IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well on the upside I got a fantastic loveseat at the other thrift, and a bunch of goodies! :D :D :D I think I did better than I could have at goodwill.

$149 Ashley Furniture Eli - Cocoa Dbl Rec Loveseat w/Console (built October 2009)

Lady and the Tramp Blu Ray $12

Crash Nitro PS2 Minty CIB $5

Voltron Coloring Book 25 cents

My Fair Lady LP $1

Fiddler on the Roof Double LP $1

Phil Harris What I Like About the South LP $1

Ratchet and Clank GH PSP CIB $2.50

GameBoy Games Lot $40:

Gauntlet II

Pokemon Red

Zelda Seasons

Mega Man II

Arcade Classic 2 (Centipede / Millipede)

Super Mario Bros Deluxe

Super Mario Land

Rolan's Curse

Kirby's Dream Land 2

DSC04878.JPG

• Like 2

Still nothing to report =| I can't believe how dry it's been around here lately...

Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Quendan 2, sealed for $5.99.

Wow. I would've jumped right on that if I'd seen it around here.

Actually...I would've stared at it for a good three minutes before I realized what was actually going on.

I found something totally useless, and yet totally cool in that totally uncool kind of way, so of course I had to buy it...

post-6115-0-58867600-1352068853_thumb.jpg

Anybody who collects or even just browses 8-tracks knows that it's darn near impossible to find anything that isn't country and western, or gospel. And whenever you do have the luck to find something else, it's usually obscure disco, or should-have-been-obscure Barbra Streisand or Barry Manilow. Here we have a stack of good '70s music on 8-track, including tapes by the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce, the Carpenters, Chicago, and my personal favorite, the Alan Parsons Project. Even the disco tapes aren't that obscure, with some good stuff by Herb Alpert and Walter Murphy. I don't even own an 8-track player, but I figured this collection complete with its nice '70s faux-leather-and-red-velvet case was worth it just for the novelty, even if I never played the tapes.

I should mention the case was full when I bought it. This is what remained after I removed the country, gospel, Barbra Streisand and Barry Manilow tapes.

• Like 5

I found something totally useless, and yet totally cool in that totally uncool kind of way, so of course I had to buy it...

post-6115-0-58867600-1352068853_thumb.jpg

Anybody who collects or even just browses 8-tracks knows that it's darn near impossible to find anything that isn't country and western, or gospel. And whenever you do have the luck to find something else, it's usually obscure disco, or should-have-been-obscure Barbra Streisand or Barry Manilow. Here we have a stack of good '70s music on 8-track, including tapes by the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce, the Carpenters, Chicago, and my personal favorite, the Alan Parsons Project. Even the disco tapes aren't that obscure, with some good stuff by Herb Alpert and Walter Murphy. I don't even own an 8-track player, but I figured this collection complete with its nice '70s faux-leather-and-red-velvet case was worth it just for the novelty, even if I never played the tapes.

I should mention the case was full when I bought it. This is what remained after I removed the country, gospel, Barbra Streisand and Barry Manilow tapes.

I actually forgot that I picked up an 8-track player (at the same time as the Loveseat above) because it was still in the car. It was $10 (had a record player on it too) Panasonic. The record player doesn't spin yet. I don't even have ONE 8 track tape to try that aspect yet. LOL, you got tapes, and I got a player at the same time.

I was able to pick up a few items this weekend at the thrift store/yard sales:

Stryper Live in Japan & Stryper In the Beginning VHS tapes - .25 each

Super Rack-O (sealed) 1983 - $2.50

PS1 Ready to Rumble & Big Hurt - $1.50 each

KOTOR II complete - $2.75

Sam and Max Hit the Road complete (3.5 disks) - $2.75

post-30739-0-78453300-1352088342_thumb.jpg

Eichner 5.25 disk holder (new) - $2.75

Atari lot - $5

post-30739-0-93063000-1352088409_thumb.jpg

Laser Discs - .50 each

post-30739-0-22505000-1352088463_thumb.jpg

not too bad for a dry area. I almost fell over when I found that Sam and Max. Complete Lucasarts games are hard to come by in the wild.

• Like 5

Not a thrift find but interesting enough. Got it on ebay for $10 + shipping. I've seen these joysticks only a couple of times in 20+ years of collecting and both times they were 9-pin Atari sticks (believe they had an adapter for Apple II's as well) but this was the first time I've seen a version for the Coco. Works great and a very interesting little joystick.

post-2493-0-17694000-1352159071_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that Sam & Max is a sweet find. And I'd much rather have that than the CD version. OG all the way!

Chris

I want that version of the box but with the CD simply because of my experience with floppy deaths. I'm not saying CDs will last much longer (if you look at how 3do games are deteriorating). I go for PC CD unless I can get it SEALED on floppy. It doesn't matter if it's dead in a sealed box (if you never open it then it's still new, and hence has a collector value for being new regardless of the fact that it may or may not work in there).

I'm not saying CDs will last much longer (if you look at how 3do games are deteriorating).

Have you seen a lot of bad/rotting/flaking 3DO games? I've only gotten one that was totally trashy, and oddly enough it still played. Most of my Sega CD games have been OK, and the ones that haven't, I can't rule out poor handling.

I want that version of the box but with the CD simply because of my experience with floppy deaths. I'm not saying CDs will last much longer (if you look at how 3do games are deteriorating). I go for PC CD unless I can get it SEALED on floppy. It doesn't matter if it's dead in a sealed box (if you never open it then it's still new, and hence has a collector value for being new regardless of the fact that it may or may not work in there).

I will try to load this and see if it works here in a day or so. I'll let you know. I've had about a 99% success rate with old 3.5 inch DOS disks so I'm hopeful.

It could also be my luck with dust and the drives themselves. I had a Sony Mavica floppy camera for a few years and it seemed like I had dead floppies all the time.

The metal is flaking worse on most 3do games than on others in my collection. I bought a metallic silver marker to test a theory. According to the "how it's made" first episode on netflix the data is in the plastic. I always thought it was in the metal. If it is in the plastic and simply needs the metal to reflect off and bounce back, a high reflective mark over a pinhole may "repair" a disc. Will try it and let you know.

I was able to pick up a few items this weekend at the thrift store/yard sales:

Stryper Live in Japan & Stryper In the Beginning VHS tapes - .25 each

Super Rack-O (sealed) 1983 - $2.50

PS1 Ready to Rumble & Big Hurt - $1.50 each

KOTOR II complete - $2.75

Sam and Max Hit the Road complete (3.5 disks) - $2.75

post-30739-0-78453300-1352088342_thumb.jpg

Eichner 5.25 disk holder (new) - $2.75

Atari lot - $5

post-30739-0-93063000-1352088409_thumb.jpg

Laser Discs - .50 each

post-30739-0-22505000-1352088463_thumb.jpg

not too bad for a dry area. I almost fell over when I found that Sam and Max. Complete Lucasarts games are hard to come by in the wild.

Hey if you ever want to unload those Stryper tapes for a reasonable price, let me know. I am a big Stryper fan, especialy their earlier works.

• Like 1

Been an interesting year. I've had little luck with game systems, but GREAT luck with vintage computer systems. Here's my latest pickups from Craigslist ... all for $50.

Apple //e with A2M2010 Monitor

Apple Printer

2 Boxed TI-99 Computers

TI Expansion Box

Over 20 Cartridges (including Burgertime!)

Data Cassette player

Lots of paperwork, magazines, manuals and disks.

Great find, but I'm still bummed as I BARELY missed out on picking up a NeXT Cube Computer from him for $20 (someone else was faster)!

post-31049-0-21501900-1352226061_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-11788100-1352226072_thumb.jpg

post-31049-0-09335400-1352226080_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 5

Yeah if Sam and Max were on CD I'd be begging for it. That's on the ole want list.

You near Half Price Books? Sam & Max along with 3 other games(all on CD) are available for 7 bucks. I picked it up and haven't even gotten around to playing it yet. Iron Storm was terrible.

Edit: whoops I didn't see that you preferred the non-CD version.

Edited by S1500

It could also be my luck with dust and the drives themselves. I had a Sony Mavica floppy camera for a few years and it seemed like I had dead floppies all the time.

The metal is flaking worse on most 3do games than on others in my collection. I bought a metallic silver marker to test a theory. According to the "how it's made" first episode on netflix the data is in the plastic. I always thought it was in the metal. If it is in the plastic and simply needs the metal to reflect off and bounce back, a high reflective mark over a pinhole may "repair" a disc. Will try it and let you know.

That's true. The label site is the side that if damaged could ruin you're whole cd. When putting a disk on the side, never put it label down away. So you're theory could work, depending on the way the data is reflected.

Very interesting about CDs! I'd always thought the data was stored in the aluminum, but it looks like you're right, it's in the polycarbonate. If you're able to successfully repair one, let us know -- I'd imagine the reflectivity has to be very exact, but maybe it can be done.

What about CDRs? Is the dye layer integrated into the reflective layer?