IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I'm not a pc collector but I snagged this lot for $20. I figured I couldn't lose! I plan on selling them all.

Nice find. You'll likely get your money back from just The Curse of Monkey Island ... everything else is gravy.

Here's my yard sale finds of the day:

Official Nintendo Player's Guide - $.50 cents

Nintendo 64 Pen and Case - $1.50. Don't know much about the pen (value/rarity) other than some crazy person on eBay is TRYING to sell theirs for $200. If it doesn't sell, I'll use it to sign checks here in the office :-D.

post-31049-0-91464000-1433446386_thumb.jpg

Here's my yard sale finds of the day:

Official Nintendo Player's Guide - $.50 cents

attachicon.gifIMG_2515.JPG

Does it have the intact sticker sheet inside? It's rather uncommon to find this with entire sheet still intact. I have a few of the guide, one that is near mint with intact sticker sheet, one with some stickers removed, and a worn book with loose leafs (bad binding) and no sticker sheet.

Does it have the intact sticker sheet inside? It's rather uncommon to find this with entire sheet still intact. I have a few of the guide, one that is near mint with intact sticker sheet, one with some stickers removed, and a worn book with loose leafs (bad binding) and no sticker sheet.

Didn't even notice that! There is a sticker sheet inside the back cover with all the stickers intact. A few Marios, Metroid and a Link sticker. Cool!

This past weekend I found a boxed 1988 NES Action set for $50 (the gray zapper), a boxed 1992 Genesis for $10 (model 1 with Sonic) and a Darth Vader case with some vintage Star Wars figs for $5. The same yard sale wanted $300 for 20 NES games after they said they were valued at over $1000 on ebay (some boxed but nothing big, the best boxed game was Star Tropics) so I passed. They also had 2 Atari 2600's and about 10 games but they wanted $30 for a boxed Combat so I passed on that as well. I offered them $100 for the Atari stuff and they laughed. They now have the NES games on CL for "an offer". Good luck people.

I'm not a pc collector but I snagged this lot for $20. I figured I couldn't lose! I plan on selling them all.

Grim fandango alone would be great to find at 20 dollar.

Would love to find such a great find. Some nice games for my collection.

• Like 1

Grim fandango alone would be great to find at 20 dollar.

Would love to find such a great find. Some nice games for my collection.

How far is it to the german border from your place? It seems that prices for PC games are extremely low over here. If a seller starts negotiations for a big box PC game at 5 Euro, I usually don't even bother haggling anymore. I'd consider meeting at 3 bucks too expensive... However, I did notice huge regional fluctuations in prices. I seem to be in a low-price enclave where I live. At least for PC games, PS1 and Mega Drive.

How far is it to the german border from your place? It seems that prices for PC games are extremely low over here. If a seller starts negotiations for a big box PC game at 5 Euro, I usually don't even bother haggling anymore. I'd consider meeting at 3 bucks too expensive... However, I did notice huge regional fluctuations in prices. I seem to be in a low-price enclave where I live. At least for PC games, PS1 and Mega Drive.

just 20 km from the border. problem is that games are localized. most pc games in the netherlands back then where english, while in germany you would likely have a german based game.

Also some games where altered because of german law. Like wolfenstein.

The last week of May I found a PS2 Dual Shock controller. $5. on Vacation in NC.

Also a 1MB Sony stick, but turns out it is longer than what is in my PSP.

So those 2 I bought.

They had the slim PS2 also for $35, (I have the heavy with a hard drive put in it) and I was going to bundle all three items, but I plugged it in and even put in a CD or DVD and it would not spin up or light up, or make a sound, so I just got the Controller and 1MB card.

Also yesterday after work, I drove by and had to double back and pick this up. Side of the road, next to an NEC VGA monitor (why couldn't it have been the Commmodore one????)

I never had one, I was Atari 800XL.

Entering "official Hoarder status" with this one, as it is around 98% true junk, but I needed to add it to my collection!

I love the sound of the SID chip, and I guess now I have one :)

post-29575-0-65449800-1434083374_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Also yesterday after work, I drove by and had to double back and pick this up. Side of the road, next to an NEC VGA monitor (why couldn't it have been the Commmodore one????)

I never had one, I was Atari 800XL.

Entering "official Hoarder status" with this one, as it is around 98% true junk, but I needed to add it to my collection!

I love the sound of the SID chip, and I guess now I have one :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Gotta love saving a piece of history from the landfill ... even if it looks like it could use a key or two ;). Enjoy the C64! Great system that provided hours and hours of fun for me as a kid.

grey function keys? Those are usually brown, I think you got an uncommon keyboard variation.

I do remember brown and orange function keys.

Image search shows all kinds.

(Taking into account discoloration and color shifts.)

I did see 1982 on the circuit board so maybe it's an early C64 .

So, yeah, today's find and adventure.

I'm at a yard sale and see a Nintendo Gamecube, all cords with two remotes (one was a Wavebird w/ remote receiver). A sticker on the system said "Comes with 10 Games" for $30. I asked to see the games and she tells me that her daughter forgot to bring them over and she would be back later with the games. Well, it's a good deal so I say fine ... I pay the $30, take the system, exchange information and agree to come back and pick up the games later. Innocent, gullible (or maybe greedy) me :ponder:.

So ... I get a call from the daughter says, OOPS, we were pricing the games individually and not including with the system, mom had just messed up. Ugh :x ... had her read off the games and prices (Mario Kart $30, etc). So, I showed my annoyance and asked her what kind of deal she'd give for the games. Individually priced, they were $115 (yeah, right) but she'd sell to me for $65 but, she thinks that Mario Kart disc is already in the system (which it was, hello bargaining chip :-D). So, I offered $50 for the rest, stuck to my guns more because I was annoyed than anything else, I finally got them for that.

Worth more than the $30 yeah, and worth more than the $80 I ended up paying, but still annoying to make a deal and then have someone play the oops card.

post-31049-0-21451700-1434141215_thumb.jpg

So last weekend, I found a laptop.

At the Goodwill salvage place where you can get almost anything for $1.39 a pound, first thing as I was going in, I saw a Dell D620 laptop in a bin. Grabbed it, figured if nothing else I could have fun taking it apart. (They weigh about 5 pounds, so that adds up to about 7 dollars.) I was going there on the way out of town to visit my mom, and when I got there I plugged in a Compaq laptop power supply.

The thing powered up. Then it bitched about not having a genuine Dell power supply. Then Windows XP started, so the hard drive was good, too. The screen had some dendritic blue spots around the edges, but it was pretty good for how beat up the thing was. I wasn't able to use any control panels because rundll32.exe was missing. When I got home, I pulled a good copy off of my game PC and it worked.

There were a few things in one of its recycle bins, including a minecraft crack program. Looks like it was a hand-me-down computer from parents to their kids, one of whom killed the battery by playing Minecraft all day running off of the battery. I nuked and paved it with Windows 7, got a new 3rd-party battery for $25, and already had a genuine Dell 90 watt power supply.

So a Core2 Duo laptop for just over 30 bucks. I still need to upgrade the RAM from 2GB (and one of the DIMMs requires you to take it apart to change), but it's not bad for what I paid.

So, I went to my local game store today hoping to find a decent new 3rd party snes controller, if one even exists, and was about to leave empty handed. I asked the woman behind the counter if they happened to have any snes or genesis controllers, and she said they were sold out of new ones, but she might have some old used ones (as if I wouldn't want one) in the drawer behind the counter. Well, lo and behold, she pulls out a snes ascii pad, and 2 genesis 6-button MK-1653's (the big ones) in excellent condition. Took home all three for $15. Would've paid at least that plus shipping for ONE on ebay. :)