IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've only read one of his stories before, some very early short story...I seem to remember that it was a prototype for Tarzan or something like that? From Weird Tales magazine? I might be thinking of the wrong author. Anyway, I've been meaning to read more of his stuff, was hard to turn down 30¢ each.

Mars 1, 2, 3, and 5. Tarzan 3, 4, 6, 17 (I already have #1), The Oakdale Affair, The Land that Time Forgot, The Lost Continent (Beyond Thirty), Pellucidar, The Mucker, The Outlaw of Torn.

Quite a few of them are Frank Frazetta covers, R.I.P :(

Also found a Purina Kitten Chow music CD entitled "music for your pet!" It was too ridiculous not to get.

"This music CD was created with your pet in mind. It's perfect for keeping your pet company while you're away or as background music while you play together. Plug it in, turn it on, and enjoy music for your pet brought to you by the pet experts at Purina."

72 minutes of shopping market easy listening B) I guess cats are into that kind of thing.

• Like 1

Any John Carter?

Yep ;)

Too bad there's so many gaps...I guess I'll have to read some of them on the DS or something, though I dislike having to read books from a screen.

Whoever had these previously used the "other books by this author" list in the back as a checklist. There are plenty of gaps, but also maybe half of the later books are missing.

Yeah, I have the first 3 of the recent reprints of the John Carter books, but for the later stuff like Chessmen of Mars, The Mastermind of Mars, etc I've resorted to reading etexts. I hope one day to have a nice library bound set on my bookshelf. Getting a complete run of the old Marvel Comics series was easier than getting actual books... go figure.

Found these at a local yard sale, one of the best of the year (and you would have NEVER though it by the looks of the sale, almost past it up)!

SNES - Secret of Mana ( 50 cents )
N64 - Pokemon Stadium 2 ( $1)
N64 - Banjo Kazooie ( $1)
Terra Nova (looked like an interesting game to play with my son for 50 cents!)

Good luck to all posters!

Found these at a local yard sale, one of the best of the year (and you would have NEVER though it by the looks of the sale, almost past it up)!

What kind of media is that Terra Nova on? What are the system requirements? Looking at Google and Youtube I could only find reference to a battle game called Terra Nova. Very interesting.

AX

What kind of media is that Terra Nova on? What are the system requirements? Looking at Google and Youtube I could only find reference to a battle game called Terra Nova. Very interesting.

AX

Oops ... should have mentioned that's just a board game, not a video game.

AX

Oops ... should have mentioned that's just a board game, not a video game.

LOL, looks just like a big box PC game. Shows where my mind is these days :D

JUST a board game??!!!??? DO NOT let Cebus hear you say that! :-D

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Terra Nova's a pretty good game, nice little basic turn mechanic of move,place,score without the game being too complicated. There's some abstract elements of Go in it which can get a little complicated, but overall it's a good little game for 2 players. There's a couple weird nuances to the rules that can get confusing, though, so be prepared to be a little confused at the end of the first game or two, but after that you'll get it fine. :)

Definitely worth 50 cents for sure (then again, I don't really turn down many board games at that price, especially an abstract or Euro), but the game does have some flaws that made it not worth the initial $30 or so at retail. Definitely worth a couple plays, and I'd pay the $10 or so it goes for on BGG and eBay for it for sure.

Terra Nova's a pretty good game, nice little basic turn mechanic of move,place,score without the game being too complicated. There's some abstract elements of Go in it which can get a little complicated, but overall it's a good little game for 2 players. There's a couple weird nuances to the rules that can get confusing, though, so be prepared to be a little confused at the end of the first game or two, but after that you'll get it fine. :)

Definitely worth 50 cents for sure (then again, I don't really turn down many board games at that price, especially an abstract or Euro), but the game does have some flaws that made it not worth the initial $30 or so at retail. Definitely worth a couple plays, and I'd pay the $10 or so it goes for on BGG and eBay for it for sure.

Our family has been getting into this type of game (started with Ticket to Ride, a really fun game IMHO) so I was excited to find it. My kids are 9 and 10 and just getting to the age where they can play some of these. Now if only I get them them all hooked on Axis & Allies, my life would be complete.

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 2

Our family has been getting into this type of game (started with Ticket to Ride, a really fun game IMHO) so I was excited to find it. My kids are 9 and 10 and just getting to the age where they can play some of these. Now if only I get them them all hooked on Axis & Allies, my life would be complete.

A CIB A&A I would assume - :-D

Ticket to Ride is an awesome family game, and in terms of something for everyone, to me it's the best game out there. There's just enough strategy to keep deeper players involved, but it's simple enough that new players and non-board game players can get into it and really have a good time. There's also enough luck element involved that the heavy hitter long-term game players don't win every single time, so it keeps the newer players from getting frustrated. The boards are beautiful, the little plastic cars are fun, the cards are easy, and the rules are very straightforward. My wife and I own every expansion plus the original game except for the Alvin & Dexter expansion, which I plan on buying sometime in the near future. :) Ticket to Ride is a winner for sure, and I think Days of Wonder in general is an amazing company -- you can never go wrong with a Days of Wonder game. They really strive for excellent quality.

You might want to try Memoir '44 with them, if they have any interest in strategy at all. It's got a lot of the same elements and is easy enough that people don't get frustrated with rules, etc. -- there's simple game modes and more complex for advanced players. Another winner from Days of Wonder!

A CIB A&A I would assume - :-D

Is there any other way to own it?

You might want to try Memoir '44 with them, if they have any interest in strategy at all. It's got a lot of the same elements and is easy enough that people don't get frustrated with rules, etc. -- there's simple game modes and more complex for advanced players. Another winner from Days of Wonder!

Thanks for the advice, I'll look it up and see if the kids would enjoy.

20k7sq9.jpg

2rcnxmu.jpg

Gamestop

Medal of Honor: Frontline PS2 - $.99

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun PS2 - $1.99

Hole-in-the-Wall Thrift

Warcraft II: The Dark Saga PS1 (no disc)

Final Fantasy VII error artwork PS1 (disc 2 only, no manual)

Final Fantasy VIII PS1 manual

...all for the change in my pocket...$1.71 yayyyyyy

Yard sales today were mostly rained out, but I did get what I believe is a Taiwanese light sixer with three joysticks, two paddles, AC adapter, eight commons, and a storage case/system organizer for $20. Unfortunately the power switch is very loose and at least one of the paddles has a dead fire button (or a break in the cable), but it's still not bad and it gives me an excuse to get rid of my Sears light sixer, which I've never really liked.

BTW the light sixer has the "sharp" corners on the front, but it also has the ® mark that's higher than the top of the ATARI logo (see here), so I'm uncertain. I guess I'll open it up and see what else I can figure out based on the parts inside.

I found a few yard sales yesterday even though it was raining on and off here in Phoenix. I'm always most excited to find video games but I can't believe I found an 18K gold necklace and earings in addition to a bunch of misc. silver for $3.50. It was amazing! I haven't taken it to get weighed and see what it's worth but I'm going to a jewelry store tomorrow and find out. I know that some of it is silver because of the markings but I'm not sure on all of it.

Anyway, here are the things I found:

post-4103-0-96207300-1343615193_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-76785100-1343615197_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-53796000-1343615201_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-89547800-1343616727_thumb.jpg

$5 - ($1 each) SNES Games: SUPER GAME BOY, ZOOP, SUPER MARIO WORLD, STREET FIGHTER II, TETRIS / DR. MARIO

$2 - Game Boy Advance System that's pretty beat up. I'm going to get a battery cover and a new screen from ebay.

$1 - New Wii Fit Storage Case, I need this because mine gets all dusty.

$4 - ($1 each) InuYasha DVD's, 3 new/sealed, 1 used

$0.10 - Goosebumps Double-Feature DVD, new/sealed

$10 - Vending Machine that is for those Hershey chocolate nuggets, 25 cent coin mechanism, it works great but I don't know what to do with it or why I bought it.

:thumbsup: $3.50 - 18K gold necklace and earrings, a few silver rings, a bracelet, pendants that are marked and some other things that may be silver. :thumbsup:

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I found a few yard sales yesterday even though it was raining on and off here in Phoenix. I'm always most excited to find video games but I can't believe I found an 18K gold necklace and earings in addition to a bunch of misc. silver for $3.50. It was amazing! I haven't taken it to get weighed and see what it's worth but I'm going to a jewelry store tomorrow and find out. I know that some of it is silver because of the markings but I'm not sure on all of it.

Anyway, here are the things I found:

post-4103-0-96207300-1343615193_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-76785100-1343615197_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-53796000-1343615201_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-89547800-1343616727_thumb.jpg

$5 - ($1 each) SNES Games: SUPER GAME BOY, ZOOP, SUPER MARIO WORLD, STREET FIGHTER II, TETRIS / DR. MARIO

$2 - Game Boy Advance System that's pretty beat up. I'm going to get a battery cover and a new screen from ebay.

$1 - New Wii Fit Storage Case, I need this because mine gets all dusty.

$4 - ($1 each) InuYasha DVD's, 3 new/sealed, 1 used

$0.10 - Goosebumps Double-Feature DVD, new/sealed

$10 - Vending Machine that is for those Hershey chocolate nuggets, 25 cent coin mechanism, it works great but I don't know what to do with it or why I bought it.

:thumbsup: $3.50 - 18K gold necklace and earrings, a few silver rings, a bracelet, pendants that are marked and some other things that may be silver. :thumbsup:

you bought the vending machine cause its sweet, and for 10 bucks ! :grin: