IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Unfortunately not much market for Laserdiscs anymore. Other than the odd rare disc most are worth about what you paid for those.

Another Goodwill in my area has a stack of CEDs they're trying to get $8 a pop for.. funny what you find sometimes.

I see a lot of these as well. What I really need to find at the GW is a LD or CED player for all the ones I have somehow collected over the years. I recently got all four CED discs of the Star Wars trilogy for a buck a piece.

I'd say the lesson learned is, don't think of your movie collections as investments, because a better format will always be around the corner. Personally I still prefer discs in case the Internet goes down or some company decides they don't want to play with Netflix anymore. Blu-rays are already getting dirt cheap for old classics, more so if you play the sales or buy them used, and of course the DVD format becoming an also-ran just makes DVD's even cheaper! Bad news for any would-be investors, but great news for movie fans.

Blurays are falling in prices, especially older titles.. that's for sure.

To give an example of the extreme disparity in pricing.. I paid $120 for Pulp Fiction on Laserdisc back in whenever.. '95? The Bluray with the exact same extras (Quentin even mentions Laserdisc in the one, lol) was.. $7. And that's in High Definition.

But as you said what can you do. I still buy some movies but nowhere near what i did on LD or DVD. There's just no point really.

I see a lot of these as well. What I really need to find at the GW is a LD or CED player for all the ones I have somehow collected over the years. I recently got all four CED discs of the Star Wars trilogy for a buck a piece.

The big problem with CED discs is if they've been out in the heat they will probably not play correctly. The dust bakes into the discs and the will skip.. a lot. Given that you'll not find a CED that hasn't spent time in a Garage or Flea Market at this point makes it tough. Plus if you find a player you gotta make sure the stylus still has life left to it or that's another headache. It is a cool format though.. tell somebody you have star wars on vinyl.. no, not the soundtrack the movie. Kinda funny.

I did find a CED player at a thrift once. $5. Got it home.. had a Laserdisc lodged in it, otherwise played fine. Well, as fine as they play.

Picked up the dual flight stick for the PS1, model SCPH 1110. It cost me $30. Despite my recent experiences, I do plan to clean it all up, test it, and keep it. I'll post pics when I get it cleaned up.

I have TWO of these and either neither of them work, or I can't find a game that works with it well. I'd planned to give one away with a box of "not" crap and keep one, but have not had the time beyond testing and not having any fun with them. Any info or suggestions appreciated.

I have TWO of these and either neither of them work, or I can't find a game that works with it well. I'd planned to give one away with a box of "not" crap and keep one, but have not had the time beyond testing and not having any fun with them. Any info or suggestions appreciated.

Try 'em with the original Colony Wars and see what happens. Any game that supports the Dual Analog controller should also work. Some games won't have the logo on the back of them. I've got perhaps one game with the logo on it for the Dual Analog pad, but I know Colony Wars has the flight stick logo. Colony Wars 2 may work with it also. I vaguely recall using green mode on the Dual Analog pad to play that.

EDIT: Colony Wars has both logos. One says "Analog Joystick Compatible" and the other says "Analog Controller Compatible".

Edited by shadow460

I don't feel like posting a pic, but I found a loose copy of Mr. Do!'s Castle for the 2600 for 5 bucks at an antique store.

Chris

Funny - I found the same game for the same price at an antique store about 6 or 7 years ago. I think I ended up selling it for $35 or so back then. Anyway, great find in the wild!

There are about 30 games or so that work. Support has to be built in. They cannot be used interchangeably for the dual sticks. If you can get your hands on Namco museum 4, Assault works with them.

If you can get one of them to work, let me know as I may have interest. Of course, you will find this out and want to sell when I am in between paychecks... much like my situation now with the SGM for the colecovision.

Picked up a couple of Activision catalogs, plus books for Spider Fighter and Sears's 2600 Pac-Man. Also picked up Interactive CD sampler vol 9 for the PS1 (watch me already have that, though). This week I've had one shipment come in, too. It was Frankenstien's Monster with the instructions, which I promptly beat with a 3000+ score for the first time in my life.

Finally found something decent...got some computer stuff.

A dual-layer DVD+/-R/RW/etc/whatever drive for $5, was pretty surprising, usually it's all just really old 16x CD-ROM drives. It had a rattle in it, so I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it or not, but it seems to be working okay. I opened it up and found a chunk of a CD in there. It won't eject without a paperclip, but it plays DVDs okay. I need to get some DL DVDs and find out if it burns okay.

A Microsoft Trackball Explorer (optical) for $3. I've got a trackball on one of my laptops that I like (though it requires constant cleaning), but this one is kind of weird to get used to...you use the trackball with your fingers instead of your thumb, and you have to use the left/right buttons and the scroll wheel with your thumb. I also need to disable the extra two buttons, because they're bound to back and forward for the Internet, and that's not something I want happening every time I try to rest my ring and pinky. At least it's very difficult to accidentally hit the LMB, I guess.

A Dell Vostro 1510 laptop for $50. Probably a bit of a gamble, but I was feeling lucky (and I'm pretty sure my current laptop gave its final death rattle). They usually only have worthless old Win95 laptops for this price, but this seems like a pretty decent machine.

...if it works, that is...no battery or adapter to test it with. Everything else seems intact though, including the HDD and two RAM chips.

...and the old Polydor pressing of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on CD B)

There's another thrift that has a UPS and a SuperDisk drive (plus a box of disks) for dirt cheap that I'm thinking about going back for...I have no idea what I'd do with a SuperDisk drive (besides the regular floppy backwards compatability), but the UPS might be a good idea, if it works.

@Asaki: I have a Vostro 1000. It's a different, older platform than you 1510, but it's a very capable machine with several upgrades added. I'd stay away from the SuperDisk. Once the laser goes out of alignment, they are trash. The Misubishi drives were a little more reliable, but not much.

Picked this guy up last week. It's an HP 200LX Palmtop Computer, 100% DOS 5.0 compatible. It's basically being used as a portable gaming device/TV remote control. :)

Man, if that thing had a good color screen...

Is there no way to halve the horizontal resolution?