IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I spent a little more than I earned in sales today at the Midwest City Video Game Expo. I picked up another 2600 with about a dozen games and their manuals for $27. The console is in good shape, but a couple of the games are just dead. The Centipede comic book was in that lot, too.

I also picked up Star Wars: The Arcade Game ($10) for the 5200, for which I have a box and instructions. Looks like it's gonna be CIB now! Other things I grabbed were 2600 carts of Sprintmaster for $5, Tapeworm for $5, and Star Trek for $5.

Six or eight vendors were there for the expo, even though we had room for twice that. Most of what was present was NES and SNES era stuff, with some N64 and Atari thrown in. At least two people wanted to make offers on the LaserActive. One person actually did offer me $250 for it. Quite honestly, that's quite the lowball offer. I politely declined. The LaserActive was there for display only as it is.

Pit, the card game, for my friends, so I don't have to keep bringing over my mom's set. That game sounds so boring, but it's actually pretty fun. This one comes with a bell...just what we need @_@.

I love that game. My family and I have been playing that since the 80's all on the same set. It has held up well considering how fast paced the game can be, but the bear card is starting to show it's age and give itself away.

picked this up at a local fleamarket this weekend 12-15-12

magnavox cd-i 550 -$10

various sealed dreamcast games -$5 each

Super Mario World in box ( never played still in the plastic bag in box with manuals and ads) $5

Super Mario Kart - $3

www.thevideogamecollector.com

post-30831-0-30843400-1355714384_thumb.jpg

Dang......

Several of those items are on my want list. The CDi, The SMW CIB are probably the best scores of the week on here.

picked this up at a local fleamarket this weekend 12-15-12

magnavox cd-i 550 -$10

various sealed dreamcast games -$5 each

Super Mario World in box ( never played still in the plastic bag in box with manuals and ads) $5

Super Mario Kart - $3

www.thevideogamecollector.com

post-30831-0-30843400-1355714384_thumb.jpg

Was that a East County Swap Meet? One of the OKRGS vendors had a CD-i that looked like that with a $60 price tag on it. I don't remember if they booted it up there or not. I was probably busy nitpicking over my Atari table or watching Forrest Gump when they sold it.

I sold several systems out there this weekend.

Not game related, but I was excited nonetheless. I was helping my sister clear out her roommate's garage so she could have a new dryer installed and she gave me a Sanyo VTC5000 Betamax recorder and a shoe box full of tapes which she had sitting around. Apparently it is in need of minor repair, so I guess I'll look at it when I'm doing repairs on my CED player and typewriter. It's the same model I already own, but with a different remote.

Sanyo VTC5000 Betamax Recorder

• Like 3

Was that a East County Swap Meet? One of the OKRGS vendors had a CD-i that looked like that with a $60 price tag on it. I don't remember if they booted it up there or not. I was probably busy nitpicking over my Atari table or watching Forrest Gump when they sold it.

I sold several systems out there this weekend.

actually i am from jersey picked this up at one of our local fleamarkets in town. it was actually in a box with some old dj equipment.

I had a huge find this week. Again, it's not games related, but it's probably the biggest score I've ever gotten, so I'm going to post it.

I found a lot of 2000 8 Tracks and several carrying cases for $80 on Craigslist. My buddy and I went halfsies on the lot and I walked away with a cool thousand tapes for $40. I'm going to use some of the more worthless tapes to experiment with recording on a reel to reel recorder, because I hear you can use 8 Track ribbon and it will work.

If anybody wants 8 Tracks, I'm your guy.

8 Tracks

8 Tracks [Carrying Cases]

8 Tracks [My Half]

• Like 3

I had a huge find this week. Again, it's not games related, but it's probably the biggest score I've ever gotten, so I'm going to post it.

I found a lot of 2000 8 Tracks and several carrying cases for $80 on Craigslist. My buddy and I went halfsies on the lot and I walked away with a cool thousand tapes for $40. I'm going to use some of the more worthless tapes to experiment with recording on a reel to reel recorder, because I hear you can use 8 Track ribbon and it will work.

If anybody wants 8 Tracks, I'm your guy.

Any Black Sabbath or Kiss?

Please told me you bought this out of a 1978 Chevy van.

Nope. I got them from some guy and his dad up in the Santa Cruz mountains who had stored them in one of their many sheds for years. They bought them from a record which was going out of business because they had an old station wagon with an 8 Track player, but it turned out that the player didn't work, so they stored them.

The father had a great saying: You can never have too many sheds.

Any Black Sabbath or Kiss?

The only 8-track I have is Sabbath's Paranoid, my friend gave it to me when he got rid of his 8-track player. I have no way of even playing it =) Or I guess I should say, from the stories I've heard: I have no machine that will eat it for me.

• Like 1

I bought a big box of about 50 2600 carts for $35 from Craigslist. They are all really filthy. But I found this one, which appears to be some kind of clone/hack of River Raid. Harbor Escape by Panda. 6+ rarity on Atari Age, but what does that mean as far as worth?

post-28704-0-36327500-1356143086_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickR

great score at gw got an atari 2600 for 5 bucks and they had a 3rd party snes controller taped up with it musta thought it was an atari controller??, got a few nes games for 99 cents and got the gamecube gameboy adapter from gamestop for 10 bucks didnt think that was to bad of a price.

post-32946-0-47935400-1356225305_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My girlfriend gifted us for our anniversary with an overnight weekend trip to Ventura. I am very lucky to be with her in many ways, including the fact that she doesn't mind hitting thrift stores, which we did in Ventura, Oxnard and Santa Barbara. :)

CIMG4088_zps031df859.jpg

These were various Goodwill finds: the Xbox Star Wars games were $1 each, PS1 Rampage Through Time was $.75 (that Goodwill was having a 50% off sale). PS2 Mister Mosquito was $3.99 and DC Resident Evil 2 was $2.99.

CIMG4089_zps846b3e8e.jpg

More Goodwill...this one was also having 50% off everything so Final Fantasy II, FF III, Secret of Evermore and Donkey Kong Country 2 ended being $1.99 each.

CIMG4091_zps2dd3099a.jpg

PS2 Suikoden III was $4.99 and PS1 Aquanaut's Holiday was $4.95 at hole in the wall thrifts.

CIMG4094_zpsa10976a7.jpg

This was the last find heading home, at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift in Oxnard. I found the case on a shelf with the manual and the map sitting under it. No disc to be found. I was going to buy it anyway, but decided to check the CD area that I had scanned before just in case. There was a pile of 3 loose discs that I hadn't looked through before and I figured what were the odds. Turned out the odds were pretty good. :) Paid a grand total of $.99.

• Like 4

N64, 2 controllers & hookups + Cruisn USA & Wheel of Fortune.

Slim ps2, 1 gamestop controller, Sony Memory Card, Madcatz RF, original power cable + Gran Turismo ps1, Need for speed Underground, Need for Speed Pro Street, Guitar Hero Aerosmith & Spider man Friend or Foe

Paid $35 for the whole lot.

photo3-1.jpg

• Like 3