IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

post-22364-0-25118100-1318742431_thumb.jpg

That is a Voodoo2 3D card with what looks like 12MB of video memory. It requires a cable to connect VGA output from the video card to the back of this card. The cable for the monitor then connects to the other VGA connector on the card. The card itself is not capable of 2d graphics and requires a standard video card for that. If you had a second card with the SLI (I think that's what it was called) connector, you could join them together to split the 3D workload.

It's quite nice for older games that don't support Direct3D or OpenGL.

It's been a while, but I thought the Voodoo2 was an OpenGL card, that's why the Quake guys were into them?

I believe it does a subset of OpenGL. Sorry about the mix-up.

Still crazy to see such a powerful card stuck inside a dell dimension. This guy had a crazy setup going on in there. Two 3.2GB hard drives, 64mb SDRAM, Soundblaster FX hooked up to a CD-RW, a tape drive and even some sort of PCI ram expansion.

Edited by STICH666

While I'm dealing with this guy, my wife calls me and says there is a dealer with a bunch of stuff including a TG16 set. So as soon as I'm done I run over there and pick up this set for $15!

TG16

Turbo Tap

Turbo Stick joystick

Splatterhouse (loose)

At another dealer I got a loose copy of Yoshi's Cookie SNES for my wife for $3 (yawn)

All in all, a pretty good day! (And a fitting end to what has been a pretty lackluster season, the previously mentioned sealed Atari not withstanding.) :)

I'll give you my only son for that TG-16 set.

Picked up this entertainment cabinet with drawers from Goodwill. It came with a 27 inch tv mounted on a slide out drawer.

post-30275-0-97022800-1318895439_thumb.jpg

Inside there was a controller which I did not think much about while in the store and didn't even take a good look at it. I was more interested in the piece so I could setup some classic systems. Here is a pic of the inside with a different TV. (needs cleaning and organizing)

post-30275-0-40948100-1318895982_thumb.jpg

It turns out the the TV that came with it was part of a Lodgenet N64 system and here is the controller.

post-30275-0-81454200-1318895449_thumb.jpg

It is a very nice unit and wished that I had the space as I would have picked up another as they had quite a few. It turns out that they came from a retirement home of all places and I guess the seniors were playing N64. Not bad for the $100 I think.

Also picked up a 20" Sony WEGA CRT for $5.

It is a very nice unit and wished that I had the space as I would have picked up another as they had quite a few. It turns out that they came from a retirement home of all places and I guess the seniors were playing N64. Not bad for the $100 I think.

Weird, I would have guessed they came from a hotel.

Cool set up and those Trinitrons are without equal.

Edited by SRGilbert

Weird, I would have guessed they came from a hotel.

Cool set up and those Trinitrons are without equal.

Thanks and have to agree about the Sony CRTs. The 27" Trinitron in the picture was our old TV. It was only after getting back into the older gaming systems that I have purchased various flat screen WEGAs(20/24/27/32). The prices ranged from $5 to $20 so it was hard for me to pass on them.

Yeah I was surprised when told that they came from a retirement home as well since the Lodgenet system is usually from a hotel. Perhaps at one time they were as the TV was screwed into the sliding base. I doubt that someone in the home was going to be running off with the TV. :) The cable line going into the TV also has a special piece to prevent easy removal.

Awesome score, SRGilbert! I can understand not wanting sealed games. To keep their "sealed" value, not only can you not play them, but you can't check out the manual and maybe other promotional goodies inside. I actually prefer loose or loose with manual games because I don't want to have to store the boxes. A Harmony cartridge will at least satisfy the desire to play the games.

Went to a electronic resale shop that recently received some Atari 2600 and 7800 games, some for $1-5

Submarine Commander

Gopher

Private Eye

Raft Rider

Up n Down for a $1.

Ace of Aces

Jinks

Crossbow

Xevious

Dig Dug

Dark Chambers

Joust

Desert Falcon

Ballblazer

DK jr

Asteroids

Impossible misson

Robotron 2084

Nice! Especially Up N Down!

Today I found Sonic 3 CIB, a beat up first party Genesis 3 button turbo controller and the receiverfor a pair of Akklaim wireless SNES controllers. My local Goodwill NEVER sells receivers and controllers as a set. Why they sell stuff like this piecemeal is beyond me.

Went to a electronic resale shop that recently received some Atari 2600 and 7800 games, some for $1-5

Submarine Commander

Gopher

Private Eye

Raft Rider

Up n Down for a $1.

Ace of Aces

Jinks

Crossbow

Xevious

Dig Dug

Dark Chambers

Joust

Desert Falcon

Ballblazer

DK jr

Asteroids

Impossible misson

Robotron 2084

Nice! Especially Up N Down!

Thanks I also got Fast Food and Star Trek for 2600 as well. But my greatest finds are:

Artillery Strike/Chuck Norris superkicks for $5

Sear telecade 4 switch with various games like Tapper, Pitfall II, and Comic Commuter for $20

Sega Genesis and Sega CD

CIB Snatcher for $3 but it is scratched up

CIB M.U.S.H.A for $3 from a Play and Trade!

CIB Shining Force and Warsong for $5

NES

Power glove with sensor bar: $15

Little Samson that I still have from a kid.

SNES

Sunset riders, Battletoad and Double Dragon, and Contra 3 for $3 each at Goodwill recently

SF Alpha II and Final Fight II for $5 each

N64

Ogre Battle 64, Starcraft 64 and Harvest Moon $5 each

Intellivision: Box of 2 working Intelivision 2s and nonworking Intellivison for parts with Joystick attachments for $3

Truckin for $1

I had a surprising but not too exciting find at a Sally Ann today. I had looked around the store a couple of times and didn't see anything beyond a couple of PlayStations. On my way out I happened to glance at a CD rack and noticed one case with a green and black sticker on the spine. It was Super Volleyball for the TurboGrafx 16, with both its case and manual.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a TG game in the wild before, and even though it wasn't anything special, I had to grab it (and then did a quick scan of the rest of the CDs to make sure I wasn't leaving behind any other TG games). When I brought it to the cashier she opened it, assuming there'd be a CD inside. She looked at it and asked me, "What is this?" After a quick explanation she gave it to me for $1.99. :)

Like I said, not too exciting, but a bit of a nice surprise.

Alright, back home from a couple hour retro excursion. Let me start off by saying these are probably my strangest 1-day purchases of my collecting. These items took me quite awhile to decide to purchase (I need a smartphone), to the point that I was calling friends to see if they were at their computer to check prices for me. None were. So, being the addict that I am ("but if I put them back, they might be gone tomorrow!"), I had to go for them. The stares as I made my way up to the counter were...almost unbearable. I even went as far as to explain to the cashier that I was Christmas shopping for my little sister (I don't have a sister!). However, returning home, I have been really surprised at the value of some of my pickups...Which were:

-NIB 1998 Furby White/Black Spots, Grey Eyes (slightly crushed box) - $3.99

-NIB 1995 Bandai Sailor Moon Adventure Dolls 6" Figures (4 of the 5) - $2 a piece ($8 total)

-Colecovision Subroc loose cart - $2

-Colecovision Slither loose cart - $1.50

-Colecovision Popeye loose cart - $1.50

-Colecovision Smurf loose cart - $1.50

-Nintendo Game Secrets vol. 2 - $1.50

-VideoGames: The Ultimate Gaming Magazine Dec. 1993 issue - $1.50

-Advanced Computer Entertainment issue 17, Feb. 1989 - $1.50

-Diehard Game Fan vol. 2 issue 5 April 1994 - $1.50

So, for $24.50 total, I feel like I got a pretty good haul. The NIB Furby is almost worth the entire asking price, and the Sailor Moon dolls seem relatively hard to find. I love thrifting...

35ir7o2.jpg

o6l30k.jpg

vzznu9.jpg