IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Who would donate a wiiu? That must have been a ticked off parent to get rid of their kid's new WiiU.

I have a feeling that that's exactly what happened. I looked at his activity log, he played Monster Hunter 3 on two separate occasions, less than 30 minutes total...and then for whatever reason, tried to pry open the console and the battery compartment on the gamepad.

His loss, my gain B) It's the Zelda deluxe model, too!

I picked up a copy of lost planet 2 for the Xbox 360 and a Kodak carousel projector. Not really sure why I bought the projector but at 5 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

Need some carousel rotary trays? I have about 7 of them. Drop me a PM if you want one or all of them.

Well, you can have all of them for free -just pay $79 overnight shipping. Bwahahaha! :P

• Like 1

Need some carousel rotary trays? I have about 7 of them. Drop me a PM if you want one or all of them.

Well, you can have all of them for free -just pay $79 overnight shipping. Bwahahaha! :P

79 dollars overnight shipping from rylos to canada seems like a pretty good deal -lol

Seriously though I see these at thrift shops quite often.

• Like 1

Haven't really bought any vidya related stuff recently. Mostly vinyl and militaria.

Highlights:

Furiously and violently shat my pants when I found this one. $6

post-23072-0-17008300-1421566092_thumb.jpg

Got the front-seam steel pot for $40. Here it is sitting next to my Finnish m40.

post-23072-0-54975900-1421566109_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I now present to you a play, in three acts. It's entirely possible this was inspired by true events.

ACT I: THE BEST LAID PLANS

Setting: Foolish Collector's house. Foolish Collector is looking at shelves full of movies and thinking of a plan to pare down.

Foolish Collector: Okay, owning first editions of movies is cool and all, but these laserdiscs and DVDs are about to flood me out of my home! Okay, I may as well start passing on laserdiscs and DVDs of movies I also have on Blu-ray, and I'm also going to buy more Blu-ray box sets to save shelf space. Yes, this will work.

Foolish Collector's Roommate: Hey, a friend of my parents is selling a collection of 169 laserdiscs. Are you interested?

Foolish Collector: (without batting an eye) Sure! (pause) (blink) (facepalm) Why did I do that??

ACT II: FALLING DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

Setting: Foolish Collector's car, during a 70-minute drive to go pick up 169 laserdiscs.

Foolish Collector: (facepalm) Why am I doing this??

ACT III: AND SO IT GOES

Setting: Foolish Collector's storage unit, after unloading and somehow finding room to put 169 laserdiscs.

Foolish Collector: Wow, Criterion Collection editions, 12 Monkeys Signature Collection box set, old Tex Avery cartoons... eventually I'll watch all these, figure out what I want to keep and sell the rest. I might even come out a buck or two ahead! All I need is a little time.

Foolish Collector thinks about all the other games, movies and records he still plans on playing, watching and listening to once he has "a little time."

Foolish Collector: (facepalm) Why did I do this??

THE END

• Like 4

Foolish Collector thinks about all the other games, movies and records he still plans on playing, watching and listening to once he has "a little time."

This says it all. I think I live in a world where the anticipation of playing with my collection is more fun than actually playing with it. :(

• Like 1

Picked up an N64 for 25 bucks with a Nintendo Brand expansion pack. The price isn't amazing, although I think it's pretty good. The condition the unit is in triggered the buy. My current deck is one I regret buying. The connectors are corroded, the expansion pack doesn't work and it's just pretty beat up. I was sorta desperate to play some classics or I'd have never bought it. Today's purchase is immaculate. I only know it was played because it has the pack in it.

This says it all. I think I live in a world where the anticipation of playing with my collection is more fun than actually playing with it. :(

Whenever this comes up, I think of Harlan Ellison's great line, uttered by a character with a huge library: "When they'd ask if I'd read all those books, I'd say, 'Hell, no. Who wants a library full of books you've already read?'" Same goes for games, I think, though if you don't enjoy them once you get to play them, that's a problem.

That said, only about 1/10 of the games I play make me say to myself "Wow, I'm glad I found this!" -- but then, I feel that way about most books and movies too. :)

• Like 2

Whenever this comes up, I think of Harlan Ellison's great line, uttered by a character with a huge library: "When they'd ask if I'd read all those books, I'd say, 'Hell, no. Who wants a library full of books you've already read?'"

Hehe, I like it!

In more relevant news, this was waiting for me at the store this weekend...

post-6115-0-69994800-1422325591_thumb.jpg

Both boxes have their games and their instructions, though the Galaxian comic is missing. Once I clean the console up, make sure it works and tweak the game collection a bit, some lucky buyer will score a 2600 bundle next weekend if not soon after.

Meanwhile, this one's going in my own collection. :D

post-6115-0-33116800-1422325740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, I may as well start passing on laserdiscs and DVDs of movies I also have on Blu-ray...

But about half of the movies are all kinds of screwed up on BluRay! And about half of those are also screwed up on DVD! The Laserdisc has the original, unaltered theatrical presentation, the original color timing, the uncensored commentary tracks, and the original mono soundtrack uncompressed!!