IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Hey, I have NO doubts that orangest finds that stuff. I do to, just not as frequently. Two weeks ago I found an item for $4 that I sold for $92 this morning on Amazon. It happens. His area just has more people. Man, though, seriously... i dream about finding as much all at once. The part that gets me is how consistent his good finds are. It's like it was for me in the late 90s early 2000s in the Washington DC subburb areas. I could spit and hit classic games for a buck that were worth $10 - $30 on eBay/Amazon.

I'm lucky to have a good amount of thrifts around where I live (there's a Goodwill, SA and 2 independent thrifts within 2 blocks of each other on Artesia in Redondo Beach) plus on the way to work. There's just a lot of crap in Southern California. :) Speaking of...

CIMG4102_zps8453ee6c.jpg

These were courtesy of an Out of the Closet thrift. The Dark Eye is shrinkwrapped, and the seals are still intact on Alice, though there is a bit of wear on the sides. $5 each.

I'm lucky to have a good amount of thrifts around where I live (there's a Goodwill, SA and 2 independent thrifts within 2 blocks of each other on Artesia in Redondo Beach) plus on the way to work. There's just a lot of crap in Southern California. :) Speaking of...

CIMG4102_zps8453ee6c.jpg

These were courtesy of an Out of the Closet thrift. The Dark Eye is shrinkwrapped, and the seals are still intact on Alice, though there is a bit of wear on the sides. $5 each.

Scarey games from presumably gay former owners.

Something just wrong about Alice with a knife coming at my "dark eye."

*covers butt and runs over the hill past the Popeye's Chicken.*

• Like 1

I believe you. Look at the pricing sticker on the label for DKC. Typical thrift behavior.

Picked up a Game Boy Advance SP and a first party power brick for $10. The switch beside the cartridge port was rusted completely apart, so we may have fried a few GBA games trying to get it to work at Vintage Stock. I told 'em to try with commons, but they insisted on some Metroid title. RIP Metroid, I guess.

The unit is stuck in DMG/GBC mode. Since I have no GBA games, it suits me fine. I purchased a new battery for it and played away. Later I'll look into a replacement reed switch to get it back to full function.

I found something truly odd today. It is a case-modded Atari 2600. Someone put an itx form factor PC motherboard in an Atari 2600 case. They did a really nice job -- even added hinges to open it up easily. The Atari power switch is wired to turn the PC on. There is even a laptop DVD drive mounted under the mb, it pops out the front the the case.

Unfortunately, it is wired with a power plug that I didn't get. The plug looks like a 5200 power connector. I'm not sure what the polarity/voltage/amps of the AC adapter should be. But I was able to plug in an external ATX power supply to test. It works! The hard drive was bad (which is probably why it was discarded I assume). I plugged in an old drive I had laying around, and it booted right up. VIA C3 1.0Ghz processor.

If I posted this thing in the Marketplace forum, does anyone think it would have interest?

That doesn't make sense, unless they built it and then sold it to someone who was computer illiterate.

It appears that it was used as a HTPC (judging by the added optical in/out). My theory is that the hard drive went bad, they were already unhappy with the performance (since it was a few years old), and threw it out.

I think it probably needs a laptop power adapter. If only I knew which one. It would be kind of cool to keep just because it looks so good.

At my local Salvation Army I bought the Limited Edition Widescreen version of the Empire Strikes Back with the "Theatrical Version" transfered from the Laserdisc release, from what I've read, on the second DVD for $2.99. For the N64 I also snagged Doom 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, and Goldeneye for $1.99 each. I was ecstatic when I saw this all since I live in a small area and this is the closest to an "amazing" find I'll probably ever find.

I also added Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage to my PS1 collection today. A black label version was on display, but Game X Change tried to sell me a green label instead. The person who pulled it from the back told me they were "the same thing".

I don't think so. I told them as much, so one of the other employees put a halt to that sale real quick. They sold me the black label copy. It has some small scratches in the CDs artwork but I did not see any of the foil layer missing. It's also got the metallic cover to it. The thing cost me $20.

At my local Salvation Army I bought the Limited Edition Widescreen version of the Empire Strikes Back with the "Theatrical Version" transfered from the Laserdisc release, from what I've read, on the second DVD for $2.99.

Keep an eye on that one, last time I checked, those were worth some serious cash (though hardly deserving of it). Lucas recalled all of the DVDs shortly before the Blus got released.

Maybe they'll go back to sane person prices some day, maybe they won't. Maybe they have already, I don't care to check =)

Keep an eye on that one, last time I checked, those were worth some serious cash (though hardly deserving of it). Lucas recalled all of the DVDs shortly before the Blus got released.

Maybe they'll go back to sane person prices some day, maybe they won't. Maybe they have already, I don't care to check =)

Yep. That's the main reason why I was excited about this. I looked into it about a month or so ago because I wanted to watch the original versions and found they were going for a lot of money, being just DVDs, on eBay and Amazon. I even thought about getting the trilogy on Laserdisc and buying a player.

Unfortunately, if you want to watch the originals, fan preservation bootlegs are still the way to go. Though most of them are laserdisc preservations, so maybe your idea wasn't too far off...

Though there's these 16mm preservations by this guy named Puggo that I like an awful lot ;)

First finds of the year...

CIMG4127_zpsd42f0093.jpg

GameCube Worms 3D, X-Men Legends II, Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life and PS2 FF VII Dirge of Cerberus-$5.99 each at Goodwill.

CIMG4128_zpseb66751a.jpg

GameCube Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (missing manual), LOZ: Collector's Edition were $4.99 each at Salvation Army. PS2 Klonoa 2 was a different SA find for $2.99.

CIMG4129_zpsa8864eeb.jpg

These were $1 each at a hole in the wall thrift. I presume they are (p)review copies; the discs look like standard PC releases. EDIT: A friendly fellow at DP informed me these were part of an official release.

Edited by orangest

Flea market finds today...

CIMG4130_zpsd85861f5.jpg

Xbox Guy Game and PS2 Ghost in the Shell were $4 each. PS1 Spider and Reloaded were $2 each. Star Ocean Second Story was $3; unfortunately the discs have Hollywood Video stickers on them. BTW, is this 2 CD slimcase version an official release, or is Hollywood Video's doing?

CIMG4131_zps0cf6161d.jpg

Criterion Two Lane Blacktop DVD-$2

Electric Company Book-$1. It's kind of an academic outline of what the show was going to be about and how it was going to teach, filled with pictures and B&W animation stills from 5 test programs made during the summer of 1971.

CIMG4132_zps2eb8223e.jpg

2 shrinkwrapped copies of StarTropics-$4 each. They both have wear around the edges; one of them has a couple of tears in the shrinkwrap.