IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well, it's been a bit since I have added anything to this thread. But here I am!

This weekend, my Fiancee and I went out Garage saling and happened to find an estate sale just as it opened. The sale was being run by one of those companies that sells estates when people go into retirement homes. There was a crowd already, but we decided to give it a go. The home was from the 60's and had a lot of vintage stereo equipment, but I didn't have a lot of hope to find anything. Well, I went down into the basement and on top of a huge console television were two very dusty piles that represented a great find.

The first was the following:

post-22224-0-24388700-1315169857_thumb.jpg

• Colecovision Game System
  • Expansion Module 2
    ---------
  • Turbo
  • Donkey Kong
  • Cosmic Avenger
  • Mouse Trap
  • Ladybug
  • Venture
  • Q-bert
  • Popeye

The Colecovision was dirty as heck, but when I cleaned it up, it looks and works like brand new. All the games come with the manuals, though no overlays. There were five extra manuals for which there were no games: Pepper 2, Centipede, Defender, Mr. Do and Zaxxon. This is my first colecovision. It looks fantastic and plays great. I'm sad that centiped and Zaxxon were missing, but hey, no complaints.

The second item was an Intellivision III system:

post-22224-0-71759700-1315170253_thumb.jpg

• Intellivision III System
  • Intellivoice in box
  • Three game cases (one not shown, used for the Coleco games)
  • 40 games with manuals AND overlays (!) including:

• Spacer Spartans
  • Bomb Squad
  • B17 Bomber
  • Burger Time
  • Tron Deadly Discs
  • Tron Maze-a-Tron
  • Donkey Kong
  • Demon Attack
  • Beauty and Beast
  • Microsurgeon

The Inty works fine, but the sound is a bit loud and messy. I'll probably look to trade the system itself and my duplicates with someone for Coleco games. The amazing part was that all the games came with manuals and overlays. There were two game manuals without games, Star Strike and Mission X.

So... How much did I pay for it all?

Together, they were labeled for $75.00. But, apparently they decided that everything would be %40 off. So, together I got everything for $43.00.

What a find eh?

• Like 1

Well, it's been a bit since I have added anything to this thread. But here I am!

This weekend, my Fiancee and I went out Garage saling and happened to find an estate sale just as it opened. The sale was being run by one of those companies that sells estates when people go into retirement homes. There was a crowd already, but we decided to give it a go. The home was from the 60's and had a lot of vintage stereo equipment, but I didn't have a lot of hope to find anything. Well, I went down into the basement and on top of a huge console television were two very dusty piles that represented a great find.

The first was the following:

post-22224-0-24388700-1315169857_thumb.jpg

• Colecovision Game System
  • Expansion Module 2
    ---------
  • Turbo
  • Donkey Kong
  • Cosmic Avenger
  • Mouse Trap
  • Ladybug
  • Venture
  • Q-bert
  • Popeye

The Colecovision was dirty as heck, but when I cleaned it up, it looks and works like brand new. All the games come with the manuals, though no overlays. There were five extra manuals for which there were no games: Pepper 2, Centipede, Defender, Mr. Do and Zaxxon. This is my first colecovision. It looks fantastic and plays great. I'm sad that centiped and Zaxxon were missing, but hey, no complaints.

The second item was an Intellivision III system:

post-22224-0-71759700-1315170253_thumb.jpg

• Intellivision III System
  • Intellivoice in box
  • Three game cases (one not shown, used for the Coleco games)
  • 40 games with manuals AND overlays (!) including:

• Spacer Spartans
  • Bomb Squad
  • B17 Bomber
  • Burger Time
  • Tron Deadly Discs
  • Tron Maze-a-Tron
  • Donkey Kong
  • Demon Attack
  • Beauty and Beast
  • Microsurgeon

The Inty works fine, but the sound is a bit loud and messy. I'll probably look to trade the system itself and my duplicates with someone for Coleco games. The amazing part was that all the games came with manuals and overlays. There were two game manuals without games, Star Strike and Mission X.

So... How much did I pay for it all?

Together, they were labeled for $75.00. But, apparently they decided that everything would be %40 off. So, together I got everything for $43.00.

What a find eh?

Wow, that was a great find!

Had to go to the Apple store today. No deals to be found in there! But on the way home, I passed a Flea Market. I just had to pull in. Most everyone had left but what ever. I picked up a couple of NES games for $4 each, a 32x with no cords for $5, and a EPYX 500XJ for $3.

$16 total

B

post-29567-0-76074500-1315184264_thumb.jpg

Scored pretty good today.

All of this for $32

post-22364-0-37802500-1315081755_thumb.jpg

post-22364-0-40272800-1315081787_thumb.jpg

$3

post-22364-0-36467900-1315083676_thumb.jpg

Also only $3

post-22364-0-70992400-1315083755_thumb.jpg

Dear Stich, I want my NES collection back!

yours sincerely,

Richard Ryan

LMAO. I'm actually going to call him later and see if he has any more games.

Once I looked up some jackass that wrote his name all over his NES. I'd bought it at a used game store for $10. It was an odd first and last name, so I facebooked it. Came up. I asked him why he drew pictures in marker all over his NES. He questioned me extensively regarding how I obtained his property. Now I don't contact the names left on old game stuff. You never know if Mom, Girlfriend, bandit, etc took said items.

AX

Picked up Guitar Hero World Tour 360 w/Drums, Foot Pedal, 3 Guitar Controllers for 5.00 at a yardsale. Everything works and is in nice shape.

Hey, that's 50% off of what I saw them for at Roses last weekend. :D

AX

For some reason the thrift stores around here, Goodwill in particular, think they can still get a mint for music controllers. There are plenty of Guitar Hero and Rock Band peripherals to be had, if you don't mind paying upwards of $20 a pop for them. Fortunately there have been some exceptions, which is why I was finally able to rescue my 360 guitar with parts cannibalized from a thrift store find.

One of the advantages of living in "the greater Los Angeles area"...it's certainly not fun most of the time to drive to all the places, but there's many places to check out.

It's also not bad having a girlfriend who lives withing a couple of miles of 2 Salvation Armies, 2 Goodwills (with one more coming) and a few hole in the walls. ;)

a 32x with no cords for $5

Has anyone ever found a complete 32x? It's always missing the cables. icon_thumbsdown.gif

Once I found one in box (no internal packing), spacers, metal bits, both short cables, (no A/V) but as a bonus, the plastic extender for the sega cd2. That's the closest I've come to complete. When I opened it, I felt a little bad for leaving that cd2 behind.

One of the advantages of living in "the greater Los Angeles area"...it's certainly not fun most of the time to drive to all the places, but there's many places to check out.

It's also not bad having a girlfriend who lives withing a couple of miles of 2 Salvation Armies, 2 Goodwills (with one more coming) and a few hole in the walls. ;)

I don't know where in the area you are, but if you don't mind a drive, Oxnard's independent thrifts are where I made many of my best finds when I was out there. Modded saturn (+VCD), pachinko machine, Losi RC cars, etc. There are two, right next to eachother on oxnard blvd(?) that seemed to be the best.

Edited by Reaperman

I don't know where in the area you are, but if you don't mind a drive, Oxnard's independent thrifts are where I made many of my best finds when I was out there. Modded saturn (+VCD), pachinko machine, Losi RC cars, etc. There are two, right next to eachother on oxnard blvd(?) that seemed to be the best.

Thanks for the tip! I haven't checked out the Oxnard thrifts as much, but I'm definitely no stranger to Ventura's Main Street thrift scene. :) I'm splitting my time between Hollywood area and Redondo Beach at this point in time.

Oh, and I found a loose N64 Mario Party 2 at a Goodwill in Culver City near my work for $4.99 yesterday.

Recent find, not a game per say, but it'll play games if I needed it too. ;) I believe my parents had the same set, back in the mid 80s got it from one of those timeshare walk-thru.. So it brought back memories, plus it's a Bentley and the box reminded me of their cheesy pong system. Also scored original AC & auto adapters, and a battery charger, this is just for standard size batteries not just the big D-cells this set likes. charger was new in box. Tv was clean but the tip of the antenna was broke off.. Only channel I'm getting right now is Telemondo Spanish channel :D

post-43-0-18298500-1315621493_thumb.jpg