IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I originally missed the Guitar Hero craze because I was one of those "buy a real guitar" snobs. Rock Band, which originally lured me in with drums and singing, set me straight. XKCD helped.

So, given that the original Guitar Hero was developed by the guys now responsible for the Rock Band series, I've kind of wanted to go back and try the first one, to see how much of the magic was there at the beginning. I got that chance this weekend when I found one of the original PS2 guitar controllers at Goodwill for five bucks, and the game at GameStop for another five bucks. Music controllers are notorious for being short-lived, but apparently those first guitars were built like tanks. This one worked like a charm.

I definitely prefer having several hundred songs to choose from instead of just 35, and some of the "as made famous by" covers are rather laughable, but yeah, the magic was there. I can see why this thing became a massive hit. It's just a shame that Activision had to run the franchise in the ground and give the entire genre a black eye. Whatever happens, though, the games will always have my love.

I also found a Wii Rock Band guitar that I scavenged for parts to fix my broken 360 guitar. Sorry, Wii owners. :)

I also saw an amusing piece of console history that I would have bought had Goodwill not slapped such a ridiculous price on it: the HD DVD player for the XBox 360. Goodwill wanted $25.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Found a bag of 14 2600 games at Goodwill for $4.89

Games were: Defender, Home Run, Asteroids, Football, Combat, Donkey Kong, Dodge Em, Surround, Video Olympics, Street Racer, Berzerk, Demons to Diamonds, Spiderman, and Bugs.

Only nedded the last three, but if I bought them seperately it would have cost $7.50 for the 3. So I will just trade the rest in at the game store.

post-27726-0-49297400-1314046250_thumb.jpg

Not really a thrift find but on vacation I visited my parents who still live in the home I grew up in and I raided their storage. Found the following:

-CIB NES (the system worked at first but now can't get it to work :( )

-boxed SNES (system is heavily yellowed and box has a tear)

-boxed Dreamcast

-box for Super Scope (no Scope though)

-boxed Mario Paint for the SNES with game, mouse and mouse pad

-NES Max Pad

-Power Glove (no sensors though)

-Sega Genesis model 1 'High Definition Graphics' kind

I also stopped by some Retro game stores and picked up:

-Rebel Assault Sega CD CIB

-Dracula Sega CD CIB

$9 total

Edited by GKC

I've been looking for one of these for about 20 years since I had my original Coco collection - its the Pistol Grip Joystick for the Tandy Coco, and I believe also works for some of the other Tandy models like the 1000.

The funny thing, to me, is that I was going through some old photos over the weekend and I came across one with my wife playing Silpheed on the Coco 3 with this joystick and I remarked how I'd love to find one of these joysticks again. Wishes do come true - it was $2.99 at Value Village, just sitting with the rows of other crappy PC sticks. Needs some cleaning but it works great. Happy me :D

post-2493-0-49167700-1314053163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

CIMG2503.jpg

Official Spice GameCube controller, new in package-$9.99 at Goodwill.

CIMG2504.jpg

N64 Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda: Ocarina-$2 each at an Out of the Closet thrift. They also had a fat PS2 w/ hookups for $5 and a NES w/ SMB 1 & 2 and hookups for $10.50, which I found pretty amusing.

• Like 2

N64 Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda: Ocarina-$2 each at an Out of the Closet thrift. They also had a fat PS2 w/ hookups for $5 and a NES w/ SMB 1 & 2 and hookups for $10.50, which I found pretty amusing.

Nice, the only N64 games I find in thrifts are sports and wrestling games.

• Like 1

Found these while on delivery.

post-22364-0-61681800-1314233573_thumb.jpg

I was driving down a pretty messed up neighborhood when I saw the signs of someone getting evicted. I just glanced and happened to catch the controller ports of the Commodore 64 out of the corner of my eye. I went back and in the same box was that heavy-sixer. Also why do people do this when throwing out electronics? Not cool....

post-22364-0-88075300-1314233841_thumb.jpg

why'd you pass up the NES for ten bucks?

People don't know how easy a fix that cord is. They think that a 2600 is shot if it doesn't work right away, because they don't know how tough things used to be built before disk drives became part of the picture.

Another atari saved; you are today's hero

Yeah already replaced the cord and it works perfect. I didn't even clean the cartridge slot.

Need some help on this one. My friend found a sealed game, thats missing the artwork icon_confused.gif Anyone seen this before?

98zhub.jpg

2nis7yr.jpg

fa7jpt.jpg

I haven't seen it in person yet, but he swears up and down that the seal isn't broken anywhere. How could something like this slip past the quality check, be sold at a store, and remain sealed for all this time?

Edited by Itchy Koala

Found these while on delivery.

post-22364-0-61681800-1314233573_thumb.jpg

I was driving down a pretty messed up neighborhood when I saw the signs of someone getting evicted. I just glanced and happened to catch the controller ports of the Commodore 64 out of the corner of my eye. I went back and in the same box was that heavy-sixer. Also why do people do this when throwing out electronics? Not cool....

post-22364-0-88075300-1314233841_thumb.jpg

that looks like a light sixer to me... just saying

I went to neighbor's garage sale across the street from my house and bought a GBA game: March Of The Penguins (cart only), and 3 of the Pokemon cartoon GBA Video carts (cart only) for $1 each.

She had a Nintendo DSi (CIB), a little bag filled with GBA and DS game cart holders, extra stylus, a DS power adapter for the car, and CIB copy of Pokemon HeartGold version, all for $85. I passed on that. She said if I come back tomorrow, she will give me a better deal on it. I don't think I will get any money in time if its still there, and if I did, it would be just $30. I think she would say no to that price.

She was selling a ton of Naruto comic book & DVDs. Picked one DVD up for $2.

Yep turns out to be a light-sixer

Nothing wrong with a Light Sixer.

I've grown so used to the look already with my Heavy Sixer of the six silver switches, I won't think about having a four switch ever again. Somehow now the panel looks "incomplete" and "empty" on those, and that's with having grown up with one in the house.

Picked up a few grab bags at yard sales today.

1st one had:

PS1 with cords

2x PS1 Controllers

1/2 an easter egg

GBA Tony Hawk 2 Manual

Some XBOX thing

PS1 Memory card

Some Digital Satellite paper work

26 Games both PS1 and Dreamcast. The wife thinks she can beat me at Tekken 2 lawl

A Well used Dog squeaky town

GC/SNES/N64 A/V cord

All for $25. I have to admit I would have paid $25 for the squeaky toy :lust:

The other bag:

GC no cords

GBC Screen Magnifier

GBA to GC cord

PS1 A/V cord

Blackberry power cord.

$4

B

post-29567-0-13740700-1314458391_thumb.jpg

post-29567-0-64671200-1314458436_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigbee99

Picked up a few grab bags at yard sales today.

1st one had:

PS1 with cords

2x PS1 Controllers

1/2 an easter egg

GBA Tony Hawk 2 Manual

Some XBOX thing

PS1 Memory card

Some Digital Satellite paper work

26 Games both PS1 and Dreamcast. The wife thinks she can beat me at Tekken 2 lawl

A Well used Dog squeaky town

GC/SNES/N64 A/V cord

All for $25. I have to admit I would have paid $25 for the squeaky toy :lust:

The other bag:

GC no cords

GBC Screen Magnifier

GBA to GC cord

PS1 A/V cord

Blackberry power cord.

$4

B

Meh. The PS1 would not load a disc. Anyway. I bought it for the games. I have a PS1 :cool: The part in the middle of the CD "tray" that the disc kinda snap into was broken off. I found it in one of the disc cases though. I snapped it back on and it still would not load. I'll have to mess with it some other day.

B