IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Dunno if this qualifies as 'thrift store' material, but I got 250 plus CIB SNES games along with 20-25 carts, Two NES systems, and a handful of NES carts for all of nothing. Among them I got Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania IV, Lufia's one and two, all CiB. Best. Day. Ever. :cool:

Doesn't qualify as a thrift store find but it sure as hell qualifies as AWESOME!! :D

Congrats :)

Dunno if this qualifies as 'thrift store' material, but I got 250 plus CIB SNES games along with 20-25 carts, Two NES systems, and a handful of NES carts for all of nothing. Among them I got Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania IV, Lufia's one and two, all CiB. Best. Day. Ever. :cool:

I don't need pics as much as I need an explanation why and how I can duplicate your success. Did you burglarize a classic gaming store? I've done that a few times.

I don't need pics as much as I need an explanation why and how I can duplicate your success. Did you burglarize a classic gaming store? I've done that a few times.

Dumb luck, really. I happened to meet a nice old lady who cleared out a game rental store or somethin' in the late 90's who was looking to get rid of all the games. I was just in the right place at the right time.

24 for warriors? is it really worth that?

To me it is. :)

It's on par what I've seen them sell for in this condition factoring in shipping.

Great game. I got mine off of ebay for under 10 shipped... but, then again, it supposedly had a ripped label. It showed up unripped and shiny, anyway. I love me some AD&D and sega genesis and they're two great flavors that... combine imperfectly, but with a certain compelling quality.

A friend called me up because he spotted a "box of Atari stuff" for $15. He said there was a console, some controllers, and about 30 games. I offered $20.

When I go to pick up the lot, I get:

7800 console (no power supply)

2 CX40 joysticks

25 games I already have, and 6 I don't

Marine Wars

Sub Scan

Threshold

China Syndrome

Bank Heist

Tomcat (7800)

A friend called me up because he spotted a "box of Atari stuff" for $15. He said there was a console, some controllers, and about 30 games. I offered $20.

When I go to pick up the lot, I get:

7800 console (no power supply)

2 CX40 joysticks

25 games I already have, and 6 I don't

Marine Wars

Sub Scan

Threshold

China Syndrome

Bank Heist

Tomcat (7800)

Great deal. :thumbsup:

Dumb luck, really. I happened to meet a nice old lady who cleared out a game rental store or somethin' in the late 90's who was looking to get rid of all the games. I was just in the right place at the right time.

Well, I hope to hell you volunteered to mow her lawn or rub the corns on her feet or something.

And I still want to see pics on this. :D

Another disappointing day for me. Hit a lot of sales too. Saw the usual of PSX systems, some GBA and DS stuff, few odds and ends but nothing I needed, wanted, or could sell for profit. One guy had a sack with a Yobo NES clone and a bunch of loose games, but he wanted $50 for the lot, and it was all pretty gross and nicotine stained, so I passed. I should have counter offered I suppose, there was some good games there. :ponder:

Only game related find I went home with was a loose copy of Gunstar Heroes I got for only $2.99 at Goodwill. Not too shabby, and I actually didn't have it already. :thumbsup:

As usual, we also had some non-gaming finds, wife always get something clothing related, I got a cheap pair of saw horses, a few $.50-$1.00 CDs, stuff like that.

Well, I hope to hell you volunteered to mow her lawn or rub the corns on her feet or something.

And I still want to see pics on this. :D

She said I did her a huge favor in taking the games, and she told me not to worry when I offered to mow her lawn or do something to repay her. I tried... :ponder:

The pictures are a few posts back. They're there! :D

In terms of buying video games, today was pretty dismal. The only thing I picked up was Ecco the Dolphin CIB for $2.00. Most places either had nothing, had already sold what they had to Some GuyTM, or had something "in storage" and took my number (but I expect it'll be umpteen copies of Combat, Super Mario Bros., and Pokemon -- if they even call back at all).

However, at the very last place we went to, I asked about old video games and the guy (an older fella) said "Well, we do have something, but I don't think you can afford it." Turned out he had a full-size, excellent-condition Fire Truck cabinet in his living room! :lust: He and his wife were kind enough to invite me and my girlfriend in for a game.

A great way to end the day! What's one of those worth, around $1000? More? They had the service manual too -- I should have asked how they came by it. He was absolutely right that I couldn't afford it (and I have no place to put it!), but I guess his grandchildren still play it all the time, so it's getting plenty of love.

(BTW I did get some decent non-game stuff today...a bunch of cables for free, a couple guitar pedals for $10, a 1970s vinyl single for $0.25, a Case Logic 240-CD case for $3.00, and a big hardcover book on modern art for $2.00.)

Edited by thegoldenband

24 for warriors? is it really worth that?

To me it is. :)

It's on par what I've seen them sell for in this condition factoring in shipping.

Great game. I got mine off of ebay for under 10 shipped... but, then again, it supposedly had a ripped label. It showed up unripped and shiny, anyway. I love me some AD&D and sega genesis and they're two great flavors that... combine imperfectly, but with a certain compelling quality.

You got a good deal. It's nice when they show up better than advertised or expected. :-)

Today was a nice productive trip to a couple of local fleas.

1st place I picked up Tetris Plus CIB for the Playstation, $2.00.

Also got God of War, Risk, and Hereos of the Pacific for the PS2, $5 for the lot.

Finally found Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge for $2.00.

2nd place I bought a box full of Genesis "stuff" for $5.00. It has 8 common games, a 6 button controller, two 3 controllers, and a 6 button turbo controller. Also in the box is 3 power supplies, and one video cable.

The best deal of the day was an Intellivision II with six games for $5.00 No power supply of video cable but thaose are plentiful.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Today was the first time I've hit a flea market in over a year. No big deals. if anyone was an N64 fan, you would have had a field day as there was stuff everywhere from multiple vendors. Alas, I have no interest in the system.

Our Dreamcast's controller board died. I could fix that, but I don't have the time or interest, so I went to get a replacement. Got one for $25.00 with hook ups and controllers (not that I needed those). As an added bonus, I picked up a 5200 controller ($2). All it needed was a clean up of the flex circuit and aluminum foil dots, and all of the buttons work and the pots seem to be fine. Finally have two working controllers.

There was a boxed 5200 there with two working controllers and two for parts. There were about 8-10 common games. It was one of the permanent vendors inside. He was asking for $100 for it. That seems a bit steep to me, but it isn't easy finding one with working controllers with the console and box in decent shape. If you are in the Pittsburgh area, it is at Trader Jack's. Might be a decent starter system for someone and as an fyi, everything I have bought from him in the past has worked.

sm7mgi.jpg

These weren't thrift, but they were extremely cheap. Most of the games are new/sealed for $4.97 at the military market (tax free icon_mrgreen.gif), they were having some crazy discounts. The ones that were more than five bucks were: portal 2 ($60), fear 3, fear 2 ($40 for both)

Every time I go to garage sales I try to strike up some conversation to see if they might have some games in the basement and most people say they will call me back because they might have something and they never EVER do. Well I finally had someone call me back after 3 months saying they have "some Intellivision stuff" and this is what I scored for FREE!!

post-22364-0-76521600-1310357264_thumb.jpg

post-22364-0-73174500-1310357548_thumb.jpg

post-22364-0-53153500-1310357658_thumb.jpg

Not pictured are boxed copies of Astrosmash and Armor Battle that needed to be wet pressed to straighten them back out.

Also not pictured are countless game manuals from N64, NES, Gameboy and GBA, power supplies for the NES, Model 2 Genesis, Gameboy and Gamecube, and a Genesis 3 button controller.

hey, actraiser. we were just talking about that game.

1. What's the konami GB game?

2. What's the forgotten realms thing, a handkerchief map? What's it from, and what's it worth?

1. Mystical Ninja

2. Some sort of map from a game called Icewind Dale and in good condition it's worth $10.

IMGP2514.jpg?t=1242011019

hey, actraiser. we were just talking about that game.

1. What's the konami GB game?

2. What's the forgotten realms thing, a handkerchief map? What's it from, and what's it worth?

1. Mystical Ninja

2. Some sort of map from a game called Icewind Dale and in good condition it's worth $10.

IMGP2514.jpg?t=1242011019

Wow, really? A few years back they had these at the local Dollar Deals (6 years) for a buck. If they sell for $10 now, I wish I had hung on to a few. I was buying them up and selling to EB Shames/GamePlop for $3.60 store credit.

AX