IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I think this one speaks for itself.....

post-24585-0-18997500-1348785171_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-84714900-1348785172_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-45890300-1348785174_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-09286000-1348785176_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-91327500-1348785177_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is complete. Yes, it works. Yes, it was $3.99. Yes, I had a heart attack and fell over as soon as I saw it. $4.27 with tax!

Envy and jealousy do not even begin to describe....

• Like 1

Yes, it is complete. Yes, it works. Yes, it was $3.99. Yes, I had a heart attack and fell over as soon as I saw it. $4.27 with tax!

And I thought the complete one I found years ago for $10 was a good deal...nice!

Last couple of days...

CIMG3970.jpg

Max Roach-Max

George Russell and His Orchestra-Jazz in the Space Age

Roland Kirk-Introducing Roland Kirk

Albert Ayler-Live in Greenwich Village x2

Dewey Redman-The Ear of the Behearer

Archie Shepp-Four for Trane

Benny Carter-Further Definitions

Pharoah Sanders-Summun Bukmun Umyun

The bottom six are still sealed-$.99 each.

CIMG3973.jpg

CIMG3974.jpg

THX Not for Resale demonstration laserdisc-$.99. This and the CDs were found at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift.

CIMG3981.jpg

Star Wars Trilogy widescreen box in longbox package, still sealed-$9.99 at Goodwill.

CIMG3979.jpg

Rhino Records Beg, Scream & Shout '60s Soul box-$9.99 at a different Goodwill.

• Like 3

I have found two working complete Dark Towers games in my lifetime - both within the last 4 years. I played them (incredible game) and was able to sell them for a nifty profit. If I was more into board games I would have kept one - but alas, bills always play the Spade ... anyway, great find for $4!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I found a decent little lot of gameboy/gameboy color games at Value Village - package of 6 for $10

Track and Field

Loony Tunes Babs something or other

Donkey Kong Land

Super Mario Land

Tony Hawk 2

R-Type DX

and last weekend I picked this up for $4. Haven't opened it yet but probably will. Interesting little display piece at best. I think there were half a dozen of these made like Asteroids, Pacman, Missile Command, etc

post-2493-0-85394400-1348951860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Been to a retro fair today and bought the following stuff/traded.

Traded 2 working gamegears for the game Mage for the Videopac/odyssey2

Bought the following games

Pepper II cart + manual for Colecovision

Vectron boxed for intellivision

Bogey blaster boxed voor atari 2600

King Kong cart for atari 2600

Miner 2049 cart for atari 2600

Chase Hq boxed for gameboy

Robocop vs terminator boxed for game gear

Super starwars return of the jedi cart for game gear

Zool cart. for game gear

And for only 10 euro i bought a boxed Amstrad GX4000 console.

Went to Savers today.....had a pretty normal thrift day, found some 2600 commons for $4.99 each, passed on those......

post-24585-0-59997700-1348785115_thumb.jpg

Found the Dilbert board game for $3.99. That's pretty damn cool! This game looks pretty basic, but definitely funny for a couple games with friends. :)

I think this one speaks for itself.....

post-24585-0-18997500-1348785171_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-84714900-1348785172_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-45890300-1348785174_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-09286000-1348785176_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-91327500-1348785177_thumb.jpg

Wow ... been hoping to find this in the wild for a while. Had it as a kid (a Christmas gift from my only cool uncle!). What a great find ... I've been wanting to play it again!

Congrats!

Hey Nice Finds guys!

Couple of comments --

I see a lot of people pulling stuff out of Vintage Stock. Man you are so lucky to have one of those near you. We visited my wife's family in Tulsa over Christmas and I about flipped out when I saw one. Got some nasty wife looks but tried to visit everyone in/around Tulsa over the trip. (Oh we're in Broken arrow? Hey think we can stop by...) Think I made it to 4 or 5 locations. That store is awesome. Music, Video, Toys and vintage games under one roof? Man.. and Tulsa has like 6 of them! Insanity. Probably good thing I don't live there actually.. I brought a big box of crap home. Glad we rented a mini-van.

Score on the Dark Tower. I always wanted one of those.. I remember the commercials from back in the 80s and just thought that was the coolest thing ever. I don't think I ever played it although I think i remember going to a kids house who had it but he refused to set it up. Jerk! Over the years i've found a couple of electronic games but it's mostly endless copies of 'Stop Thief!' or whatever that one is with the handheld device.. nowhere near as cool.

Honestly Thrifting for classics here has taken a bit of a slide since the proliferation of eBay. Back in the day (as the kids say) used to score decently.. especially at used video game / rental places. Now everyone is so ebay aware you've got no chance. Plus the thrift stores are getting greedy. There's a huge goodwill near me but for whatever reason about 6 months ago they decided every video game was now $6.06. Doesn't matter if it's Madden 2003 for the Playstation or Barneys Sing-a-long for the PC, it's $6.06. Really sucks as obviously few common/uncommons of any sort are worth that and mostly that's all you are going to find.

Still.. here's a find from that same Goodwill a few months ago:

JagCD_zpse8149c9e.jpg

Jag w/CD Unit for $10. Shockingly was complete with 2 controllers, power supplies and video cable. Looked like somebody smeared crap into the controllers but otherwise fine.. working perfectly. Was stoked because the JagCD is one of the few consoles I never got. It just seemed insane to spend $200 for something you knew was basically DOA. Unlike the Jag it never really got discounted either.. it just kinda dissapeared, probably because they made so few.

What was funny was there were thrift reseller/ebay vulture types sorting through the electronics at the time (another common staple now) guess they didn't know what it was or didn't spot it. Probably the same people that eventually buy the copies of 2600 Missile Command for $6 hoping its worth something. Suckers!

• Like 6

Here is most of my crap from PRGE:

Some boxed Intv commons

post-26465-0-22799800-1349237456_thumb.jpg

Didnt really need another RS Electronics Kit, but this one is older - 1967, and had....

post-26465-0-10046600-1349237465_thumb.jpg

47 year old batteries in perfect condition!

post-26465-0-12612800-1349237476_thumb.jpg

random $1 games mostly

post-26465-0-29521400-1349237490_thumb.jpg

post-26465-0-24323500-1349237500_thumb.jpg

The last two US N64's I needed to find

post-26465-0-03881800-1349237509_thumb.jpg

These three awesome posters for the game room:

post-26465-0-89911700-1349237527_thumb.jpg

post-26465-0-11581400-1349237534_thumb.jpg

Not pictured: Also got a boxed Hyperscan with extra controller and games for $12, not sure why, the Road Warriors 2600 homebrew, a cool AA shirt, and more. So far I am getting the most use out of the Master Gear converter.

post-26465-0-20223500-1349237546_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Nice Finds guys!

Couple of comments --

I see a lot of people pulling stuff out of Vintage Stock. Man you are so lucky to have one of those near you. We visited my wife's family in Tulsa over Christmas and I about flipped out when I saw one. Got some nasty wife looks but tried to visit everyone in/around Tulsa over the trip. (Oh we're in Broken arrow? Hey think we can stop by...) Think I made it to 4 or 5 locations. That store is awesome. Music, Video, Toys and vintage games under one roof? Man.. and Tulsa has like 6 of them! Insanity. Probably good thing I don't live there actually.. I brought a big box of crap home. Glad we rented a mini-van.

Score on the Dark Tower. I always wanted one of those.. I remember the commercials from back in the 80s and just thought that was the coolest thing ever. I don't think I ever played it although I think i remember going to a kids house who had it but he refused to set it up. Jerk! Over the years i've found a couple of electronic games but it's mostly endless copies of 'Stop Thief!' or whatever that one is with the handheld device.. nowhere near as cool.

Honestly Thrifting for classics here has taken a bit of a slide since the proliferation of eBay. Back in the day (as the kids say) used to score decently.. especially at used video game / rental places. Now everyone is so ebay aware you've got no chance. Plus the thrift stores are getting greedy. There's a huge goodwill near me but for whatever reason about 6 months ago they decided every video game was now $6.06. Doesn't matter if it's Madden 2003 for the Playstation or Barneys Sing-a-long for the PC, it's $6.06. Really sucks as obviously few common/uncommons of any sort are worth that and mostly that's all you are going to find.

Still.. here's a find from that same Goodwill a few months ago:

JagCD_zpse8149c9e.jpg

Jag w/CD Unit for $10. Shockingly was complete with 2 controllers, power supplies and video cable. Looked like somebody smeared crap into the controllers but otherwise fine.. working perfectly. Was stoked because the JagCD is one of the few consoles I never got. It just seemed insane to spend $200 for something you knew was basically DOA. Unlike the Jag it never really got discounted either.. it just kinda dissapeared, probably because they made so few.

What was funny was there were thrift reseller/ebay vulture types sorting through the electronics at the time (another common staple now) guess they didn't know what it was or didn't spot it. Probably the same people that eventually buy the copies of 2600 Missile Command for $6 hoping its worth something. Suckers!

nice score on the jagcd. love to get one, for that price.

• Like 1

Haven't been able to thrift much lately, since they put us back on third. I'm "temporarily" on first this week and next though, so maybe I'll run into something nice.

A new one for my local goodwill.... printed paper CD case inserts and burned discs for computer games.

I see those at thrifts a lot...I like to browse through them and giggle. One time I actually found a CD of a local band I was friends with in high school, couldn't believe it, snagged that straight up.

I was pretty stoked when I found HeroQuest at Goodwill one time. Not complete, but most of the pieces are there...just missing 3/4 of the player pieces (we use Clue pieces instead) and some of the furniture. All of the cards are there.

Still haven't gotten through the whole thing...my friends always get discouraged when they start goofing off and get killed >_<

Nope.

I found a DVD and that was about it. I thought it was The Pirates of Penzance with a different title (The Pirate Movie), but it's actually something completely different from the previous year. But at least my brief research revealed that the movie I was after finally did get a DVD release two years ago, so it's not a complete loss.

Great day of 50% off Goodwill sales. Did hit a couple flea markets too along the way. Found a dream booth at a flea market with hundreds of games... until I looked at the prices. I was bummed out all day just because they were nuts. Examples: PS1 systems $25, N64 Systems $40, NES Mario/Duck $5, all PS3 titles $35+, PS2 $25+ each, XBOX1 $15 - $30 each, SNES $15+ even Mario World 1, N64 $20+ each.... it was admittedly some good titles, but in all seriousness, they were easily 200% or more above eBay... and NO deals or discounts. (Why even bother to have a booth? No one was buying.)

Had a pretty good day at the flea market my fiancée and I like to go to:

$40 - Sega Saturn Model 1 w/1 controller + 3 CIB PS1 games (PO'ed, Starwinder, Treasures of the Deep) + SMS R-Type CIB

$1 - King's Field PS1 (just loose disc)

$2 - six VCS manuals, all in great shape (including Mountain King, Squeeze Box)

$20 - two SMS 3D games (Blade Eagle 3D and Poseidon Wars 3D), both CIB, plus a bonus N64 game (1080 Snowboarding) (this came from the same dealer I got my Vectrex from; great guy with great prices on more offbeat stuff)

$6 - Stellar-Fire (Sega CD) CIB in a clean case + Genesis Lost Vikings loose (I had an empty case & manual waiting at home)

free - Game Gear Joe Montana Football

Plus some cheap jazz DVDs ($2 each, all sealed) and classical music CDs (less than 50 cents each, thanks to a very nice lady who cut me a great deal).

I probably paid a bit too much for the Saturn package, but I've been wanting one and didn't think I'd be likely to find one in person anytime soon, so it beats paying shipping. I had a scare when I got it home and it wouldn't boot anything at first, but after I cleaned the lens with 91% isopropyl it started working fine, and we played a few rounds of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Unfortunately I think the AV jack may have a bad audio connection, but it could be the RF cable; in the meantime I've ordered a Saturn AV cable to find out for sure.

Also PO'ed is in sub-par condition and may have disc damage -- that was probably a mistake to grab it but I'm drawn to those 3DO ports, especially in longbox. OTOH, I was thrilled and grateful to get those two SMS 3D games for only $10 each, they're normally much more than that.

Picked up Arcade's Greatest Hits the Atari Collection 1 for the Saturn thinking I needed that one CIB. The naked one I have is actually the Midway collection, so now I have an extra CIB copy of the Atari collection for the Saturn. The disc needs to be buffed out.