IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Yeah, the game quality is average. Better than most of the Watara Supervision library, and games are better made than most of the Gamate ones.

It's rare and hard to find. It was released in Europe, and mostly endorsed by Euro companies (the 3 brands you find in, Creatronic, Videojet and Timlex, are French and from the Netherlands) and in South America. Some mention finding it in the US, but that might be gray import from cheap stores that picked unsold stocks from Mexico or something :P

Interestingly, all games on this system are said to have been made by Sachen. And so far, that's what I saw (under the Sachen and Commin names).

post-40273-0-01067500-1451161438_thumb.j

Christmas and Birthdays have been a little extra special the last few years as my garbageman Brother-in-Law gives me all the trash finds he has collected throughout the months. Over the last 5 years he has brought home 3 NES systems, Atari 2600 Jr, Sega Genesis, 2 Gameboys, 1 GBC, Odyssey 2000, hand fulls of games and a dozen or so LCD Handhelds, and some stuff I'm probably forgetting. For Christmas he brought me this absolutely beautiful Atari 2600 Box. There's no system but all cardboard inserts and wrapping are still in there. I find it funny that a lot of the stuff from the Garbage works and is in really good shape. But maybe that's how it lasts for 30 years is that it's packed neatly up in some attic and left alone.

post-40273-0-83430200-1451165117_thumb.j post-40273-0-76730300-1451165137_thumb.j

P.S. He says to rember to tip your garbage and mail men for the holidays...

• Like 1

This afternoon I hit the local thrift stores for post-Christmas game hunting. I found on the CD shelves of a Savers a bunch of loose PC adventure & Maxis Sim-series games. I quickly scanned the CDs with nothing really that interesting jumping out at me until I reached that guy below. I actually put the CD back on the shelf, did a double take, then pulled it off the shelf again. Since the disc was loose, I was charged the standard music CD price of $1.99.

CEA7E62E-DF21-969D-E006EF52BBF3EAB8.png

Got some Sony Trinitrons today left on curb of neighbor's house. They just had an estate sale where I didn't buy anything and they weren't on the curb the day before, so I figured they were prolly working (and they are). One is a 27" and the other smaller. Smaller one is flat with a better picture but no S Video.

post-5812-0-19002900-1451452307_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-75928800-1451452325_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well I just discovered the other day that I was missing the 80COL expansion card from my Apple IIe, so I had to order one on eBay.

Also currently trying to fix the busted sound circuit. I ripped open one of my boxes of floppies and recorded a few, but Oregon Trail just isn't the same without the music =(

Hey man, it was a thrift find a couple years ago, it's still relevant to this thread!

The guy who sold me my Commodore bundle is also trying to get rid of a bunch of power supplies: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sop/5364921731.html

The two bigger ones look like the heavy duty supplies that came with the 1764 REU. Those are much more reliable than the stock supplies and definitely worth grabbing. Might also be C128 or A500 supplies. Can't really tell from the photos.

While still in DFW, it is half a tank of gas for me to go get them. If you want them, I MIGHT be able to get over there for you, but they are gonna be heavy to ship up to WA. I was mostly posting that in case someone else was dying for these and wanted to call the guy - he's very nice and told me he's been selling Commodore stuff for years and years (good shipping etc).

I've had a couple finds lately, but was waiting to show off all at once.
I might not have gotten THAT great of a deal, but I felt I did well on both of these occasions...

Random friend sent me these Xbox games for cost of shipping.

arR1Ety.jpg

I found this Icewind Dale (looks complete as far as I'm concerned) for $2 at a goodwill.

MAOdv0J.jpg

Picked up this small pile of items for $46. I got them to go down on the guides from $50 to $35.

Z9w2wws.jpg

I could have done better on that last one, but I saw that all those guides go for quite a bit more normally. Just wish the Final Fantasy 3 guide was in better condition. :(

FINAL EDIT - If anybody is interested in any of the items (NOT THE XBOX GAMES), feel free to message me. Otherwise those guides will probably go to eBay. lol

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I found an older (1990s) Casio digital watch for $4 - still works. I would love to find an 80s Casio game or calculator watch but no such luck. Also found for $1.99 each these PS1 games: Bass Landing (no pole), moto racer world tour, nfl gameday 2001, striker pro 2000, atv quad power racing, championship motocross 2001, inn motorsports hardcore TR, supercross circuit. Nothing too rare but they are all black label with instructions and no scratches on the discs so I'm pretty happy.

post-30739-0-29842600-1452229618_thumb.jpg

Craigslist deal:

Today I got 2 Gameboy Advance AGS-101 models (pearl pink & blue). The guy wanted $140 for both and we settled on $120. I also bargained that he include a Dreamcast he was offering for $20.

The GBAs are immaculate, they both came with a charger and the pink one has a nice matching pink case. I played them both and they seem to work fine. I'm now set in the Gameboy department probably for life as I already had one AGS-101. I'd been casually looking for a backup and had even considered buying that GBBoy Colour repro device from China, but the 101s are so nice (and local) that it somehow made sense to me to do this deal.

I have never owned a Dreamcast, and I have no games. It boots up but will not play music CDs. It was also immaculate though, so I don't think this guy was trying to pull a fast one. I think I may just monkey around with it and see if I can get it to work. Anyone have a loose DC game they can send me for testing?

DC games are easy to burn and they need no modifications to play them. Just need disc juggler and a cd.

This is a great way to play some rare DC games. Sometimes the burn does not take but I have had much success in the past with disc juggler; however, the DC should play music CD's so be prepared for a possible paperweight ...

That is what I figured regarding music CDs. The menu comes up but the DC just acts like there is no disc in there at all. The guy will probably give me my money back, but it is nice and clean and the controller seems to work. I only paid $20, so I may try to tinker with it. I would like to try an actual Dreamcast game before trying anything fancy though.