IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

IIRC PXL-2000 camcorder is worth way more than that. They have generated a cult following with their crude "video from an auidocasette" function.

Hey, that was some pretty keen tech back in the 1980s, when camcorders were gigantic and prohibitively expensive. Now that there are palm-sized flipcams and smart phones that can do the same thing, a PXL-2000 is no great shakes, but twenty-five years ago, it was amazing.

Ok so I kind of feel bad for this guy. He posted a sega cd 32x lot for $100. I called and said I would pay the $100 he was asking. Once I got there at 9 pm at night I requested to test the sega cd. He was having problems getting it to work. I asked if I could try :) I completely bypassed his entire vcr setup and made a direct connection into the back of TV (I was not spending all night figuring out his his set-up works lol).

Immediately it worked however the mod 2 had issues maintaining a constant power, the power port is messed up. I switched out w/his other model 2 and it was fine. However after being there 30 minutes I was sick of messing around and waiting on this guy to set this up. Continuing on we were unable to get sound to the sega cd, I didn't bother checking the other stuff. I was kind of in a hurry to get to the hospital to see my baby (premature in NICU). By now I was really needing to go as I was already running late for my baby's wake up time.

I told the guy I can't buy this stuff like this not working properly and asked him to sell the games and 32x seperate. He denied, I talked a bit more and agreed to buy the entire lot for $65. After I got home I checked again and no sound but no sound to any of the systems. I simply opened his ziplock bag that had another rf and BOOM everything worked perfectly.

I feel bad for the guy because it all works fine, on the other hand he should have had gone over this stuff before I came, not on how it ran 5 years ago. When you ask $100 you better have tested this stuff because I'm not dropping $100 when a major portion of that is valued on a cd based system working.

Anyhow here we go :) The sega cd will be for sale.

Another thing I had no idea that nice case was included until I got there.... BONUS!

100_4345_zps9b8e5ade.jpg

100_4346_zpscce45602.jpg

100_4347_zps9c97e5fa.jpg

100_4348_zps880df325.jpg

xxxx

• Like 4

I feel bad for the guy because it all works fine, on the other hand he should have had gone over this stuff before I came, not on how it ran 5 years ago. When you ask $100 you better have tested this stuff because I'm not dropping $100 when a major portion of that is valued on a cd based system working.

There have been times that I've felt bad buying things from people that I KNOW are worth a lot more. However, it doesn't take a lot of effort to look up what things are worth and, if they aren't willing to take that time, then I don't feel so bad. I've taken the time to research and learn what these things are worth and there is value in that knowledge ... it's the same philosophy with testing your stuff.

Move forth, profit from your hard work and knowledge, live long and prosper. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

However, it doesn't take a lot of effort to look up what things are worth and, if they aren't willing to take that time, then I don't feel so bad. I've taken the time to research and learn what these things are worth and there is value in that knowledge ... it's the same philosophy with testing your stuff.

Seconded. I never, however, try to rip off young kids on flea markets. Drives me mad when I see assholes trying to squeeze a perfect-condition Game Boy Advance SP with adapter and games for 5 Euros out of an unsuspecting 10-year-old. That's just not right.

• Like 5

I picked up a Panasonic 3DO console at Goodwill on Saturday for $4.99. No AV cables or controllers, but it turns on and I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I think it's the front-loading FZ-1 console.

Great find! You probably know this, but be sure not to plug in any non-3DO controllers (Genesis, Atari, etc.), as they can fry the controller port.

There have been times that I've felt bad buying things from people that I KNOW are worth a lot more. However, it doesn't take a lot of effort to look up what things are worth and, if they aren't willing to take that time, then I don't feel so bad. I've taken the time to research and learn what these things are worth and there is value in that knowledge ... it's the same philosophy with testing your stuff.

Move forth, profit from your hard work and knowledge, live long and prosper. :thumbsup:

It's great to learn cause knowledge is power!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVKN_hwf890

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

Not video games, but these are two of my coolest finds ever. Two Helen of Toy game sets (mail order games, advertised in old comics, popular in the 60s) complete in the original shipping boxes. One of them was unpunched. Woods Edge and Fighting Ships (unpunched). The best part ... 50 cents each at a local store!

post-31049-0-07020400-1376623489_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-06568800-1376623508_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Not video games, but these are two of my coolest finds ever. Two Helen of Toy game sets (mail order games, advertised in old comics, popular in the 60s) complete in the original shipping boxes. One of them was unpunched. Woods Edge and Fighting Ships (unpunched). The best part ... 50 cents each at a local store!

post-31049-0-07020400-1376623489_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-06568800-1376623508_thumb.jpg

This is fantastic, reminds me of the unopened water rocket set from the 70s I found ... great toys, great find. Thanks for posting!

Nothing much, just some books. Grabbed the Quantum Leap novel, because why not? And now I have a revised printing of Max Allan Collins's Dick Tracy movie "novelization" with the original ending intact B) The copy I had before has it changed so that it wouldn't spoil the surprise ending in the movie. It's kind of weird.

Not video games, but...

I didn't know we were only supposed to be posting video-game finds. I've been posting all sorts of things.

I didn't know we were only supposed to be posting video-game finds. I've been posting all sorts of things.

Nah, there are no hard-and-fast rules. I show off non-video game stuff all the time, too.

Like my spoils from last weekend: I found a lot of nice '80s CD's I didn't already have, including the digital remasters of Duran Duran's first album and Rio, and a very early Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark album, the one with "Enola Gay." I even found a Gary Numan greatest-hits CD that didn't have "Cars"! At least, not the original version; they cheated and used a live recording. That's kind of okay, though, since the compilation was supposed to cover his output from 1984 to 1998.

I used to post non-game finds all the time and I like it when people share their other stories/stuff as well. Does anyone who is a serious thrift shopper look only for video games?!

For instance, finding an UNPUNCHED Helen of Toy game set... yeesh that is a good one! I am always on the lookout for old board games.

Also audio equipment. I am rocking out with thrift store speakers in my office right now.

Nah, there are no hard-and-fast rules. I show off non-video game stuff all the time, too.

Like my spoils from last weekend: I found a lot of nice '80s CD's I didn't already have, including the digital remasters of Duran Duran's first album and Rio, and a very early Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark album, the one with "Enola Gay." I even found a Gary Numan greatest-hits CD that didn't have "Cars"! At least, not the original version; they cheated and used a live recording. That's kind of okay, though, since the compilation was supposed to cover his output from 1984 to 1998.

Didn't mean to suggest that we can't post non game things ... just that even though it wasn't game related, still one of my best finds EVER!

I used to post non-game finds all the time and I like it when people share their other stories/stuff as well. Does anyone who is a serious thrift shopper look only for video games?!

For instance, finding an UNPUNCHED Helen of Toy game set... yeesh that is a good one! I am always on the lookout for old board games.

Exactly right ... I always look for video games, but I always check out the toys, games, electronics (calculators!) and books as well. The Helen of Toy games were in (of all places) a bargain bin at a local Cd/DVD/video game resale shop. $1 each and buy one get one free :). I walked out with over 40 games including Avalon Hill board games, sealed Vic 20 games, SPI games, etc.

I love that store.

• Like 1

Nice find today: A MAS Super Pro-Stick, at a trailer park of all places. Problem is, I'm not sure what systems it's for. The guy thought it was for the Genesis. There's two plugs - both 9-pin. One looks like 3DO, and the cord's still wrapped in plastic. The other looks like you would plug something into IT. Some sort of passthrough? Can't find much online.

EDIT: It just occured to me that the other plug is probably for additional controllers. I was so fixated on the Genesis I didn't even think of that.

Yesterday I found a Super Mario Bros. 2 stein for $1. I've seen (and probably have) the glass, but I don't remember seeing this before. Pretty hefty.

Edited by CRV

Hit 2 saled today. I almost didn't go because My wife and I had twins and we have one baby home now. She had to work today. The problem was both ads listed games super nintendo, genesis, dreamcast... So I decided to grab the little guy and let him nap in the carseat while we go to 2 and only 2 yardsales lol. Got this stuff for $29.

100_4353_zpsd8468f2b.jpg

• Like 4

I have no way of taking pictures at this time, so other people's pictures will have to suffice for now:

http://www.3dotoday....perprostick.jpg (no slow or turbo switches)

http://rover.ebay.co...=item43bde30c5b

That'll do pig ... that'll do

Seriously - thanks for posting those links, love the controller and the stein.