IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

That looks a lot like my Video Commander RF switchbox, which also features beautiful woodgrain siding and abundance of inputs. Great score!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/162073-phaxdas-blog-some-good-genesis-stuff-another-sega-cd-2600-and-a-cool-switcher-unit-from-craigs/

That one looks so cool. i'm going to keep an eye out for it on eBay. I love how these old electronics were so sturdily built.

At this rate I'll never get around to taking the pictures I was planning on, so I'll just give words.

The thrift store I bought a stack of CD's from a few weekends back continues to trickle out whatever amazing source of music they tapped into, and my past two trips have also ended with an armload of discs. Whoever (or whatever store) disposed of this stuff seemed to have almost exactly my music tastes, as there has been plenty of classic rock, CCM, old country, and a good helping of '80s to go through. Several price tags on last weekend's CD's were dated the same day, so it seems the treasure chest hasn't been emptied yet. I both anticipate and dread going back next weekend...

One of the Goodwills also had a fresh stack of 8-tracks to go through. I don't have a player, but since finding a case with a good number of classic rock 8-tracks a while back, I figured I'd build a small collection of stuff you don't normally see on 8-track. And sure enough, Goodwill's offerings only proved my point. Country, country, country, gospel, country, country, country... oh hey, Neil Diamond. But he's close enough to country that he doesn't count. Gospel, country, country, country... a-ha! Dire Straits! That was the only 8-track in a batch of about 30 that wasn't country, gospel or Neil Diamond.

I also hit up the Houston Game Over Video Games this weekend, to spend some birthday money. How sad is it when you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you look around and realize you own most everything in the store you would want? The curse of being a collector, I guess. But I did find a small handful of games to grab, reasonably priced. They also had a Cosmic Commuter, one of the four Activision 2600 games I don't yet have, but after seeing the $80 price tag, I decided that one could wait.

Edited by FujiSkunk

are you immature enough to chuckle like Beavis and Butthead at the fact that your Medal of Honor set is the Hardened Edition?

I did actually smirk a little bit... :-D

CIMG4531_zpsa75f01f7.jpg

Wii New SMB was $14.99 at a Goodwill and Vagrant Story was $5.99. at a different Goodwill. Tragically, the game disc and manual are missing from VS, but I still figured it was worth picking up for the case and previews disc. The 2 Star Wars Force Unleashed games were $5.99 each at the same Goodwill I found the other 360 games at. Someone or some store must have had a lot of their collection donated because there were many 360 games to be found. As well as this,..

CIMG4543_zps1050ab29.jpg

At $59.99, at the very high end of what I like to spend at Goodwill, but still below going price and not a bad find in the wild.

• Like 1

CIMG4568_zpsf7af4492.jpg

The Salvation Army nearest to me have been bundling their games lately, $6.99 for 6 PS2 games or $5.99 for 5 Xbox games and like so. In this case, I picked up a sealed copy of My Japanese Coach along with Let's Yoga! and Let's Pilates! for $3.99. Finding out that My Japanese Coach was a sought-after title was almost as good as finally being able to properly Pilate on the go. ;)

Not game related, but still a cool find. Nabbed this metal detector for $8. Took it to the beach on the river up the road from here to test it out. Works pretty good. Found your usual buried trash like cans and bottle tops, but also found a new hot wheels car buried :P But for $8, why not? It runs off of two 9v batteries.

B

post-29567-0-93943500-1371730651_thumb.jpg

post-29567-0-76766800-1371730670_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigbee99
  • Like 2

Wow happy day. Now before I get into this, granted it's a deal on it's own but the principle behind the story is worth every penny and some. I went to a yardsale listing snes, nes, and genesis scheduled for 9:00. Got there at like 8:31 got held up by a school bus. Anyhow a guy got there like a minute before me. So we both were looking at the stuff at the same time.

I asked him if there was anything good. He said he was interested in buying it all. I said "me too". Now before I go any further and reveal future events this is a sleazeball who back two years ago screwed me hard on a ps2 mod. He owned a gamestore and does flea market price gauging. Here is a thread back last year I told that original story in. Post 26

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193734-any-retro-collectors-in-the-upstate-ny-area/page__st__25__hl__+icemanxp300?do=findComment&comment=2465905

Now not sure if he remembered me or not, god I hope so. I turned him into the BBB and went to the police on him (James Inman) lol. Now back to the sale. While we were both looking at the stuff he asked the lady what she wanted for everything. She said $60. He said I'll take it. I then replied "well can't we bid on it?" The other lady said well it's early so it's only fair.

I then looked over everything a bit more and waited a few minutes. I could see he was getting mad. I then said $75. He came back over pissed and asked me what I wanted. I said everything. He told the lady he just drove an hour to get there so he was a bit peeved. I knew he was lying but didn't say anything. He then surpised me and said $80. I waited a few minutes and the lady said well I think I'm going to have to sell it to him. I said ok but I was going to offer $90. LOL I was slow rolling that sob on purpose to make him sweat! He got pissed and said sell it to him :)

So now that my day is complete and I got $200 of games/systems for $90 and pissed off the guy who ripped me off a few years ago I am super stoked right now!!!

100_3784_zps7421a72c.jpg

• Like 10

Wow happy day. Now before I get into this, granted it's a deal on it's own but the principle behind the story is worth every penny and some. I went to a yardsale listing snes, nes, and genesis scheduled for 9:00. Got there at like 8:31 got held up by a school bus. Anyhow a guy got there like a minute before me. So we both were looking at the stuff at the same time.

I asked him if there was anything good. He said he was interested in buying it all. I said "me too". Now before I go any further and reveal future events this is a sleazeball who back two years ago screwed me hard on a ps2 mod. He owned a gamestore and does flea market price gauging. Here is a thread back last year I told that original story in. Post 26

http://atariage.com/...00#entry2465905

Now not sure if he remembered me or not, god I hope so. I turned him into the BBB and went to the police on him (James Inman) lol. Now back to the sale. While we were both looking at the stuff he asked the lady what she wanted for everything. She said $60. He said I'll take it. I then replied "well can't we bid on it?" The other lady said well it's early so it's only fair.

I then looked over everything a bit more and waited a few minutes. I could see he was getting mad. I then said $75. He came back over pissed and asked me what I wanted. I said everything. He told the lady he just drove an hour to get there so he was a bit peeved. I knew he was lying but didn't say anything. He then surpised me and said $80. I waited a few minutes and the lady said well I think I'm going to have to sell it to him. I said ok but I was going to offer $90. LOL I was slow rolling that sob on purpose to make him sweat! He got pissed and said sell it to him :)

So now that my day is complete and I got $200 of games/systems for $90 and pissed off the guy who ripped me off a few years ago I am super stoked right now!!!

Great story ... always nice to see people get what they deserve. Karma is a wonderful thing ...

• Like 4

Almost left Goodwill empty-handed the other day, but decided to take a peek in their glass case and saw the corner of Resident Evil: Mercenaries for the 3DS peeking out from beneath the shovelware. Wish they would've had more copies so I could play coop with my friends, because it was only $4.55 =(

Also grabbed two DVDs: Thumb Wars and the two-disc Indiana Jones IV.

• Like 1

Holy cats! I've got to get out and hit more flea markets and garage sales. You guys pick up all kinds of cool stuff. Best I got lately was Xevious for the NES for $2. I've not seen much in the way of good retro games out there including in our Goodwill's and Salvation Army's. I think "that guy" has been getting there before me.

25$ at value village, best find Iv had there in a while, though its not really a "find" as I have 3 friends who work there and let me know when stuff shows up, though they don't work in pricing, so while I get a heads up, I never get breaks on prices, Id say still works out for the best.

post-35147-0-09649800-1372219785_thumb.jpg

post-35147-0-88279200-1372219789_thumb.jpg

• Like 3