IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Whoops!

I see jumper packs at thrifts sometimes and I feel like I'd be doing them a favor if I just threw them straight into the dumpster for them.

There are some games that crash if you have the expansion in.... Those jumper packs aren't totally worthless. Especially since a lot of people probably just threw theirs out when they upgraded.

My understanding is that the Xbox controller pinout is similar to a USB port, albeit with a change in shape. Would it be possible to make that light gun compatible with a home computer? Long shot, but I gotta wonder about these things.

(It'd probably make more sense to just use a Wiimote and a Bluetooth connection...)

From my understanding the Xbox controller is more or less exactly the same as USB. There's a little information on it here if you want to alter your controller to be a permanent USB controller. What I would recommend, though, is this little converter, so that you don't have to sacrifice an Xbox controller. I bought a couple of them and they work great. Now you can use the same controller for your Xbox and your PC.

last months pickups:

PS2

Butt-ugly martians

Final Fantasy x2

Rayman revolution

Grooverider

Tarzan freeride

All 25 euro cent each.

Psp

Activision hits remixed

Crazy taxi farewares

Buy 2 get one free, 6.50 euro.

Wii

Ghost squad

Indiana Jones and the staff of kings

5 euro each

Neogeo pocket

Metal slug 2nd mission

Dark Arms

Puzzle link

Puzzle link 2

Card fighters clash

Puzzle bobble mini

Shipped from the us, all brand new for 26.99 dollar including shipping.

Tomy electric pinngg ball flipper

2.50 euro

Simon says loose

post-5654-0-36513700-1375302835_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-65523500-1375302928_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nabbed the gameboy stuff for $1, nabbed the tetris for $.25, tomb raider for $.50, coleco games $.50 each for labels and $.25 each for non labels. I have no idea what the non labels are as I don't have a coleco anymore. Got the wii games for $10 :)

I'm speechless ... I think that I find bargains every now and then ... but you put me to shame! Fantastic deals ... $10 for ALL those Wii games ... insane!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Were these yard sale or craigslist or thrift store?

Got a lot of 30 LPs today for $5 at a yard sale including Michael Jackson's Thriller, Beatles Hard Days Night, Kiss The Originals and Superman II.

post-31049-0-43244000-1375471423_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-88874800-1375471504_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-32736800-1375471684_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-97996800-1375471926_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm speechless ... I think that I find bargains every now and then ... but you put me to shame! Fantastic deals ... $10 for ALL those Wii games ... insane!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Were these yard sale or craigslist or thrift store?

lol these today were yardsales, but they go between yardsale, craigslist, thrift stores. You should have seen some of my finds last year when I was posting on GTZ lol, they said I was some kind of game finding wizard :)

You would probably be amazed at what I pass up as well though. Good deals but if I already have the stuff I don't buy it unless it's resell prices.

^Really? Which ones?

EDIT: After a quick Googlin', the only confirmed one I could find is Space Station Silicon Valley, and some people say it works for them. :?

That's the one... back in the day (did I just say that!?) I had that game. I got Donkey Kong 64 at the same time and put the included memory expansion in my N64 right away. I played space station silicon valley a lot. I got very hooked into it... but I found that as I got into it and got further and further I'd notice lots of glitches.. and in the later levels it just started crashing where it would lock up but continue to play the music. I had no idea why but was very bummed about it so I wound up selling the game to Game Stop because it was a gift and I didn't have a receipt.

Thanks for looking it up by the way, I'd been meaning to figure out what game it was again so I could buy it... if not for it's failure to work reliably with the RAM pack it really had the potential to become my favorite third-party title on the system. Knowing what I know now I could actually conceivably play it all the way through.

lol can't believe I got another NSMB for $1 got both wii games $1 each right across the house I got all those wii games at yesterday. They were buried in a movie bin. Got the gamecube disc for $1 and simon $.50. Then I got all the ps2 games for $15 but the last pic was all empty cases, so I went back and asked about the empty cases and the guy found me tons of disc even more than I had paid for. The cases to the right still don't have disc but I was able to fill the other ones w/correct disc and still had the disc onlys left over :)

100_4271_zps1245764f.jpg

100_4272_zps41f3f04d.jpg

100_4273_zps6596cd91.jpg

100_4277_zps84ed48a7.jpg

Edited by icemanxp300
  • Like 1

You're gonna hate me. I paid... nothing.

My roommate volunteers at one of the local thrifts. He takes donated computer equipment, tests it out, then creates bundles the store can then sell with the confidence that it will actually work. Today while in the employee area of the store, waiting for him to finish up, I spied a Guitar Hero guitar in a trash can. I have had lousy luck keeping my game guitars in usable condition, so I asked the head guy if I could have that one to try out. That lead to a conversation about how the store doesn't really sell a lot of video game stuff anymore because nobody currently there has the know-how to test and price everything. I told him I'd be happy to look at anything they get, and so he lead me to a room where video game donations have been accumulating. Suddenly I was a kid in a candy store.

Those PlayStation games were by far the best of the bunch. There was also an empty NES Action Pack box, some Genesis cartridges, and a decent assortment of PS2, XBox and PC games, some of which actually weren't sports games. I've been given permission to do pretty much whatever I want with it all, as long as I can make some money for the store. I've got some ideas already, involving eBay, the local used game shops, and the mountain of game stuff I have crammed in storage. I'll make it a good trade.

So really, I'm not getting the games for free, but out of pocket, I didn't pay a cent. :D

• Like 5

So I went to a convention on Friday with some friends. When we were not doing stuff at the convention, we went to places around city the convention was in.. (This happen twice during the day.) Well one of friends who was with me. Knew all the good places to go in this city, which included the local Goodwill.

Well later in the afternoon, we were again waiting for something else to start at the convention. So we decided to go check out Goodwill. When we got there, I made a beeline to where the electronics/housewares section was. After looking around and not finding anything interesting besides some controllers. I started to look through their large stacks of electronic hardware. They had stuff like DVD players, VCR's, CD Players, and audio receivers in the stacks.

While I was Iooking though one of the stacks. I glanced to my left to see what was in the next stack. I noticed one of the devices in the stack had a Compact Disc Interactive badge on the front of the disc tray. It didn't immediately register in my mind it was, apart from the fact that it was not normal. It was enough for me however to investigate as to what this thing was. Looking at it closer, I saw the input port on the front. Then I realized what it was, and the model number on the front confirmed it. I found a CD-I, something I never though I would randomly find in the wild.

Specifically, I found a Phillips CDI 910. As for the price, It had a sticker on it for $9.99. But since the sticker was yellow, it was half off. So I got it for $5 instead..

It's in really good shape for the most part. There are some scratches on the top of the system. But being it was there long enough to be sold for half off. I wouldn't be surprised if they were done while it was at Goodwill. Another problem is that the tray doesn't close all the way when you press the open/close button. So I have to push it close the rest of the way, but I doesn't bother me too much. I also couldn't find the controller/remote for it, but I can one off feeBay eBay if I need to. Lastly, It didn't have the power cord either. However, since it does use the same kind of cord a desktop uses. That is not a problem for me at all since I have plenty of extras.

Anyways, It does seem to work just fine as far as I can tell. I got it plugged up to a TV in the house, and the picture looked clean. It also had no problems loading the Music CD I put in it.

The best part about all of this. Is that is that one of my friends who was with me, has also been wanting to get a CD-I. He walked by it at least twice (from what I saw), before I found it in one of the stacks. Needless to say he's jealous right now.

tl;dr: I found a Phillips CD-I for $5 at a Goodwill on Friday.

Here are pictures:

fQaB4AK.jpg

DFdF5E0.jpg

hVX6U2Q.jpg

GDb5Y6s.jpg

LK8aAVL.jpg

ly7LOu2.jpg

6CpNwPh.jpg

TGWrEHl.jpg

Edited by nightwheel
  • Like 5

Last 2 days...

CIMG4671_zps960c2a78.jpg

$5.99 each from Goodwill.

CIMG4668_zpse50035cd.jpg

$5.99 from Salvation Army. It is unopened but the shrinkwrap is open on the right spine of the box.

CIMG4675_zps861b5e31.jpg

CIMG4676_zpsb6e40f11.jpg

These were found at a Goodwill for $5.99 each, all new and sealed. I wonder if these were part of a store or warehouse drop given the Blade II and Cabela games for both Xbox and PS2 (there was another sealed PS2 Blade II that I left).

• Like 1

I didn't even know they looked like that...I'm going to have to keep a sharper eye out (as if I'll actually find one).

It's easy to miss. On first glance, you would think it was just a CD deck, or perhaps a DVD player. I suspect many Nuons have been missed at yard sales and thrift shops for the same reason.

Wife got all this for 5$ at the annual Habitat tag sale down the road at the prep school. She didn't even know the Game Gear was in there when she bought the bag--though it turns out the thing has one busted button that I have to figure out how to fix. But for 5$ I was very happy to have a spare Genesis.

post-33433-0-34760600-1375702194_thumb.jpg