IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sadly it isn't my find, but it's still pretty amazing that the lucky bastard got this.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/vgm/3990769735.html

So a video game store owner nearby had a guy come into his store and sell him a Vectrex(mint in box), 3D Imager(mint in box), 23 games(mint in box), and the light pen(mint in box).

He won't stop bragging about the thing.

Heh, he immediately posted it on Craigslist for a (frankly rather obscene even for Vectrex) $2000. Go fig. Unsurprisingly nobody has bought it, so he lowered the asking price to $1500 and there it has sat for the last several weeks - "shockingly" he's still getting no takers.

• Like 1

I picked up this Turbo Express at the flea market for $25... Anyone know if that was a deal? I'm waiting on a game to test with, but I get good vid and audio with the TV tuner. Reception sucks, but that's a different story. I already replaced the main faulty audio capacitor, and it's loud and clear.

Hell yes that is a deal! I've been looking for a Turbo Express in the wild for YEARS have yet to see one except for overpriced game stores.

Sadly it isn't my find, but it's still pretty amazing that the lucky bastard got this.

http://westernmass.c...3990769735.html

So a video game store owner nearby had a guy come into his store and sell him a Vectrex(mint in box), 3D Imager(mint in box), 23 games(mint in box), and the light pen(mint in box).

He won't stop bragging about the thing.

Heh, he immediately posted it on Craigslist for a (frankly rather obscene even for Vectrex) $2000. Go fig. Unsurprisingly nobody has bought it, so he lowered the asking price to $1500 and there it has sat for the last several weeks - "shockingly" he's still getting no takers.

Assuming everything is complete and in mint condition like he says, that's really not that insane is it? For someone looking for an instant kick ass collection, I don't think it's that bad of a deal. Personally, if that were in my area, I'd consider it, or at least make an offer. The last 3D Imager on Ebay went for almost $700 by itself. CIB Polar Rescue is easily $100 bill.

Granted, it's not a steal, but not sky high either.

I picked up this Turbo Express at the flea market for $25... Anyone know if that was a deal? I'm waiting on a game to test with, but I get good vid and audio with the TV tuner. Reception sucks, but that's a different story. I already replaced the main faulty audio capacitor, and it's loud and clear.

o4hb.jpg

That's a HELL of a deal. Last time I found a TurboExpress, they wanted $75 for it, and that was in 1997.

You can pretty much forget watching television on that thing, though. The digital transition has rendered all TV tuners for handheld systems obsolete. I suppose you could daisy chain it to a digital converter, but in what sense is it portable then?

How's it for playing games, by the way?

It's been dry around here lately, but scored some O2 and NES games today...

O2

Armored Encounter / Sub Chase (CIB)

Bowling/ Basketball (CIB)

NES (all loose carts)

California Games

Excitebike

NARC

RBI Baseball

Rollerblade Racer

Superspike V'ball / Nintendo World Cup

I'd take a pic but my camera phone sucks

You guys are lucky, I haven't found anything in the thrifts or any where in the wild for like 2 years now. Pretty depressing. Seems like the supplies are drying out, stores have told me the same. I wonder how many attics haven't been cleaned out yet around here, filled with classic gaming treasures!!!!!! :-o

You can pretty much forget watching television on that thing, though. The digital transition has rendered all TV tuners for handheld systems obsolete. I suppose you could daisy chain it to a digital converter, but in what sense is it portable then?

Don't let that stop you! Take the challenge!!

Here's what I ended up with from today's yard sale hunt:

Spongebob Squarepants TV Game: free of charge

Classic Arcade Pinball TV Game: 25 cents (down from 50 cents)

TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project (NES): 75 cents (firm)

Samsung Upstage phone: $1.00

Tetrisphere (N64): $2.00

Not a great haul, but hey, the TV Games are always good for parts, and TMNT 3 is supposed to be fairly uncommon as NES games go. The real burn is that after I'd spent three bucks, I found a full-sized electronic keyboard with MIDI ports on the back. Price? Ten dollars, about five more than I had on hand. That hurts!

• Like 1

That is an absolute steal for The Manhattan Project. Want to septuple your money?

Nice try! I might actually want to play this one of these days... I remember this game being a pretty good follow-up to the arcade game, if not on the level of Turtles in Time or even Hyperstone Heist. Shame I didn't find the Turtles fighting game for the NES... now that is worth mad dosh.

While not exactly an amazing deal. It does come with an interesting story to make up for it.

So I have acquired a PS3 finally after a long time of wanting one. I found it at at a pawn shop for $109 before tax last Thursday. I got a nice large bonus from work and was allowing my self one large expensive purchase. So this fit the bill nicely. So promptly purchased it since I find it hard to get PS3 for that price around here.

The PS3 it's self was a 160gb slim model. It came with two controllers, power cord, av cable (not HDMI), and a official PS3 wireless headset.

Anyways I get it home, then take over to campus to show to some of my friends my newly acquired PS3. I start looking it over while i was there, and noticed this pawnshop put a inventory sticker on the bottom of the unit. Not exactly surprising if you think about it. What was surprising was that it said that this PS3 was a Nintendo 3DS. So i get home later and look at the receipt, and sure enough it was saying the same thing.

So on Friday, after getting done with my classes. I head back home and called up the pawn shop I got it from to figure out what is going on here. Needless to say they are surprised by this too. So this lead to some conversations back and forth about the machine and the purchase it's self. Well after all of this, they decided to let me keep the PS3 (for now), and will call me if they have any other questions about it.

So yea, interesting story.

I would've just shrugged it off as a goof, surprised that you called them.

Or are you hoping that maybe they put the wrong price sticker on and charged you too much?

I was trying to be honest with my purchase. As for the price, compared to the other PS3's they were selling. This one was really cheap, and priced the same as their 3DS's.

So My local gamestore had this for the past year or so and I didn't get it because they wanted so much and seal is sloppy. However since I have been following this game for awhile now and don't see sealed ones pop up too often and that most recent one to sell that I know of sold for $250. I figured it was time for me to nab it w/my credit.

Granted the seal is a bit curvy but the shrink is a bit sucked in at corner which compensates for the wave. I would question this a bit more but this store had these sealed games from a diff. store that went under (an old EB) from many years ago before faking seals was something people did.

This was about the only good 64 sealed game I didn't get a chance to nab from them for $15 before they went through them lol.

100_4393_zpsc9423c8f.jpg

100_4394_zps327acee8.jpg

100_4395_zpsbf290d86.jpg

xxxx

Went to a crazy yard sale this weekend -- a collector liquidating most of his collection and selling everything at firesale prices. It was advertised on Craigslist beforehand, so there was a bit of a feeding frenzy when I got there, and despite prominently posting "NO EARLY BIRDS" they still had had early birds there. Plus a local reseller had already picked it over beforehand, so my expectations were low.

But almost everyone seemed Nintendo-oriented, so there was still plenty of good stuff left for other systems, and I came away with:

3 loose Atari 2600 games with manuals, all R4-R6 (Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Gyruss)

1 loose Atari 7800 game with manual (Choplifter)

10 loose ColecoVision games (commons except for Jungle Hunt and Dam Busters), plus a case for them

a weird Famicom bootleg

15 Genesis games in varying degrees of completeness (mostly CIB or boxed), including a 24-in-1 multicart

1 loose SNES game

1 CIB 32X game - World Series Baseball '95 (!!!)

1 CIB PlayStation game

13 CIB Saturn games (mostly sports but almost all of the cases were immaculate)

2 CIB Dreamcast games

7 GameCube games that my fiancée found in a box of DVDs (all but one CIB, and all good stuff like Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.)

All told, the above cost me the princely sum of...$21.

I probably should've bought more -- there were tons of Atari commons that I probably could have had for a song, a few 7800 games I couldn't remember whether I had, and a few 32X games I knew I already had. But as my fiancée said, you can't buy 'em all.

BTW World Series Baseball 32X was sitting out in plain view -- I guess no one else knew/realized that the game is worth over $100. I already had a nice condition box/manual with no cart, so I grabbed the cart out of this one (since it's somewhat sunfaded though otherwise in decent shape).

• Like 4

Overpaid for these I think, but am very happy to have all three of these titles.

Mahjong Cub3d - 3DS [$13 pre-owned from Target]

Front Mission 4 - PS2 [$10 from a used game store]

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - DS [$25 from a used game store]

photo3_zpsd8bd680e.jpg

As for the price, compared to the other PS3's they were selling. This one was really cheap, and priced the same as their 3DS's.

Ah, okay.

I've had things happen like that before, and they usually give it to me for the sticker price, saying that it's their own fault =)