway, girls, in my limited experience, usually are a package deal with some decent SNES games. I might date a girl that came with GEN titles if I was single, or some good NES ones, but I wouldn't go SMS or anything lower, unless she was like really cool and pretty and such.

Anyway, I just went to a yardsale and a woman loudly demanded five dollars for a box of old socks. The guy attempting to buy was like "how about a quarter a pair" and she said "DOLLAR A PAIR!", which would actually have been more than five dollars. I said "Five dollar box o' socks? I'm gone!" and walked off. You know who throws a good yard sale? Older paired homosexuals. They often live tastefully and sell cheaply. Three dollar humidors, twenty-buck antique chairs and the like.

I should do a special mention however. Last night while passing the exit for play n trade I couldn't resist because I had some scratched games in the car and they give three free buffs per visit. For $9.86 I got Complete Ridge Racer 4 for PS1, Complete Gun Valkyrie for XBOX, and Wallace and Gromit in case (no manual) for Xbox. That's about $3.28 per game. All discs perfect. Sad that a chain store is better than a load of yard sales.

AX

Can I trade one of the seven Game Stops in my square mile living space for a play n trade? I had never even heard of them until I joined here. icon_ponder.gif