IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

$30 for a PS3 that works is a killer deal, even if the hard drive ended up being dead.

One thing Sony has been good about with the PS3 and now the PS4. Is with how easy it is to replace and upgrade their hard drives, especially since they use user accessible standard 2.5in drives.

True that the drive is easy to replace and I like that. Did that twice with the PS3.

And while I am glad you can do that with the PS4, I don't relish the idea of replacing that drive. It's nearly full, and it is pain to have to download everything again. I wish they had the option to use an external HD too.

I recently found Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC) for $2 because the guy thought it was a DVD lol. My best find ever by far, since I don't get too many good deals. Its currently for sale on my sales thread since I don't really need it.

True that the drive is easy to replace and I like that. Did that twice with the PS3.

And while I am glad you can do that with the PS4, I don't relish the idea of replacing that drive. It's nearly full, and it is pain to have to download everything again. I wish they had the option to use an external HD too.

Couldn't you get an hdd enclosure and back up the original hdd? PS3 OS has that feature, IIRC.

Wow. Much like an Entex Adventure Vision, I thought I'd never see one of these in the "wild." Nowhere nearly as coveted, but I never wanted to pay eBay prices for it ($75+).

The Starplex Video Game Controller. $10. (Just scanned the AtariAge forums, apparently not that rare) I haven't seen one in all my years of collecting (approaching 10 years).

Still happy to have it. I'm a little disappointed. It's much, much lighter then expected. Buttons feel a little cheap.

With it, I saw the Miner 2049er and BC's Quest ($5 each). Other buys include: Space Shuttle NES ($5), Dreamcast ($5), Wii with AC, Wiimote Plus (with Wiimote Plus add on--doubly sensitive!) ($25), Wii Dragon Quest Swords (with additional Wii Smash Bros inside) ($5), and SNES Jim Power The Lost Dimension in 3-D ($5).

021416 Swap

I know those price tags! Any chance those games came from Disc Replay? The one in Flint had lots of 2600 carts as well as a few 5200, TG-16, Lynx, and other lesser stuff. I think they still have Odyssey 2 voice module.

They sure did! Took a journey across town to hit the Roseville and Sterling Heights stores. Frequent the Livonia one, but just found out that there are more stores in the area. Need to check out Flint and Taylor some time soon. Was surprised to see a couple Channel F carts at both locations.

Since the year rolled over a lot of stuff has come into the store where I volunteer, and I've found a couple of nice bits at another store as well. Nothing specifically Atari related, but at this point I'm not complaining! Only now am I caught up enough that I can show off some pictures...

post-6115-0-36334500-1455584459_thumb.jpg

Easily the single most valuable game to come in since I've been at the store. I would have snarfed it for myself had it not been sealed, but I couldn't in good conscience sit on this rare of a sealed game. So, off to eBay it went. The store was quite happy with the price tag.

post-6115-0-80668300-1455584691_thumb.jpg

A little something for everyone! Many of the XBox and XBox 360 games are still up for grabs in the for-sale thread if anyone is interested.

post-6115-0-38138900-1455584705_thumb.jpg

You don't expect LEGO sets to come in complete, let alone boxed and with the instructions. Plenty of sets have indeed arrived in various states of incompletion. But this is the second set I've seen that was fully intact and rather nicely kept. This one also made an eBay buyer happy.

post-6115-0-17466700-1455584805_thumb.jpg

This one made me happy. It's a promo 45, the kind that were shipped to radio stations back in the day. Promo 45's generally don't fetch that much more than regular 45's, but hey, it's Weird Al!

post-6115-0-25929000-1455584877_thumb.jpg

More good vinyl for the record collection.

post-6115-0-80509800-1455584922_thumb.jpg

And this isn't even all the PS2 games that have come in! Most of them are also now up for grabs.

post-6115-0-15873500-1455584996_thumb.jpg

A Genesis 1 with a few accessories was donated this week. It wasn't one of the good, early Genesis 1's, but it did have a great assortment of games to go with it. Most of these are for sale as well.

post-6115-0-45617300-1455586617_thumb.jpg

Now I have a way to test donated PSP games!

And finally...

post-6115-0-41558900-1455586648_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting little beast. Obviously it's a cheap no-name plug-and-play, but at first glance it seems like it might be a legitimate no-name plug-and-play, with some sports games that are undoubtedly chintzy but perhaps actually legal. But no, the system turns out to be much, much less. The first clues are in the details listed on the box front:

post-6115-0-94047600-1455586770_thumb.jpg

111 "16 bit" games with a way to play "8 bit" cartridges? Sounds fishy...

post-6115-0-55783400-1455586832_thumb.png

Sure enough, it's a pirate NoaC. However, for a pirate NoaC it's got some interesting things going for it. Besides the Famicom cartridge port, it boasts two wireless controllers, which actually work pretty well despite using infrared. Each controller also has its own reset button, which resets the entire system back to the game menu. That means this is the perfect controller for rage-quitting on your partner! The list of allegedly 111 games is decent overall, but in typical pirate fashion there are some amusing misspellings (here is your change to play Milliepade), deceptive titles (Toy Story, Frogger and Astroid are not what the names suggest), and of course, duplicates. Oh, and the optional "add-on wireless accessories" the box promises? The only add-on accessory is a light-gun, which isn't wireless at all.

So yeah, in the end it's just another pirate NoaC, but I still have to give kudos to the creators for the packaging: clever and deceptive, as any good pirate product should be!

• Like 1

Well, not much fun for me lately. Not in ages. Here are mine in the past couple months.

* A CIB copy of Chibi-Robo for Gamecube for 12 bucks at a thrift store. Nice find that.

* Atari Video Pinball (C-380) for 99 cents at a thrift store. The Power button is toast, but I wired an alt switch to the bottom of the man board and it works like a champ. Missing the battery door though, but who cares. It plays great!

* An original NDS in great cosmetic condition with the power cord for 5 bucks.

* Vice: Project doom for the NES for 15 dollars at a used book store. Not a huge find, but way cheaper than I'd buy it online.

Edited by Lendorien

Found four 1GB DDR2 memory sticks at Savers in Reno NV for $6. They work perfectly with my Dell running Windows Vista Ultimate, I went from 2 GB to 4 GB and it runs so much better. I also found another Bloom County book and a Mickey Mouse cookie stamp (unused) for my wife for $1. Thanks Savers!

Well had an interesting thrift day today, found a few goodies:

Pictionary ($1) and 20 Questions ($2) both never opened - Goodwill

post-30739-0-55219800-1456200926_thumb.jpg

Tannhauser board game complete and all 10 figurines are unbroken ($4) - Goodwill

post-30739-0-17736400-1456201017_thumb.jpg

Robotix R-1500 and R-1100 (missing the pilots - $4) - Goodwill

post-30739-0-62801700-1456201104_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-47304300-1456201128_thumb.jpg

Nice extra goodies within the parts of the Robotix set

post-30739-0-34028300-1456201168_thumb.jpg

Then got this off CL for $70 - the guy said he would give me my money back if it did not work. He was unable to test it because no power supply but I will order one. Light Sixer.

post-30739-0-38874900-1456201244_thumb.jpg

I know it seems like a lot for this but it also came with these:

post-30739-0-34166700-1456201322_thumb.jpg

I really hope this works. Most of the games are not super rare but possibly includes "Shooting Gallery", "Frankenstein" (hopefully we will see which one), "Munchkin" (???) and "Air Race" (I have no idea which game this is but I sure hope to find out). I few roms I could not identify. Some rarity 6/7 games here.

• Like 1

The picture in your robotix extra had reference to JC Pansies. The Darth Vader and maybe those tan cloak could be worth more than all of what you spent on Goodwill.

EPROM are probably homemade stuff, those were somewhat common back in the day if you knew someone who has EPROM burner and game image or a way to dump 2600 games. Most of the EPROM are pretty old design, ceramic with gold like design, they may go for decent money on eBay if they are working and wipe-verified.

The tan cloak is Prune Face's and the two Star Wars weapons are for Klaatu/Nikto/Lando and Klaatu Skiff Guard. I believe the wrestler is Rowdy Roddy Piper (LJN 1985). Yeah, I'm sure I can sell the extras/accessory stuff for a few bucks. I will have to wait for my 2600 power supply to come in so I can test the light sixer and the EPROM's (and the paddles) but I will probably sell most of it if I can - and if it doesn't work - hey, I get my money back!

• Like 1

Oh gaud. Skip it. Thanks for putting that ad song back into my brain. Wait. $120?!?!?

So seen this at goodwill today for $2.99 I figured my twin boys almost 3 would get a "kick" out of it. However the reseller in me lol had to look it up. I don't think I can give it to them anymore. The only one I can find available is on amazon for $120

I might have to plop this bad boy on ebay.

100_2546.JPG

So However the reseller in me lol had to look it up. I don't think I can give it to them anymore. The only one I can find available is on amazon for $120

I might have to plop this bad boy on ebay.

That's just one of those "fishing for idiots" sales. Nobody is paying stupid prices for those silly things. Don't be one of THOSE people who puts stock in ASKING prices.