The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Other sightings at the same flea market where I found the Sega's:

Sears Video Arcade II- looked complete, but dirty

5200 4port console- no cords, but looked nice

INTV System III- dirty, but all there

2600- 4sw woody, nice

Intellivision II- looked like it would clean up nice

Vintage consoles made a decent showing this week, but few if any games for them.

The thrift by my house needs to have that deal =| I would probably take the whole box of 2600 games from them. $4 each is too much.

But they almost always overprice electronics, so it doesn't surprise me. They have a Dreamcast right now, just the console itself, $20.

No kidding! My local Goodwill chain usually sells PS2 and XBox cheap (almost always console, never controller, no way to test it) but when they get computer they seems to think the chip number is accurate for price tag. I've been watching a $486 computer move from one Goodwill to another Goodwill for several months now. It's ugly, scratched to heck, filthy, no hard drive (probably removed before donated), no RAM (likely stolen), and no way to test it anyway since I have never seen a monitor with 9 pin EGA port at Goodwill.

Also $5 Atari games, $25+ for current gen games often leftover from Target clearance sale that didn't sell, and at one store $60 for a DS fat.

The thrift by my house needs to have that deal =| I would probably take the whole box of 2600 games from them. $4 each is too much.

But they almost always overprice electronics, so it doesn't surprise me. They have a Dreamcast right now, just the console itself, $20.

Believe it or not, that's at a new game store that opened up! Been spoiled in the last few weeks with R4s and R5s for $0.99! Before this store opened up, it was pretty dry here too.

Ooh nice! Have they been tested? Still missing that model...

You should get one, if you like playing Genesis. Way better video and audio than the model 2 (although there's rumors of model 2s out there with decent video, I've never seen one).

Believe it or not, that's at a new game store that opened up! Been spoiled in the last few weeks with R4s and R5s for $0.99! Before this store opened up, it was pretty dry here too.

We've got a Play'n'Trade, which, last time I checked, still sold 2600 and 8-bit carts. They're usually pretty fair with their prices, but can sometimes get carried away with eBay pricechecking.

Freakin' awesome, especially in that shape, *thumbs up*

It was the classic double-take when I saw it in the glass case. The disc is super-clean on top of everything.

IMG_20140722_161715161_zpsu0p9xgu7.jpg
A couple of $1.99 pickups from the Goodwill bookstore near my work.
IMG_20140722_161723421_zpsgb3k7isu.jpg
$1.99 from the same bookstore.
IMG_20140722_161636133_zpsvd04ibnx.jpg
$2.99 from Salvation Army, but very much worth the extra dollar to be able to paint happy little clouds like a mofo.
  • Like 2

I found a few things of interest.

First: I got HP Envy 120 for only $5. It works and it was great timing because my old scanner had quit working a few days ago. I didn't need high end scanner and I wasn't about to shell out over $100 for stand alone cheap scanner or over $50 for an all-in-one and never use the printer part. Instead I just spent $5 for an all-in-one and won't use the printer part.

Second, found Powerjoy set (the N64 controller look alike Famicom clone) with the cart and player 2 controller. No power supply but it was only 98 cents (half off!!)IMG_0110_zpsb625ea0f.jpg

Lastly, found the green Halo edition XBox for $12. It's not rare but it's a lot cheaper than shipping alone! Works but the label on bottom has been broken so it may have mod inside. Will need to find screwdriver and check it out.

IMG_0111_zps396d4bce.jpg

IMG_0112_zps27f9ee80.jpg

• Like 4

Lastly, found the green Halo edition XBox for $12. It's not rare but it's a lot cheaper than shipping alone! Works but the label on bottom has been broken so it may have mod inside. Will need to find screwdriver and check it out.

Well if it's just softmodded, you won't be able to see much just by opening it =) Unless they swapped the hard drive, maybe.

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn it on and see?

I recently popped mine back open to fix the trace corrosion on the motherboard...I'm surprised I was able to solder to such tiny resistors @_@ Not fun.

I need to go to K-Mart more often, I go maybe once or twice a year. I've gotten some really good deals there on clearance stuff before.

I remember back in the day, when they had tons of used NES games for sale (this was probably during the N64 era).

if there's an eBay thread, please forgive me and redirect me, but I only have a few FAMICOM games

So this week I've bought 3 lots making 19 games in FAMICOM to come to me soon!
does anyone know the harder to read titles in this pic?
I only know a few of the obvious titles
Mickey Mouse: Fushigi no Kuni no Daibouken [Famicom] 1987 [Mickey Mousecapades]
Rockman 2 [Famicom] CAP-XR 1988
Dragon Quest III [Famicom] EFC-03
Dragon Quest IV [Famicom] EFC-04
Donald Duck [Famicom]
Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima [Famicom] HFC-TB
???? [Famicom]
Doraemon [Famicom] HFC-DO
Urusei Yatsura: Lum no Wedding Bell [Famicom] JF-10
Choujin: Ultra Baseball [Famicom] CBF-UB
Super Mario Bros. [Famicom]
Super Mario Bros. 3 [Famicom]
also coming soon:
Yoshi's Eggs [Famicom of Yoshi]
Yoshi's Cookies [Famicom]
Macross [Famicom]
Goonies [Famicom]
Urban Champion [Famicom] HVC-UC 1984
[Famicom] SQF-UT ????
America Daitōryō Senkyo (アメリカ大統領選挙) [Famicom] United States Presidential Race [1988]
  • Like 1

IMG_20140729_175210773_zps05ed2879.jpg

Salvation Army finds: Super Mario Sunshine (no manual) was $4.99, as was PS2 Robotech Battlecry. The RB soundtrack was $1.99; both RB items are new and unopened.

IMG_20140729_173459507_zpsa72fe586.jpg

These were $1.99 each at the same Salvation; Disney Oscar consideration CDs that contain the entire movie scores.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a box of NES stuff, deck, controllers, even a Max and Advantage, a plastic case (the tray with 10 slots and room in the middle for a controller or manuals), and one of the games, Caveman Games, has something rattling around in it, and I want to open it up and check it, but my secbit has disappeared, where's a good place to get one at a decent price?