IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

An old friend E-Mailed me from out of the blue to say hello and see if I might be able to stop by and help him hook up a printer he just got. So I stop over there, hook it up to his desktop and laptop, and while I'm there he goes, "Oh, before I forget I found something for you".

He comes back with a 2600 heavy sixer in the box. He was like, "This is just taking up space, and I'd hate to throw it away, but I know you're the guy that's going to appreciate it".

So I get it home, and the box is in really decent shape for the age. Definitely been chillaxing in a basement, but other than some moving scrapes and scuffs, the box is fully intact and structurally sound. Everything is inside including the original cardboard "tray", plus the original manual and warranty registration card which also has a free offer for a "Video Computer System Log Book". I'm sure some of the Atari collectors have filing cabinets stuffed with these Log Book things, but this is the first time I've seen one. I'm pretty excited for something that was completely free. I didn't have a heavy sixer box in my collection, and wouldn't have expected to find one is such nice shape.

• Like 2

yes, the best thing come free.

a cousin once called me and said he had some stuff for me. Got a darth vader 2600 and some 20 or so games. A collegue once picked up a nes with 2 games and all hookups for free for me. It's nice having people thinking about other man's hobby and putting things aside for you.

• Like 1

Similar thing happened to me...my cousin I guess gave my dad a heavy sixer with a few games, an AC adapter (official Atari, though I don't know if it came with the heavy sixer), some third party controllers, some paperwork crap...he asked me if I wanted it.

Got pretty lucky in the thrifts today...

Three Dreamcast games: Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and two copies of Phantasy Star Online Ver.2, one of which had Sonic Adventure inside instead.

Super Smash TV for SNES, complete in a really beat up box (not that I care, I just wanted the game). They had the NES version CIB too, but I passed on that one. Looks like it's ex-rental.

Spot: The Videogame, with instructions, in one of those clear blue cases.

A Quake CD CIB (gatefold), to replace mine that broke. There's a sticker on the front that says "EPISODE 1 Shareware", but the soundtrack seems intact, and that's all I was really after.

...and the best score of all, probably the best one all year...Rick Astley - Whenever You Need Somebody on CD!! Everyone is going to hate driving with me \m/

Hmm, the Sonic Adventure disc won't read...and it's not even scratched up, really =/

There are a few Dreamcast games that, for reasons unknown to me, will work on some consoles and not others. I believe that Sonic Adventure is one of them.

Sega also had a run of bad disc pressings early in the Dreamcast's life. I don't remember if SA was one of the affected games, but Hydro Thunder was among them, IIRC.

Well crap =/

Funny thing, even the boot disc wouldn't boot it...it just made the spinning reindeer spin much slower. I'll just have to be content with a burned copy, I guess.

Yup, Sonic was one of the infamous bad pressings. I had to take my first copy back too. Someone on eBay is selling a giant wholesale lot of them right now (or just did). It's too bad since you know that they will probably get purchased by someone that leaks them back on to the used market. The discs should have been destroyed.

Really good day at the flea market today!

Sega Saturn with Memory Card Plus but with no cables: $5

Nintendo 64 mic connector: $2

11 loose Atari 2600 carts and Robotica for the Sega Saturn with manual: $20

Games:

Jr. Pac-Man

River Raid (Blue Label)

River Raid (Red Label)

Kool-Aid Man

Adventures of Tron

Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

Pitfall

Popeye

Q-Bert

2 Parker Brothers carts with no labels

Nice. I got some 80s laser discs today at a yard sale for .50 each, like Tron, ESB, Raiders,Flight of the Navigator.

I used buy LaserDiscs whenever I came across them, but now I've got more than a hundred and I've only seen a handful of them. Now I hold myself back and only buy the discs I really, really want, or the ones that look so incredibly bad that they'd be funny.

• Like 1

So nabbed the 1st two pics for $50 nabbed the gamecube for $20 (no mario kart) Then grabbed the sega cd and genesis lot for $75. I have moved the sega cd w/ a model 2 on the bay. That box is nice and has the cardboard tray and cover, should pay for everything.

also got a commodore 1541 (don't think I even want it lol) in that $50 lot; need to clean it still. Also nabbed a ps2 network adapter for $5

100_1955.jpg

100_1956.jpg

100_1957.jpg

100_1954.jpg

Edited by icemanxp300
  • Like 1

Nice. I got some 80s laser discs today at a yard sale for .50 each, like Tron, ESB, Raiders,Flight of the Navigator.

I used buy LaserDiscs whenever I came across them, but now I've got more than a hundred and I've only seen a handful of them. Now I hold myself back and only buy the discs I really, really want, or the ones that look so incredibly bad that they'd be funny.

I don't have many Laserdiscs or VHS/Beta, just the ones I want. I used to be HUGE into Laserdiscs because of the sound/picture quality and the WS format (even WATERWORLD was watchable on LD!). Now I just collect them as I've gotten rid of the nonsense ones (like waterworld) - mostly 80s and sci-fi/fantasy flicks. I love the artwork. I even have a few video discs (Last Starfighter, Krull) but Laserdiscs are scarce. I find them every once in awhile at Goodwill for $3 to $5 each (still overpriced for a thrift store) but they are usually movies I'm not interested in.

Great day at the flea market today. I'm not going to itemize everything, but here's the overall haul, from more than a dozen different vendors:

- 14 PlayStation games, all CIB and relatively common, mostly very clean

- 6 VCS games, loose, inc. Bump 'n' Jump, Flag Capture picture label (!)

- 4 N64 games, all loose carts, inc. Mario Party 2 & 3 (!) and Super Smash Bros.

- 2 CIB Dreamcast games (The Grinch & Wetrix+)

- 1 CV game (Mouse Trap), 1 SNES game (Mecarobot Golf :lol:), 1 CIB Genesis game (Zoop) and one manual (Technocop), 1 GB game (Bart vs. the Juggernauts)

- pink Konami Justifier gun (!!!)

- Atari Force comic #1

- Pink Floyd Obscured By Clouds remastered CD (squeaky-clean disc)

- TI-99/4A with power supply, speech synthesizer and 12 games including Parsec (getting this fulfills a childhood dream, assuming it all works -- fingers crossed)

- Intellivision ECS, including power supply and keyboard, with three random loose carts (my reaction to seeing this was almost identical to Gandalf's reaction in the first LOTR movie when Bilbo disappears)

Total cost for everything was about $125. The only downside was being in humid 80+ degree weather for five hours, which ultimately gave me a migraine that I slept off this evening. I haven't tested much of it yet, but the ECS works perfectly!

Great day at the flea market today. I'm not going to itemize everything, but here's the overall haul, from more than a dozen different vendors:

- 14 PlayStation games, all CIB and relatively common, mostly very clean

- 6 VCS games, loose, inc. Bump 'n' Jump, Flag Capture picture label (!)

- 4 N64 games, all loose carts, inc. Mario Party 2 & 3 (!) and Super Smash Bros.

- 2 CIB Dreamcast games (The Grinch & Wetrix+)

- 1 CV game (Mouse Trap), 1 SNES game (Mecarobot Golf :lol:), 1 CIB Genesis game (Zoop) and one manual (Technocop), 1 GB game (Bart vs. the Juggernauts)

- pink Konami Justifier gun (!!!)

- Atari Force comic #1

- Pink Floyd Obscured By Clouds remastered CD (squeaky-clean disc)

- TI-99/4A with power supply, speech synthesizer and 12 games including Parsec (getting this fulfills a childhood dream, assuming it all works -- fingers crossed)

- Intellivision ECS, including power supply and keyboard, with three random loose carts (my reaction to seeing this was almost identical to Gandalf's reaction in the first LOTR movie when Bilbo disappears)

Total cost for everything was about $125. The only downside was being in humid 80+ degree weather for five hours, which ultimately gave me a migraine that I slept off this evening. I haven't tested much of it yet, but the ECS works perfectly!

It stuns me how often TI stuff appears in these posts. I've never seen any in the wild that I recall... ever. Even in the 80's and 90's when I was pioneering the thrifting and yardsaling for games.

Ax, I've probably found four or five CIB TI-99 4/A computers in the last two or three years. Not sure why but Bakersfield was ripe with them. I'm down to my only one (the mint one of course) but I've only seen one lot of games in about 4 or 5 years.

Sloooow out there...

Not even gaming related, but I'm sure electronic buffs will like these.

$1 Speak and Spell (membrane -- still looking for the "raised keys" version)

$4 Casio SK-1 Keyboard (~$40 ebay, for the boy -- he loves it)

$4 Indiana Fate of Atlantis - 3.5" Floppies for Mac2

Several $2 Official video game guides

Found a bag at Goodwill with a PSOne inside for $10. Both controllers (trans blue PS1), AC adapter, composite video cable, and a third party memory card. For some reason, I wasn't surprised to find a game inside (Crash Bandicoot 2).

I think I might have to put Golden.Ax's chip inside this one instead of my old one \m/

Maybe my TV is just set up different, but it seems like this newer one doesn't have the super over-saturated colors in the video like my old one does.

Yesterday I hit a resale/consignment shop near work for the first time, and saw my first Atari 2600 in the wild in about two years. It was a four-switch Woody with joystics, paddles and keyboards, and 17 games, all fairly common but still a good cross-section of titles. $80. A good price for anyone getting started, but not for someone who already owns everything in the collection. I left it for another lucky customer. Even so, it was nice to see there are still a few Ataris out there to be found.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Today was the opening day of my local Goodwill store. It had a lot of PS2, PSP, and Gamecube games (The GC games I could remember was most of the Sonic The Hedgehog games). A slim PS2 with no hookups for $7.99, an original Playstation with 2 controllers (no A/V cable or AC cord) for $11.99, an Atari Flashback 2 with an odd A/C power supply and no controllers for 12.99, and at least 4 new PS2 controllers in original packaging for $10.99 each.

I just bought this plug-n-play game system for 99 cents:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/419

It did not come with little black A/V adapter shown here:

polaroid_back_large.jpg

but I had something from another game controller so I could hook up at least the video cable of this to the TV.

I just bought this plug-n-play game system for 99 cents:

http://www.vintageco...hp/archives/419

I saw one of those on clearance at Target a long time ago, probably from when everything was on clearance because they were moving. I wondered what the heck it was, but didn't feel like spending money I didn't have just to find out.

Sounds like I'm not missing out.